Jambands.ca

great free iphone app for guitar

SaggyBalls

If you get the app for it you'll lose the ear for it.

You heard it here first.

troo dat. then again' date=' who needs ears when you have an app?[/quote']

Who needs to play guitar when we have CD's and mp3's?

Who needs to learn guitar, bass or drums when we have rock band?

Which is to say that there has never been an era where it is easier to learn the guitar, but in this era we are given so many tools that many of the necessary elements of playing guitar are made to seem pretty much unnecessary (constant tuning practice, the ability to learn songs by ear). Also, with an increasingly distracted population (Blackberrys, Rock Band) that is becoming increasingly impatient (iphone, wiki) and undergoing a diminished attention span (is anyone still with me?), it's a wonder anyone is getting anywhere anymore. Sure, someone will post a video of some nine-year-old playing the Simpsons theme or something, but I can tell you as a curmudgeonly geezer that has practiced the shit out of the guitar and taught it professionally for over fifteen years, this is not the way most people are going.

To play guitar well all you need is a guitar. The vast majority of the tools that are marketed to help the guitar player along their path actually hinder.

I promise.

To play guitar well all you need is a guitar. The vast majority of the tools that are marketed to help the guitar player along their path actually hinder.

Your head must have really exploded when they invented the tuning fork! ;)

I get where you're coming from but I think that in the main you're being a *little* short-sighted. I think that anything that encourages someone to pick up an instrument, learn more about music, etc. is a good thing.

Or look at the bright side, your guitar skills are just becoming more highly specialized.

If staying in key is what you desire, you're better off using a tuning fork or set of pitch pipes. That way you are still teaching/relying on your ear to notice the difference or similarities in pitch.

tangent side story: Bill Monroe NEVER used an electric tuner. He would tune his mandolin to his own voice everyday... that way, on days where his voice could hit a fractionally higher top note, the whole band tuned up accordingly. Thats the way the father of bluegrass did it... but to each their own.

I didn't get the app for 3 reasons:

1. when I tried my connection cut out

2. I don't have an iphone/ipod, and, 3. when I COULD download it it wasn't free anymore.

I tend to tune instruments sharp as of late...though in tune to themselves. There's something about a tighter instrument that tricks me into sounding 'right'.

I guess that's why I like higher action on my basses and fat strings on bass/guitar.

Maybe that's also why I like John Pearse 'New Standard Tuning' strings even on 'old' standard tuning - when my guitar's tuned properly it sounds louder or more even overall, where my sharp-tuned guitar would sound a bit louder on the bluegrass gauge strings I'd get otherwise.

Picked up a set of Martin FlexCore strings today.

I hope I've found a set of strings to break me out of my predictibility.

Edited by Guest

Well put Velvet.

That being said, I'm sure a good number of people use it to check if they are in tune, not rely on it to keep them in tune...

Just got notification it was downloaded over 50,000 times in 2 days making it 5th most popular free app...crazy.

I've never seen anything that could manage all strings at once. I didn't download this, but I should have while it was free.

Sometimes you just need a tuner....especially for a reference point when everyone else claims their IN TUNE, but they're way off. Sometimes you just have to prove your ear with an electronic ear.

So the polytune will manage all strings, but when you're tuning your guitar and pushing your neck forward it can lead to inaccurate tuning, so if you use this app or have the pedal and want 'better' tuning just use the individual mode. The 'poly' mode would be fantastic for restringing a guitar though.

TC supposedly found that players are often up to 6 cents off when tuning everything at once.

Edited by Guest

So the polytune will manage all strings, but when you're tuning your guitar and pushing your neck forward it can lead to inaccurate tuning, so if you use this app or have the pedal and want 'better' tuning just use the individual mode. The 'poly' mode would be fantastic for restringing a guitar though.

TC supposedly found that players are often up to 6 cents off when tuning everything at once.

My pedal automatically switches back and forth depending on if you're strumming all of the strings or just hitting one. If I'm actually tuning I use the individual mode. The all 6 mode is cool to quickly/silently check all of your strings between songs etc.