Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 09/10

badams

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you are still wondering what the hell happened (lord knows I still was)

Here's the deal as per the NHL Rule Book, with a bit of my POV added:

I copped the official explanation for the goal being disallowed from the NHL On The Fly post game highlights.

As Ovechkin did not play the puck on the goal, but interfered with Price by charging and shoving Hal Gill onto him, the goal was disallowed in accordance to Rule 78.5 (v) of the Official NHL Rulebook. It reads:

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:

(v) When an attacking player has interfered with a goalkeeper in his goal crease.

What is most mystifying to many, is that if Ovechkin did interfere with Price as was judged, why was there not a penalty call?

It's a good question, and the answer is a simple one.

A minor penalty cannot be called once a play is over, (unless it is to change a two minute minor to a four or five minute call in regards to a high stick cut).

In other words, since the whistle had blown and the play had ended, a penalty could have only been called against Ovechkin if an infraction had been signalled at the time of the incident.

Also curious is how a goal can be disallowed after an official points out that it is a goal on the ice.

That answer is equally simple.

The on ice official's only task in judging goals is to signify that the puck has indeed fully crossed the goal line. Again, in other words, what goes on beyond the parameter of the puck crossing the line can be brought into play after the fact.

Great work by Sergei last night, and a solid win all around.

Great work by Carey coming off the bench and make some great saves for a big win.

Fuck the haters Pricer - I'm sure [color:purple]someone will find a negative spin after a huge win over the league's hottest team... oh, he already did...

capt.92dfc57ab7e24cc2beece5cc4ef4d334.capitals_canadiens_hockey_gmh110.jpg

We have 2 good goalies right now, roll with it!

You see a guy making some great saves, I see a guy floundering a 3 goal lead and getting bailed out by his teammates (and more importantly, costing me points in my keeper league!).

I understand not wanting to give up on the guy, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade.

You see a guy making some great saves, I see a guy floundering a 3 goal lead and getting bailed out by his teammates (and more importantly, costing me points in my keeper league!).

And he still has an anger management problem if his reaction to the 5th goal is any indication.

Please enlighten me to this "[color:purple]"bailed out by his teammates"??? theory... When was that? When they shut it down and quit forechecking for the entire 3rd period after it worked like a charm for the 2nd?

1st goal: Ryan O'Byrne being Ryan O'Burnt at his finest and falling to cause a breakaway[color:purple]"bailed out by his teammates"???

2nd goal: no one stopping that 2 on 1

3rd goal: Screened point shot after a bad penalty by Pleks [color:purple]"bailed out by his teammates"???

4th goal: Price should have had it, but it was another 2 on 1 with Ovie cutting to the net, who would you be thinking about?? He got caught cheating, Price knew it...

5th goal: Was a mess and an ugly re-direct goal, but to say Price was 100% to blame is a bit of a stretch don't ya think...everyone in front of him just stood still

I just don't understand, if you don't play like Patrick Roy in the playoffs, people kill the goalies in Montreal... watch your back Jaro~

Note: The Habs were playing the hottest team in the NHL, and Price won his game when no one else could over the last 14, and people are critcizing his play? Gimme a fucking break?? Guy comes out after 2 weeks of riding the pine, and beats the best...

A minor penalty cannot be called once a play is over' date=' (unless it is to change a two minute minor to a four or five minute call in regards to a high stick cut).[/quote']

Really? What about roughing minors, unsportsmanlike, instigators, etc? I thought the referee could call any penalty at any time. Hmm. That can't be right.

Habs call up PK Subban

Greeeeeeat. Another young blue chip prospect they can completely ruin by bringing them up too early. When are they going to learn?????

Here's the cycle of things at the Bell Center. Fans fall in love immediately with prospect because they are told how great he is going to be. The adrenalin helps the kid perform and inevitably sets expectations WAY too high. Cracks in the armour begin to appear, consistency begins to drop (which is totally normal for a young player), fans begin to turn, play gets worse, booing starts to happen and player hits his alltime low in career. Fans have now lost patience in player and demand he be traded. When he isnt traded, they demand for the GM to be fired. When that doesnt happen, Tony Marinara writes an article stating he thinks the Habs should purposely tank for a few years to allow them to get high draft picks so they can become the next Washington or Pittsburgh.

Note to Habs: Allow the kids a chance to grow in Hamilton and allow confidence to become unbreakable.

Guest Low Roller
TSN's Bob McKenzie reports via Twitter that the Canadiens have acquired Dominic Moore from the Florida Panthers for a second round drafty choice in 2011.

$1,100,000 pro-rated until the end of the season and then UFA. Sure, why not. They seem to have given up on Lapierre as a center anyways.

Guest Low Roller

Subban is an emergency back-up in case Markov or Gorges can't go. Game time decision.

Price in nets tonight (Game time is 6pm!)

Moore has #42. Last player to hold that number was Perezhogin (who technically still belongs to the Habs).

Gauthier scheduled press conference for 4pm today, an hour after trade deadline.