Jambands.ca

Go Jays Go!! Fan Forum '09

Cully

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Injured left-hander Ricky Romero threw from flat ground on Monday and again yesterday. He expects to throw from the mound today. His right oblique is feeling a lot better and he thinks he will miss just two starts. He is eligible to return from the disabled list Tuesday.

Now THAT is great news.

Jansen pitched 3 innings in Class A yesterday. Had a good outing. No runs, couple hits, more k then w.

I thought there was a chance for Marcum a lot earlier then September. He is scheduled to pitch a bullpen tomorrow. Fantasy league says mid-August at the earliest.

And sorry.. it was McGowan that was originally mid-June but now they're saying maybe not at all.

From today's mailbag on Richard Griffin's blog:

Q: Hey Richard,

The Jays have now called up two relievers to fill spots in their bullpen (Bill Murphy and Bryan Bullington). Why have they not summoned Jeremy Accardo?

Adam M., Toronto

A: That is a very good question and one that I’m sure Accardo would like an answer to as well. I asked Brad Arnsberg about that on Tuesday afternoon and he got very defensive about the decision, asking me why I thought Accardo should have been called up. He claimed that there were three candidates put forward at the time of Ryan’s injury and that Bullington was the one that was having the best year.

Accardo has more success at the major-league level than the other guys and is clearly healthy. At Vegas he has pitched eight innings, with eight hits, two walks and four Ks. The Jays’ organization is clearly down on Accardo. They have been that way since the 2008 season, when after a bad start and an injury (forearm soreness), he was sent to the minors and never brought back. His season was shut down on August 20.

There has been an organizational perception of Accardo that he does not work hard enough. It is difficult for me to say, but it’s a head-scratcher that he was passed over in April behind Murphy and Bullington.

From today's mailbag on Richard Griffin's blog:

There has been an organizational perception of Accardo that he does not work hard enough...

If this is true, it's just another example of Retardy putting his personal feelings ahead of what's best for the team.

Even if Accardo is lazy and difficult to manage, why not bring him up, let him pitch, put some decent numbers together and put him on the trading block? Unless his skill has declined so dramatically that it's not an option, I'd say what do they have to lose?

Outfielders Take Knee, Infielders Move Up In New 'Jason Varitek Shift'

BOSTON—As the 2009 baseball season progresses, major-league managers are defending against Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek by employing what they call the "Varitek Shift," a defensive maneuver in which infielders move up past the pitcher's mound and outfielders take a knee and relax. "It's very effective," Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters. "If Jason makes contact with the ball, which is rare in itself, he usually hits slow dribblers that catch infielders by surprise because of how weak they're hit. So, by moving the infielders up, and having the pitcher rush home plate after the pitch has been thrown, [Varitek] has virtually no chance of reaching base. If runners are on when he comes up, we may have the outfielders cover first, second, and third to ensure a double or triple play." Gardenhire added that it doesn't matter if the switch-hitting Varitek bats right- or left-handed, as the shift is foolproof.

From The Onion, who else?

I am not a fan of Accardo. He has had some great games, but seemed to hit a wall last season (just like League) He does seem like the perfect understudy for Ryan, as he makes me just as nervous when he is on the mound!

Go Topes!

What is Rios' strong point again? Dude don't hit and looks scared of the fucking ball out in right.

If he would have had that one off his glove in the bottom of 2 it would have changed the whole complexion of the game. No more coco leadoff double in 3rd...

I had to turn it off on the miss that got Tallet yanked.

How sweet would Lyncum or whatever his name is be...