Jambands.ca

Skateboarding through nature.

StoneMtn

I just skateboarded right past a bear on my way to my office.

this is the first time I have ever seen all of those words together in that arrangement. congratulations on having the coolest commute of anyone i know.

ps wear a helmet. bears like crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.

by the way, our dog freaks at skateboarders. its the only thing she gets all nuts about, although she has never seen a bear as far as we know. now, a bear on a skateboard, that would be a sight.

where do you live that you ride past bears in the morning, Stone? that would be super cool.

phishtaper: If you want to come vacation, you know how to reach me

Evil Goodluck: The Whistler bears are really used to people and vice versa (to a degree, and not to say that's a good thing). At certain points of the year, last time I lived here, I used to see bears daily. It's amazing what you get used to.

Now, that said, these are black bears. If I ever saw a grizzly, I think my heart would be racing.

Now, that said, these are black bears. If I ever saw a grizzly, I think my heart would be racing.

While backpacking in the Yukon my ex and I rented some mountain bikes and were riding around the Takhini hot springs area for a few hours before hitting the springs. While taking a break at a vista point over the Takhini River we saw two grizzlys walking the path we were riding. They were massive, probably the biggest we saw during our 3 week trek.

Needless to say even though we had been cautioned they were around it really took us by surprise and set our hearts racing. I'd wager that was the fastest either of us have ever ridden before, and I know it'll be the fastest I will ever. loljb.gif

When I moved to Nelson my mom gave me a book called 'Bear attacks-their causes and avoidance'.She thought it would help with my fears but it had an opposite effect and unfortunately spread my fears to many folks.

If you'r interested in reading some incredible stories of attacks and incredible stories of survival..(dude crawls through brush to safety for miles with face hanging off by the chin)..read this book. If you're easily frightened by large teethe and claws I'd avoid it.

Grrrrrrr...love the beasts...have no desire to see them.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous.

I was just at lunch. I was typing a text on my Blackberry, while I walked across a road. Suddenly, someone started honking at me like crazy, yelling "Hey! Hey!"

Thinking I should get off the road, I started walking faster (still texting - because I'm a moron).

"Hey! Hey! HEY!!!!"

I looked up just in time to see that I was about 8 feet away from walking right into a bear. (I changed course.)

Geez!