Jambands.ca

Kingston hotel recommendations?

bradm

I'm going to try and get to Kingston this Friday for Mr. Something Something at The Mansion, and will need a hotel room for the night. It's been years since I was there, and I have no idea what the hotel situation is like there. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'll be getting there mid-afternoon, and will probably want to have a nice dinner downtown (at The Pilot House, or The Kingston Brewing Company), so somewhere around there would be nice. (The Four Points Sheraton looks nice, but it's $190/night, which is a little steeper than I'm used to.)

Aloha,

Brad

The Ambassador is more than acceptable, not sure on their rates though:

http://www.ambassadorhotel.com/accommodations.html

Yes, but the hotel is located quite a ways from the downtown (just outside the village of Cataraqui); certainly not within staggering distance after a night out and the city bus schedule cannot be trusted and they don't run that late on certain routes. A cab to downtown will run ya around $10-13 one-way.

Yes, but the hotel is located quite a ways from the downtown (just outside the village of Cataraqui); certainly not within staggering distance after a night out and the city bus schedule cannot be trusted and they don't run that late on certain routes. A cab to downtown will run ya around $10-13 one-way.

Village of Cataraqui? Man, that's old school ...

There's a new Howard Johnson on Princess about a 10 minute walk from the Mansion - $100 a night.

http://www.hojo.com/HowardJohnson/control/Booking/check_avail?entry_source=&checkInDate=06%2F04&checkOutDate=06%2F05&numberRooms=1&numberAdults=1&numberBigChildren=0&numberChildren=0&useWRPoints=false&rate=000&__rate=SRB&promotionCode=&corporateCode=&cid=&affilid=&partnerid=&iataNumber=&id=36406&propBrandId=HJ&tab=tab2&resetCheckAvailMod=true

Not sure of the quality though ... it used to be a seedy Super 8

I'd steer clear of the Confederation Place hotel - stayed there a few years ago, was dirty, stuff didn't work, stains everywhere, noisy.... Yeah.

It's closed at the moment due to a parking garage collapse, if you can believe it. Sadly, The Lone Star, being adjacent, is also closed.

Just be aware you can get stuck out by the 401 using Priceline

I just checked priceline and there are only 2 hotels in Kingston that are 3 stars or higher:

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront

Four Points By Sheraton Hotel And Suites Kingston

So I think as long as Brad bids on a 3 or higher he should be safe. No guarantees of course but that's my thinking.

You can also leverage that into making 2 bids in a 24 hour period... a low ball offer on a 4 star, followed by another bid on a 3 star if necessary.