Jambands.ca

Private Jets!

OB1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most feasable solutions for Canada are likely cycles, transit such as fast (bullit?) trains linking the coasts, and (one day zero) low-emission hybrids or new fuel cells (hydrogen?).

We should be building all of this stuff NOW. Development shouldn't excuse private jets.

These old business models are lost. We cannot grow exponentially on this planet forever, growth isn't sustainable forever.

Only a little.

Now do you mean bicycles or people movers...like tiny cars??

Bullet trains are awesome and it would be great to have a network of high speed trains...

But the general mood everywhere is that everything's so expensive and blah blah blah...

y'think we'd ever really spend the money to do something worthwhile when there are alternatives cheaper in the short term?

Does anybody happen to know how much money the average auto industry worker in Japan makes?

I'm calling into doubt all the blame government and others place on the labour force costing too much. I may be wrong, but I beleive it rests solely on the shit products they make.

I've been thinking about this and I still don't buy the high cost of labour argument. Don't high paid "grass-cutters" buy more vehicles and participate more fully in the ecomony than minimum wage folks?

Doesn't paying your employees well only help to sustain your business, if these people are actually buying your product? Maybe these folks are all buying Honda.

So the blame is not on labour (IMO), it's on manegment and their wasteful ways, their high salaries and unwillingness to change and make a product that suits the times. I mean they just rebuilt the line in Oshawa to build Camero's. Camero's for facks sake. How many billions of dollars are these jet setting whack jobs asking for? I can't believe government has the gaul to blame GM's misfortunes on labour. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the grass cutters who decided this thing would be a good idea.

2010-Chevrolet-Camaro1.jpg

# A 3.6L DI VVT V6 engine with a projected 300 hp and manual six-speed transmission is standard on LS and LT models. Choose the available six-speed automatic with TAPshift to achieve an estimated 26 mpg highway1

# A 6.2L V8 with a projected 400 hp with six-speed automatic transmission with TAPshift includes Active Fuel Management technology to achieve 23 mpg highway1

# For the top-of-the-line, the 6.2L V8 with manual six-speed transmission produces a projected 422 hp

Shouldn't we be making vehicles that can at least double the mpg claims made here?

People aren't not buying camaros because the fuel consumption...if they're going to buy a performance vehicle they'd wind up buying something cooler but that is a bitchin' camaro.

I think the high end landscapers have company trucks or work vehicles, as it's easy to set one's self up with a small business license.

To not blame wasteful hiring practices and to be a tradesman is a bit of a conflict of interest, no?

we should be making vehicles that can at lest double the claims made there but it's not the case of camaro versus civic, it's releasing available technology and the big 3 admitting there's a coup against the consumer just won't happen.

1931 electric car, 90MPH, POWERED BY RADIO!

Every inch of this current mess is a waste - even our time talking about it cause it shouldn't have come down to it being a topic of discussion like this. But hey - i guess somebody's gotta fuck it up big for them to smarten up. Maybe it's great that we get to see this and have the example to work with.

I've been thinking about this and I still don't buy the high cost of labour argument. Don't high paid "grass-cutters" buy more vehicles and participate more fully in the ecomony than minimum wage folks?

Isn't the answer to this question now economically proven as "No"?

Isn't the answer to this question now economically proven as "No"?

No, it's not proven at all. A guy making $8.00 an hour can not afford a new car at all, unless they're REALLY smart with their money. America will never get its feet back on the ground by cutting back wages. That's preposterous. It will do nothing more than cause MORE bankruptcies.

Yeah, maybe I am in a bit of a conflict of interest as far as having an opinion on this. I've just been made shop steward (in one of the largest construction projects on the planet right now) so I'm obviously going to have a pro-Union/worker bias. Then again, when the CEO is making what is it,

$38 million a year, it's very hard to condemn the workers making $50-100 Thousand a year. As sad as it is to say, I really need these guys to make cars and consume electricity for my own future employment.

Edited by Guest