Jambands.ca

Good place to watch hockey near YYZ?

Basher

Hey Sporties,

We have a friend coming in from out of town on Saturday, and his plane arrives right as the puck drops for game 1. He's a huge fan and we agreed to find a place close to the airport to whisk him to to watch the game.

Any suggestions? I'll preemptively rule out the rippers, he'll want to focus on the game.

I can't think of a worse area of town than up by the airport. That being said, head over to the hotels either by the airport or near the park-and-fly lots - I think there's lots of options of the Montanas, Hooters variety.

Edited by Guest

Ah basher, you are in my old stomping grounds. Unfortunately, Etobicoke is crap - there is no downtown to speak of. However, there are quite a few pubs near the airport, and I suggest:

Arizona's Bar and Grill - 215 Carlingview

Nothing too spectacular, but last Time I was there (7 yrs ago) there were numerous gigantic screens set-up throughout the place, and it looks like it hasn't changed. Its your best bet as its super close to the airport. If you want something different, maybe smaller, more low key, let me know - like i said, I grew up around there, I know most places all to well.

Where's downtown Etobicoke? Our hood (Bloor West Village) will be a suitable backup.

There's a strip of goodness near Kipling station - and I know this sounds like an oxymoron when describing Etobicoke.

Where's that? The only thing near Kipling station is Dundas St which is filled with fast food restaraunts. No bars or anything, except for a really ghetto donut shop.

As a follow-up, we settled in on the Wild Goose Bar and Grill. It had a bazillion TVs, a giant screen with the game, and TVs showing the NBA game too. Lots of decent beer and an extensive menu. We didn't really eat, so except for the pedestrian mozzarella sticks, I can't comment on the food.

Of course, disaster struck in the third period, when karaoke night took over the main stage and PA system. Shudder. It was trainwreck into carwreck bad. We moved up to the bar to watch the end of the game, but it wasn't the same.