Jambands.ca

Netflix Canada launches today

bouche

http://www.netflix.ca

They're offering a 1 month free trial and it's only $7.99 a month for unlimited rentals. Unfortunately, it's a streaming only service but I'm trying to figure out if they have HD content because you can stream on xbox 360 and ps3 but with bandwidth caps you really have to watch your usage.

Anyone set this up yet? You can stream episodes and movies anywhere with a pc, and probably an iPhone when they put out the canadian version of the app.

Also, there seems to be content that is available when browsing but yet UNAVAILABLE. So it may be limited in canada right now. we always get the content shaft.

I imagine a lot will be limited knowing how the CRTC carries on. Still I'm interested in what they will offer. Thankfully, my bandwidth usage doesn't seem to be monitored or restricted with my ISP (local only cable company FTW) so far this month I've downed near 135gb and last month I broke the 150gb mark again.. never had as much as a warning in the 8 years with these guys.

Guess I'm going give the trial a go. Thanks for the heads up.

interestingly the Xbox 360, Samsung TVs, and Blu-ray players from VIZIO or Insignia are off the compatible list until later this fall.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/22/netflix-launches-in-canada-streaming-only-service-for-7-99-per/

Here's the press release.

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=368

It looks like it may not be as restricted as we'd think. I'm surprised they got away with launching without a french accessible service.

This may very well be a good thing where we'll see less restrictions with cross-border content.

I've got a 125 gig cap with a 50 mbit pipe. A good chunk of that is used by downloading shows that I cannot get on any of the networks that Videotron offers, or other shows that I never watched and are now unavailable.

It may work out better to just stream the stuff from netflix rather than having to keep a 1:1 ratio on a private torrent site.

Let me know how it goes. I'm curious how this will all work out. So far, no Xbox 360 support...curious since Xbox was the first to support Netflix in the US. PS3 and wii are supported right now, though you have to wait for a disc from netflix to install their channel.

Just set it up and there is an HD section.

Pretty simple set up process, although you do need to provide a credit card number or paypal account to set the trial up - part of the agreement is they will start charging right after your trial ends, so if your not looking to pay for the service just cancel your trial the day it's supposed to expire.

It may work out better to just stream the stuff from netflix rather than having to keep a 1:1 ratio on a private torrent site.

Most of the private torrent sites I'm on my ratio averages is about 6:1 (some sites less, some sites more) so that's not an issue. I just don't have any need to keep TV shows or movies after I watch them so streaming is my choice. As long as it streams clean.

Just set it up and there is an HD section.

Pretty simple set up process, although you do need to provide a credit card number or paypal account to set the trial up - part of the agreement is they will start charging right after your trial ends, so if your not looking to pay for the service just cancel your trial the day it's supposed to expire.

I didn't see a section on HD on first look. I expected to see SD/HD for each movie/tv show when I was on the details screen. Like how xbox or ps3 presents the options.

Their library is sad.

Marley and Me was sad, sure, but there are some upbeat titles in there.

I just watched the first episode of red dwarf over lunch. I had no idea what the back story of that show was. I had only seen a handful of episodes.

It's hilarious. Going to have to watch it all now.

Now THIS is hilarious:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/netflix-apologizes-for-using-actors-to-meet-press-at-canadian-launch/article1718924/

Netflix apologizes for using actors to meet press at Canadian launch

Video-streaming website Netflix Inc. (NFLX-Q156.939.736.61%) closed down a Toronto street Wednesday and attracted dozens of onlookers for a splashy launch to promote its highly anticipated foray into Canada.

Problem is, many of those in the crowd were actors who were paid to be there. Many of the “extras†on hand were interviewed by journalists, who didn't realize they weren't real consumers interested in the product.

As a news conference was kicking off to announce Netflix's service — which uses the Internet to stream unlimited access to thousands of movies and TV shows for $7.99 a month — extras were asked to spill into the street and encouraged to “play types, for example, mothers, film buffs, tech geeks, couch potatoes etc.â€

“Extras are to behave as members of the public, out and about enjoying their day-to-day life, who happen upon a street event for Netflix and stop by to check it out,†reads an information sheet handed out to extras.

“Extras are to look really excited, particularly if asked by media to do any interviews about the prospect of Netflix in Canada.â€

After word of the ruse spread on Twitter, Netflix apologized and said the extras should not have been talking to reporters.

A Netflix spokesman said the handout for extras was required to obtain a film permit for the launch. The instruction sheet refers to Wednesday's event as a “corporate documentary.â€

“I was unaware that script was handed out to extras and that was not supposed to happen,†said Steve Swasey, vice president of corporate communications for Netflix.

“Some people got carried away and it's embarrassing to Netflix.â€

I'm impressed with what I've seen with the service so far. On the PC, streaming was flawless and after I updated the PS3 and installed the Netflix app, it worked seemlessly. Streaming starts right away, in HD, unlike the services offered on Playstation Store and Xbox Live Zune.

I don't know how they do it. Though HD should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't know if any of the HD content even has 5.1 audio but to me, that's important for HD.

I saw alot of interesting documentaries in the list and plenty of TV that I'm interested in for shits and giggles. Greatest American Hero? yeah! There's a Bela Fleck documentary called Throw down your hear and a bunch of others that interest me.

Since there's a 1 month free trial, I can see getting alot out of the month.

Hulu CAN be streamed from Canada. I use it all the time. Just install Hotspot Shield on your PC. It creates a VPN tunnel to a US address. FREE!

Pandora works too...

when's the last time you got that working? hulu can detect hotspot and other proxys. you need to have a real VPN in the US which one probably has to pay for, to get Hulu.

not calling you wrong. i need more details, cause this is the experience that I've had, and many others.

not that I give a shit whether you believe me or not...

i believe you. :)

I spent the day on the couch with Netflix documentaries.

Born into Brothels (About a woman who teaches Indian children of sex workers, the art of photography) 5/5

I Think We're Alone Now (About Tiffany stalkers) 3/5

Age of Stupid (About Climate Change) 3/5

Valentino (About his 45th anniversary party)3/5

um, remind me that i have to wash my hair if you ever invite me over for movie night. ;)

Um I watched 2 episodes of 30 Rock just this afternoon. Worked flawlessly. You want me to email you a screenshot, not that I give a shit whether you believe me or not...

fuckin' video it. screenshots won't convince me. or you can pm me how the fack you're getting hulu working in CANADA with hotspot shield.

Um I watched 2 episodes of 30 Rock just this afternoon. Worked flawlessly. You want me to email you a screenshot' date=' not that I give a shit whether you believe me or not...[/quote']

fuckin' video it. screenshots won't convince me. or you can pm me how the fack you're getting hulu working in CANADA with hotspot shield.

FIGHT!!!!!

not that I give a shit whether you believe me or not...

i believe you. :)

I spent the day on the couch with Netflix documentaries.

Born into Brothels (About a woman who teaches Indian children of sex workers' date=' the art of photography) 5/5

I Think We're Alone Now (About Tiffany stalkers) 3/5

Age of Stupid (About Climate Change) 3/5

Valentino (About his 45th anniversary party)3/5[/quote']

um, remind me that i have to wash my hair if you ever invite me over for movie night. ;)

LOL. I know it's a pretty pathetic lineup (and I forgot to add the Vagina Monologues that I watched half of but turned off!)

That's marriage for you, I can't watch the good stuff that bouche might want to watch with me. I was pretty certain this was a safe list.