Jambands.ca

Ham

bouche

Any ham tips or suggestions? I'm a real neophyte when it comes to ham. I don't like buying already cooked and smoked ham labeled with a 21 percentage of protein, but that's all there is. Different brands like PC, Lafleur (in quebec), Schneiders, etc, make me wonder where all the good ham is.

Anyway, if you were to buy a generic PC black forest ham, what would you do with it?

Also, how would you go about making a truely stellar ham? What would you buy?

Ham Tropicale

1 fully cooked boneless whole ham

1-15oz can sliced peaches

1 small can crushed pineapple

2 tblsp cornstarch

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Dash ground cloves

1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate,thawed

1/2 cup whole maraschino cherries

1/4 cup light raisins

1/2 cup broken pecan halves

Place ham on rack in a shallow roasting pan.Score ham in diamonds,cutting an in. deep.Roast ham according to roasting chart.

Drain peaches and pineapple,reserving syrup.

In saucepan,combine cornstarch and spices.Stir in reserved syrups,orange juice concentrate,and a cup of water.Cook and stir until till mixture thickens and bubbles.Spoon some sauce over ham last 30 min.of cooking time.Continue baking.Baste occasionally.Reserve a few peaches and whole cherries for garnish.

To same sauce add peaches,pinapple,cherries,raisins and pecans.

Simmer 10 minutes.GArnish with reserved peaches and cherries,spoon on a little fruit sauce.

Remaining sauce is used at the table!!!

Enjoy!

So we ended up doing a simple ham roast on night 1 with smashed root veggies and a salad.

Night two I diced it up, mixed it with some ricotta and mozzarella cheese and kale and stuffed cannelloni with it. Topped it off with some tomato sauce and we at that for a couple nights.

It made two days worth of lunch sammys as well.

I am officially hammed out.