Jambands.ca

Zappa Special on CBC Radio

AD

I missed part one, but there are still two parts to come.

January 24: I am all day and night: The Music of Frank Zappa Part 2

Saturday, January 24 on Radio Two at 12 noon in Ontario, Quebec, Central, Mountain and Pacific; 1 p.m. in Maritimes; 1:30 p.m. in Nfld. And Sunday, January 25 on Radio 1 at 8 p.m. in Ontario, Quebec, Central, Mountain and Pacific; 9 p.m. in Maritimes; 9:30 p.m. in Nfld.

A three-part series on iconoclast Frank Zappa. The genre didn't matter - rhythm and blues, do-wop, jazz, classical - Frank Zappa embraced them all and folded them all into his own compositions. Frank Zappa made popular music that was challenging, and serious music that was listenable; to him there was only one type of music, good music; there was only one audience, all of us; and there was only one time, the present. You could also say that he wrote just one piece of music, a work, eclectic as it is, that happens to run for about a hundred hours. This series explores Frank Zappa as a composer, through the memories of some of those who knew him best: his family, his friends, and some of the musicians who worked with him.

In this programme, we’ll hear Gail Zappa, Frank's wife; Ruth Underwood, the percussionist who first heard him at a famous concert at New Yorks Garrick theatre in 1967; Elliot Ingber, a guitarist in the early Mothers of Invention, and Joe Travers, drummer and vaultmeister of the Zappa archives. I am all day and night was written and produced by Philip Coulter

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/schedule_ITM.html

Parts 1 and 2 can be streamed at http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/archives_ITM.html

i liked her anecdote about finding that little slip of paper in her Zappa stuff and figured out it was the opening sequence to St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast. She "transcribed" it after discussing it with Frank.

I also loved her description of Frank and how everything he did was so purposeful and him. She also said he was a schmuck ;)

I'm still waiting for the downloads of both Toronto shows. Since those shows I've been listening to Zappa non stop. Live at The Roxy, We're only in it for the money, Just another band from LA, Uncle Meat, Playground Psychotics, Chungas Revenge, Ahead of thier time......the list goes on.

what are your favourite Zappa albums/songs?

what are your favourite Zappa albums/songs?

My favourite Zappa albums are (in no particular order) "Zappa In New York", "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar", "The Yellow Shark", and "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2". As for songs, it's tougher, but the Inca-Roads-derived tunes on "Shut Up..." rank high for me (as does "five-five-FIVE", "Canarsie", and "Ship Ahoy"); "Montana" is a fave as well.

Aloha,

Brad

There's a new 40th anniversary release of "Lumpy Gravy/We're only in it for the Money" called simply "Lumpy Money". It's delayed but available for pre-order from zappa.com. These are probably the most psychedelic albums on earth.

From Billboard:

The Zappa Family Trust will kick off a comprehensive campaign to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the late Frank Zappa's albums next month. "Lumpy Money," a three-CD "audio documentary" due out Nov. 25, is the first offering in the series -- and, according to Zappa's widow Gail, the most unique.

"These two records happen to be Frank's masterworks," Zappa tells Billboard.com, "so this is the most ambitious of all the (40th anniversary) projects. The challenge is how to educate the audience to understand what 'Lumpy Gravy' and 'We're Only in It for the Money' are, and what they're part of.

"So in this particular case we have to be more about the process than the outtakes. You're going to be listening to how Frank worked, all the little developments of these pieces as opposed to just an outtake or another performance of that particular piece. You're going to hear how he got there from here."

The "Lumpy Money" package will feature two separate mixes of each album, done by Frank himself. It will include feature the first official release of the instrumental, Igor Stravinsky-influenced orchestral "ballet" version of "Lumpy Gravy" that Zappa recorded in 1967 for Capitol Records but decided to revamp, adding rock musicians and eventually releasing it on MGM/Verve four months after "We're Only in it For the Money" in 1968. Gail Zappa says a "sister" project will be released shortly after "Lumpy Money" that will contain more music from those sessions.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003876040

There's a new 40th anniversary release of "Lumpy Gravy/We're only in it for the Money" called simply "Lumpy Money". It's delayed but available for pre-order from zappa.com.

It's out now, all pre-orders shipped on friday. It's also a limited run but have no idea how many were made. Can't wait to here it though as Money is my favorite Zappa album.

Only thing is that it is very pricey, as in $50 USD for 3 cd's.

Edited by Guest