Cully

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From http://www.drunkjaysfans.com/:

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Make Him Piss His Pants Out His Ass

Late last week when some genius with a calendar and a rudimentary understanding of the New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays starting rotations figured out that A.J. Burnett would be returning to Toronto on Tuesday night to face Roy Halladay, I was as excited as a retarded commenter coming across a spelling mistake in one of our posts.

It's not that A.J. Burnett shit all over the city of Toronto during his time here or that he even really disappointed fans by signing a massive contract with an opposing team in the same division, although it would've been a bit more swell if the Jays got a sweeter draft pick out of the arrangement. What makes Burnett notable is that he was a good pitcher with an actual personality on a team whose players, for the most part, make mayonnaise seem like a spice.

He stood out from among the rest of the company men by racing giant burrito costumes, saying he preferred other towns to Toronto, and tipping his cap to not-so-adoring fans. He was frustrating, endearing and often brilliant, but never boring to Jays fans.

Early in his first season as a Toronto Blue Jay, Burnett became a lightning rod for disappointment, opting to stay on the disabled list despite no physical evidence of injury. And he would stay there for long stretches of his first two years in a Jays uniform. In fact, at points during the 2007 season, it seemed highly doubtful that Burnett would even be given the opportunity to opt out of his contract with the Blue Jays at the end of the next year.

Yet, I imagine not by coincidence, his 2008 opt out year proved to be the best season of his career, leading the league in strikeouts and setting a career high in innings pitched, reversing many opinions from Jays fans along the way.

As Stoeten previously mentioned, it was roughly five months ago that Toronto fans were giving Burnett a well deserved standing ovation, but believe-you-fucking-me, clapping will not be on the menu this evening.

A.J. Burnett should get the piss booed out of him, but not because of Peter Abraham's attempt at stirring up those reactionary folks in Toronto.

The building is dim and dank with its retractable roof closed, and the atmosphere, [burnett] said, left something to be desired. Burnett can still hear one particularly annoying song encouraging fans to buy pizza echoing in his head [ed. note: what the fuck is he talking about?].

Nope. No matter how wrong it may be, Burnett should get booed because he left Toronto in pursuit of more money with the New York Yankees. Everyone (and by everyone, I mean a great majority) booing Burnett tonight would've made the exact same decision that he made if they were anywhere near as fortunate to have a similar option laid out in front of them.

But it doesn't fucking matter because in baseball, rules are rules. And the rule is that fans boo the piss out of players like Burnett.

Just as our own Pete Puma knows that as far as his former teammates go, "come game time, [they]'re not pals anymore. They know that. If somebody gets drilled, somebody gets drilled. They understand that. [He]'ll pitch [his] game, the best [he] can.'' The same holds true for Toronto fans.

So, while I have nothing personal, so to speak, against Burnett, as I do with Alex Rodriguez or Jonathan Papelbon, I am going to exercise my full right as a fan to voice my displeasure at a player I used to cheer for.

Fucking suck it, Burnett.

I'll be cheering against him but I don't blame him for jack shit, he walked for a 5 year 82.5 million dollar contract - I would have as well.

I'm way more pissed at Blue Jays management for the contract that they put together - a complete piece of crap.

They took a pitcher with arm problems, gave him 10-12 million a year with a contract whose terms were basically if you pitch anywhere near the level you're supposed to for the bucks you're getting you can walk in three but if you suck it the fuck up and pitch the way you always pitched we'll continue to over pay for two more years at 12 million.

I could be wrong, maybe the jays could opt out as well after three years but I don't think so.

I'm way more pissed at Blue Jays management for the contract that the Blue Jay's managment put together - a complete piece of crap.

They took a pitcher with arm problems, gave him 10-12 million a year with a contract whose terms were basically if you pitch anywhere near the level you supposed to for the bucks you're getting you can walk in three but if you suck it the fuck up and pitch the way you always pitched we'll continue to over pay for two more years at 12 million.

I never thought of it that way. That's awesome Sloth. Retardy strikes again.

Yeah, like I said, if the Jays had an option after three as well, it's not so bad but I honestly don't think they did - someone on here probably knows....Basher?

But the way I currently understand it, it was a pathetic contract by Jays...unprofessional and potentially disastrous. They deserve what they got.

Yeah, I'm sure the Jays have a harder time luring in the free agent but it was basically a "if you play well" you're out of here contract so why would you ever sign it in the first place.

They way over paid him for his potential not what he had actually done....

Best years

2002 FLA W:12 L:9 ERA:3.30

2005 FLA W:12 L:12 ERA:3.44

He was a pitcher with arm problems, I think they could have gotten him with the 55 million over five with a Blue Jay option on the fifth year. That still would have been a huge contract for him and I'm sure more than what anyone else offered. The Jays blew it.

Maybe Management felt they had all the right pieces in 2006 and they were just a number 2 short so they let AJ's agent bend them over - I don't think the Jays were ready quite yet but I guess they did.

Cully' date=' did your girlfriend buy you tickets for tomorrow nights game?[/quote']

Basher laughed heartily at this little comment...then I pointed out how he got tickets to tonight's game...

;)

Have fun, boys!

I heard an Adam email on the Fan590 about this yesterday, I thought it sounded like a Cullyism.

Interesting to see how many people here can see into the future with such confidence.

Whitey, did you also know Tampa was going to win the east last year? ;)

No, I definately did not see that coming. I hope they do win 100 games, but their mid season collapses have been too frequent in the past years.

I am going to the game tomorrow night. Miss the big show by one game. Hopefully CC gets lit up.

I am guessing a lot of fans will be there tonight. When we went to pick up our tickets this morning with our passes all we could get is 18 rows back at the 1st baseline in the 500's. Usually 30 minutes before game time we can get a few rows back behind home plate.