Jambands.ca

Bill Murray 60 facts at 60

bouche

One time me and my friend went to the Ghetto House Cafe in Kingston, partly owned by Dan Ackroyd (pre-House Of Blues) to see a special night of music: Bloom (great K-town band) was playing with the rhythm section from the Hip backing Dan and his dad who were doing the Blues Bros. thing.

Me and my buddy had the front booth and were digging the show when two big burly dudes told us we had to move. "No way," we told 'em, "We got here early and this is our booth." They got more insistent as did we, so management came, apologised, and asked us to give up our table. We did, by standing up next to it (the bar was getting packed).

Then the two burly dudes excort in Bill Murray, who takes our booth by himself. Me and buddy shrug and keep dancing. Every once in a while I would turn around and there was Bill, standing on his chair dancing like a wildman and making me laugh my head off just looking at him. He got up and joined the band, butchering Money (That's What I Want) and (I think) King Bee.

'Twas a great night. Bill is a genuinely funny, funny dude. Only $10 cover and that came with a free beer glass and three drink tickets.

I tried to get into that show (assuming that this only happened once). we were driving back to toronto after a weekend of white water rafting and had heard a rumour about (some of) the Hip backing the Blues Brothers, so made the detour to K-town. We were too late to get in as it was already sold out. I saw Dan and Bill walk in and shouted out to Bill. He smiled and waved back.

I tried to get into that show (assuming that this only happened once). we were driving back to toronto after a weekend of white water rafting and had heard a rumour about (some of) the Hip backing the Blues Brothers, so made the detour to K-town. We were too late to get in as it was already sold out. I saw Dan and Bill walk in and shouted out to Bill. He smiled and waved back.

Me and my buddy were the first ones in the door. Funny how it came about, I was at home in Ottawa and the phone rings.

"Hello," I say.

"Come to Kingston Friday."

"Okay, see you then," and I hung up.

That was the entire conversation. My buddy was so happy that I unquestionably accepted his invitation that he paid for my ticket, and because I had no idea what I was going to K-town for I got there way early, so we went way early.

Hence the front booth.