Jambands.ca

HBO to air Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tonight at 8

bouche

The 25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concert features legendary rock performers including Stevie Wonder, U2, Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Simon and Garfunkel, Metallica, Aretha Franklin, Crosby, Stills and Nash and the Jeff Beck Band.

Guest performers include James Taylor, Sting, Patti Smith, Smokey Robinson, Lou Reed, Bonnie Raitt, Ozzy Osbourne, Tome Morello, Sam Moore, Darlene Love, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Jerry Lee Lewis, Annie Lennox, John Legend, Lenny Kravitz, Mick Jagger, Buddy Guy, John Fogerty, Dion, Ray Davies, Jackson Browne, Billy Joel, B.B. King and Black Eyed Pease.

yeah man....Cully and I went a few years back. It's great! To see 'rosebud' is worth the price of admission. There are a lot of cool things inside....from Phish's '94 Hot Dog....to David Byrne's large suit from SMS....to Jimi Hendrix's childhood drawings of race car's and football players. If you haven't been I'd definately check it out.

To see 'rosebud' is worth the price of admission. There are a lot of cool things inside....from Phish's '94 Hot Dog....to David Byrne's large suit from SMS....to Jimi Hendrix's childhood drawings of race car's and football players.

Whoa seriously that's insane. I guess I knew about Rosebud but not the big suit ("I like words, and by wearing a big suit it makes my head look smaller and people listen to the words"), hot dog and the Jimi sketches. I'm sure alot more insanity.

As far as the show I've read a fair bit about the event and the artist pairings and it sounds like a mammoth event.

There is no way in hell that Rush won't get inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame, that's just dumb. It's just a matter of time. The Rolling Stone editorial board is not stupid. Seriously though more people around the globe know fucking Rush than the Band for christ sake.

There is no way in hell that Rush won't get inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame, that's just dumb. It's just a matter of time. The Rolling Stone editorial board is not stupid. Seriously though more people around the globe know fucking Rush than the Band for christ sake.

Thankfully this board's got an ignore user feature.

Back to the "Lead Box" for you zero.

Fuckin' Knob.

There is no way in hell that Rush won't get inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame' date=' that's just dumb. It's just a matter of time. The Rolling Stone editorial board is not stupid. Seriously though more people around the globe know fucking Rush than the Band for christ sake. [/quote']

Thankfully this board's got an ignore user feature.

Back to the "Lead Box" for you zero.

Fuckin' Knob.

Am I missing something?

Anyway, I PVR'd the show on HBO last night. Now I just need to find 4 hours to watch it!!

I tell you one thing, I downloaded the Rolling Stone's 500 most influential rock songs, for a large part...wrong. I guess that 500 song list has an exhibit or wing of the museum?

Criticism

The main criticism of the Hall of Fame is that the nomination process is controlled by a few individuals who are not musicians, such as founder Jann Wenner, (who has filled the position of Managing editor for the magazine Rolling Stone), former foundation director Suzan Evans, and writer Dave Marsh, reflecting their tastes rather than the views of the rock world as a whole. A former member of the nominations board once commented that "At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist ... I saw how certain pioneering artists of the '50s and early '60s were shunned because there needed to be more name power on the list, resulting in '70s superstars getting in before the people who made it possible for them. Some of those pioneers still aren't in today."[8] According to Fox News, petitions with tens of thousands of signatures were also being ignored, and some groups that were signed with certain labels or companies or were affiliated with various committee members have even been put up for nomination with no discussion at all.[8]

Another criticism is that too many artists are inducted. In fifteen years, 97 different artists have been inducted. A minimum of 50% of the vote is needed to be inducted, although the final percentages are not announced and a certain number of inductees (five in 2009) is set before the ballots are shipped.[9] The committee usually nominates a small number of artists (twelve in 2010) and they are coming from an increasing number of different genres. Several voters, including Joel Selvin, who himself is a former member of the nominating committee, didn't submit their ballots in 2007, with the reason being that they didn't feel any of the candidates were truly worthy.[10]

The Sex Pistols, inducted in 2006, refused to attend the ceremony, calling the museum "a piss stain".[11]

[edit] Controversy

On March 14, two days after the 2007 induction ceremony, Roger Friedman of Fox News published an article claiming that The Dave Clark Five should have been the fifth inductee, as they had more votes than inductee Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. The article went on to say "[Jann Wenner] used a technicality about the day votes were due in. In reality, The Dave Clark Five got six more votes than Grandmaster Flash. But he felt we couldn't go another year without a rap act."[12]

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame would later deny fixing the vote, although they did not deny that late votes were received, saying, "No. There is a format and rules and procedure. There is a specific time when the votes have to be in, and then they are counted. The bands with the top five votes got in."[13]

The Dave Clark Five was subsequently nominated again and then inducted the following year.[14]

Sex_pistols.gif

I'm still going though.

Thanks boiler rat for actually contributing something to the dialogue. You guys are so fucking touchy, make one opposing remark and you get all huffy.

Why the Rock Hall says: No Rush for you!

When the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame holds its annual induction ceremony April 4, there once again won’t be any progressive rock artists amongst its five honorees. The Rock Hall’s snubbing of the once-popular genre hasn’t gone unnoticed by its supporters.

In the past few years, fans of Yes and the Moody Blues have started online petitions to get those groups a nod. Blogs and Web sites question the Hall’s choices, as did Stephen Colbert when he interviewed Rush (who also have a campaign petition).

Decades ago, these groups packed thousands into stadiums and sold tons of vinyl by pushing the boundaries of rock. But evidence suggests their elaborate concept albums, impeccable musicianship and oblique lyrics might have pushed things too far for the Hall’s tastemakers.

It's noteworthy that while Cameron Crowe may not be on the committee he produced the 25th Anniversary special. Crowe's history with the magazine is illustrative as it's youngest ever contributor he based Almost Famous on progressive rock bands like Yes, the Allman Brothers and King Crimson that he had occasion to cover as the older writers turn up their nose at them. I'm sure the Cameron Crowe's of the world, not to mention the Stephen Colbert's would advocate for Rush. The band also has some pop cultural currency of late with regard to a handful of appearances in films etc.

As for the special itself the 25th Special had serious high points, Bruce Springsteen and E Street with Fogerty and especially Billy Joel. The Boss seemed genuinely chuffed trading verses on New York State of Mind and Born To Run with Billy. Jeff Beck and his hotass bassist were gerat with Buddy Guy too and the Day In The Life was really touching as well.

edited to add I just realized you were getting all huffy cause I said 'that's just dumb'

Edited by Guest