Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 09/10

badams

It's not impossible that once teams start gearing up for a playoff run that they will want to pick up a bruiser and Laraque may be willing to drop his NTC for a playoff run. Let's not despair yet.

Why would anyone gearing up for a playoff run think BGL would help?? He won't fight, he won't intimidate, he may smile someone to death...

Let's just face the fact that this contract was Gainey's worst move (IMO), and it got worse due to BGL's constant back / groin / media / complaining problems... BGL is a big piece of shit in my books as he did absolutely nothing but take up cap space for 2.5 years... good riddance veggie-boy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

Just trying to offer a glimmer of hope to a despondent Booche.

Laraque has the same amount of penalty minutes this season as Plekanec. That's a sad stat.

(And he has only been with the Habs for 1.5 years....I know, I know....it seems so much longer than that)

Actually, I was referring to having to absorb his buyout at 50% going forward...

PS - I'm bored out of my trees in Brandon Manitoba sitting beside huge farm equipment and talking to farmers...thank god for WIFI...

We never did get a chance to rant about the Price steamroll last night... if Hamr wasn't in the way, we would have had a full out brawl!!! Conklin was all the way down inside the Habs blueline (which actually was the ONLY extra 2 minutes out of all of that..FUCKIN BS)... I REALLY wanted to see Price throw them, but not really against Cam Jansen...

Cam comments: "I think he was trying to challenge me," said Janssen. "I couldn't stop laughing.

"We'll see what happens next time we play, but I think they'll have (enforcer) Georges Laraque in the lineup that time. Maybe I'll try scoring a goal on him instead."

Hammer's greatest contribution to the team throughout the life of his contract may have occured last night, but I certainly will say I was hoping to see Ty and Carey go a round or two.

"I think he was trying to challenge me," said Janssen. "I couldn't stop laughing."

I didnt see that comment. Hilarious. I wish I could say I knew how Cam felt but in my experience I made my opponents laugh when I 'challenged' them. It happened far more than I would like to admit. Hell, I even made teammates laugh at me.

Guest Low Roller

From Stubbs about 3 hours ago: " Conor McKenna of Team 990 says BGL is at studio right now but can't go on air because of a gag order"

The press conference was organized after the gag order. I'm guessing that Laraque was walked through what to say and what not to say.

Guest Low Roller

Laraque had a mic on him during this fight, which goes a long way to explain what's going on. Essentially he asks people if they want to fight... (scroll to 0:45 of this video) so the obvious counter to Laraque is to say "no, thank you" and skate away rendering him completely useless to the team.

Somewhere in the midst of Jaro Halak's big weekend (two critical games against strong opposition, two wins, 64 shots, one goal) I recalled a curious fact mentioned by Alain Crête on RDS a few weeks back: Never in his NHL career (his Canadiens career, in other words) has Halak started a game after a loss.

Never, in other words, does this young man take the ice without a mountain of pressure on his shoulders: lose, and he sits. Even a win doesn't always guarantee him the start the next time out.

But now, with this curious up-and-down season coming up on the Olympic break and then the short, furious scramble for playoff spots that is sure to follow, you have to wonder: Will the battling Slovak finally be given the job he has legitimately won a half-dozen times?

Or will Jacques Martin and Bob Gainey go on with business as usual, giving Price the bulk of the work and trotting him out every time Halak has the misfortune to lose a game?

To tell the truth, Price has been much better this season than I thought he would be. He's been better - but he hasn't been as good as Halak.

No matter. Price still gets a free ride from the organization, the media and most fans. Every time the opposition scores a goal, the broadcast crew (it doesn't seem to matter which crew it is, TSN, RDS or CBC) immediately declares that "you couldn't blame Price for that one."

Maybe, maybe not. If Price is never to blame, why is his record so much worse than Halak's? It seems that enough pucks are sneaking through to add up to this curious but dramatic discrepancy in the won-loss record: Halak is 14-8 (overtime record included) while Price is 11-20.

(Price also has a 2.73 goals-against and a .913 save percentage compared with Halak's 2.45 and .927 but I'll leave it to more discerning observers to decide whether that constitutes a significant statistical difference.)

I don't remotely consider myself an expert on playing the position but I would also dispute the universal contention that Price is the more technically solid goalie. Halak doesn't drop to his knees three or four strides before the play reaches him, he's quicker tracking the puck from one side of the net to the other and he doesn't have the one strange flaw in Price's game that is so unusual in an NHL netminder.

When a puck is rocketed straight at Price's head, he reacts as you or I would react: he throws up his hands in panic to protect his face. More than once this season, a shot that would otherwise have gone over the net has deflected off Price's glove and in.

It doesn't happen often but, like the other pucks that sneak through for whatever reason, in a season of tight games and slender margins, it often takes only one soft goal to determine the outcome - just as one big save can make the difference the other way.

Without Halak's big weekend, the whole Canadiens world could look very different Monday morning. They could be stuck at 51 points, good for 13th place in the conference, ahead of Toronto and Carolina.

That should be enough to assure that Halak carries the mail the rest of the way. So why do we feel that with the next loss (if not before) he will once again find himself watching from the sidelines while the strange Carey Price saga continues on the ice?

Stay tuned.

Some hopeful cap news concerning Laraque:

"For Laraque to play in Sweden, he would need the permission of the Canadiens. To get that, he would have to waive his no-movement clause (which surely he would agree to do if he wants to play in Sweden) and the club would put him on waivers. If no other NHL club claims him, he would be free to play outside the NHL, say, in Europe.

The Canadiens would continue to pay Laraque, but his salary would not count against the cap. His roster spot on the Habs would be freed up – the team currently has 22, plus Laraque. The Canadiens would still be responsible for Laraque's salary next season, the final of his three-year contract, though there has been an indication the team would buy him out at this season's end."

Let's go WAI-VERS LET'S GO!!