Jambands.ca

Block Heater?

headymamamyrna

Maybe someone can figure this out for me!

If the block heater uses 450W(0.45kwh) and the average cost for a night is $0.41)

What about $5.6 kwh?

What is the average cost for a night?

It doesn't seem like its that much considering we only need to plug a car in a few nights in JAnuary!!

if you mean, 5.6 kWh consumption (which would be like four hair dryers on full blast), then it would be $5.10 ... (5.6/0.45 x $0.41).

there are three things you need to consider. one, the consumption of the heater - here, 0.450 kWh. that means it uses 0.45 kilowatts per hour. two, the rate you pay for electricity - most areas are 10cents to 13cents per kWh. and three, the number of hours you run the heater.

so, if your heater uses 0.45 kW (or 450 watts - which is actually typical for a car block heater) and if you run it for two hours, you will consume 0.9 kW. if you pay 10cents for kWh of electricity, this would cost you 9 cents overall.

i think also you have to consider the fact that if oyu didnt use the heater at all, or less, then you'd presumably have to run the car a while longer to warm up the engine - which adds a whole other cost into the total energy equation ... although im not so sure we are still talking about cars here, lol.

our car is almost 30 and it started without a block heater when it was -20 the other morning! Boy was I proud :-) However your fuel consumption is much better for the first few mins after starting if you use the heater. Plus you get cabin heat a lot quicker.

Block heaters are usually a 500w element - that is a relatively large energy draw. I would definitely get a timer if I were you sine the only heat that will help you out is the 2 or 3 hours worth that happen right before you star the car. The whole rest of the night you are essentially heating the outdoors. It's like running a duct from your furnace out into the street...