Jambands.ca

Neil Young - Le Noise

Kanada Kev

I'm glad I didn't listen to it on my laptop at the office first ...

Its funny, b/c if you watch the video at the top of the page, they obviously put a lot of effort into the overall sound of the record, but it almost seems that these days it's rather futile to do something like that, as most people are just gonna download it and give it a listen through their lap-top, never fully hearing what the artists intended them to hear. Weird.

Its funny' date=' b/c if you watch the video at the top of the page, they obviously put a lot of effort into the overall [i']sound of the record, but it almost seems that these days it's rather futile to do something like that, as most people are just gonna download it and give it a listen through their lap-top, never fully hearing what the artists intended them to hear. Weird.

Berry Gordy used to monitor the final mixes of Motown stuff through 1" speakers, the same 1" speakers that were in transistor radios, which were the main source of music for teenagers in the '50's and early 60's.

Maybe the idea now should be to mix down using tiny built-in computer speakers.

Its funny' date=' b/c if you watch the video at the top of the page, they obviously put a lot of effort into the overall [i']sound of the record, but it almost seems that these days it's rather futile to do something like that, as most people are just gonna download it and give it a listen through their lap-top, never fully hearing what the artists intended them to hear. Weird.

Berry Gordy used to monitor the final mixes of Motown stuff through 1" speakers, the same 1" speakers that were in transistor radios, which were the main source of music for teenagers in the '50's and early 60's.

Maybe the idea now should be to mix down using tiny built-in computer speakers.

i was talking to a sound engineer over the weekend who once finished mixing a record, will take it with them and play it on as many different stereo setups as possible before making final tweaks.

Now that I've listened to this I'm reeling. Sonically brilliant and higher energy than any NY studio album to date, Le Noise is nothing short of a triumph. I can imagine Crazy Horse taking on several of these tracks live and tearing the roof off in the process.

I don't find Le Noise has what I consider to be Lanois' 'signature sound' but it's obviously him, so I guess he is growing and morphing as a producer, which I guess is inevitable for someone who treats the knobs so musically. It might seem a bit weird but I initially listened to the production of the album without really 'hearing' the songs - I had to force myself to focus on Neil instead of Daniel (not that the production overshadows the performances, not at all). Kinda like sometimes when a student asks me to lift a song I'll be busy plugging away at the chords and they'll sometimes ask if I like the song. I then have to restart the song and just listen, as I don't hear the song so much when I'm focussing on the notes. They usually get weirded out by that.

Anyway, I am just giddy about this album and I hope it hits some of you as powerfully as it hit me. I can't wait to listen to it in the car on a nice loud highway drive.