Jambands.ca

Going Vinyl

Jay Funk Dawg

Happy New Years to you all.

I have recently bought a DJ mixer off Tungsten Gruven and I'm now happily DJying at home - on two Techinic 1200s. I've dusted off my old record collection of mostly classic rock albums. I've got rarities from Jimi Hendrix's Band of Gypsy, Steven Stills solo albums (that also feature Hendrix on them), David Bowie, Elivis Colstello, CCR, Derek & The Dominos, Simon & Garfunkel, Talking Heads, The Police, Alice Cooper, Lots of Zepplin and it's been great to hear all the great music again.

I've got some lesser known stuff by Booker T & The MGs, Robin Trower, Gill Scott Herron, Weather Report, Ahmad Jamal, War, Santata and a great copy of the Dead's Anthem of the Sun.

There's something about handling the vinyl and the needle to the record that really enhancing the music enjoyment experience. There's a warm to the music from that era and hearing it on CD doesn't have the same je-ne-sais-quoi!

In that spirit, I've been drawn lately to the 45 inch singles, specifically reggae and funk 45s. I'm on a quest to build a strong collection. It's inspiring to talk to the collectors and record stores about the medium. One thing the say about 45s is that the grooves on the record are deeper than the LPs, and because the 45 record is spinning at a higher speed, the quality is much better than what you'd find on the full length.

I'm finding it a lot of fun and once I have a mix to share with you I'll post it here. I'm going to be traveling for the next month, first to France and then to Atlantic Canada & back - planning on spending any off time looking for rare grooves.

Can anyone help suggest some good record stores in Southern Ontario that would be worth Checking out. I'm going to be in Ottawa, Kingston, Fredericton, Saint John, Halifax, Montreal. Anyone have some old vinyl for sale?

big ups to all the skanks in 2010!

Jay

jay@nufunk.ca

Yo, in Ottawa, your best bets are probably

Vertigo Records

- www.vertigorecords.ca

193 Rideau Street, Ottawa - (613) 241-1011

Turning Point The

www.turningpointmusic.ca

411 Cooper Street

Ottawa, ON K2P 0H1

(613) 230-4586

Birdman Sound

www.birdmansound.com

593 Bank Street

Ottawa, ON K1S 3T4

(613) 233-0999

oh and i forgot to mention Legend Records

Legend Records

maps.google.ca

1315 Wellington Street

Ottawa, ON K1Y 3B1

(613) 596-5766

they have a very extensive collection i just find them more on the pricey side. But if their is something you want they probably have it.

for montreal

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/montreal.htm

(The vinyl Tourist review)

Beatnick

3770 Rue Saint-Denis

(514) 842-6944

Métro: Sherbrooke

I go to beatnick everytime i am in montreal. They have a mix of every genre

Inbeat Record Store

- www.inbeatstore.com

3814 St Laurent, Montreal - (514) 499-2063

I think this store will be your dream store if your into mixing

Edited by Guest

Can anyone help suggest some good record stores in Southern Ontario that would be worth Checking out. I'm going to be in Ottawa, Kingston, Fredericton, Saint John, Halifax, Montreal.

None of those places are in Southern Ontario :) I would suggest Cheapies and Dr. Disc in Hamilton, and Encore in Kitchener - among the best record stores I know.