Jambands.ca

politics is a sham

Birdy

Do you think someone like Charles Manson can be saved with a "tweak"? Let's talk real world examples. Sounds awfully simplistic to me.

Fair enough; I suppose if there were someone Manson respected enough not to see him/her suffer, that might be a way in, but it was also a sociopath that killed Gandhi, too (and whose affiliate organisation came to power in India nearly twenty years ago, which hasn't turned out so peachy). Still, not a bad idea for a lot of the time, imo.

I'm reminded of the moment in the last Louis CK show where the dentist dopes him up and he has the dream where he talks bin Laden out of being a terrorist. Damn it, YouTube, where's my link!

:)) - Hitler just doesn't have the same sex-appeal as a unicorn, though, and that's frankly where the money is. Plus, what's the worst thing a unicorn has ever done?

Probably not much worse than the worst thing a horse ever did, but with horns sticking out of it, I guess.

Aloha,

Brad

• 3 months later...
I'm reminded of the moment in the last Louis CK show where the dentist dopes him up and he has the dream where he talks bin Laden out of being a terrorist. Damn it, YouTube, where's my link!

Couldn't find an embed

Louis CK goes to the dentist

It's a good bit of comedy. Though I am biased in that I am of the impression that Louis CK is the best contemporary working comedian.

And really, we sit back and for the most part, blindly let it. Instead of realizing that who we are is perfection, what we think is right and what we do today matters nothing to anyone but ourselves. The key to our individual happiness is saying 'fuÇk you world' and once we conquer ourselves, we save mankind. The self is what matters, everything else falls into place when you've got that balance.

But one person saying 'fuck you world' and focusing only on what is good for the self tends to lead into (often inadvertently) walking on someone else. And if that person has a 'fuck you world' attitude as well -- well, then really interesting things happen.

I agree that the way that politics is practiced, here and otherwise, is largely bullshit. But people will always need to find a way to organize their behaviour around each other. Even when everyone is the Best Person in the World , when there get to be so many of you, you have to start coming to arrangements with each other. Hell, take three people and make them roommates, and even they will have to do that. And that's politics.

What would be awful is if they didn't do that. Didn't learn about each other, find common ground, come to mutual consensus, make decisions together on those matters that it affects each of them just as seriously, but often in different ways. Learn and grow. Show compassion and empathy. Reflect on their own behaviour and how that exists vis-a-vis others who's reality may be different, but just as valid. And that's politics.

[edit: wow, didn't realize that this thread was so old. It was still on the main page. Shows how long it has been since I've visited the politics forum, I guess!]

Edited by Guest

You ever notice how many people pick their nose when they're in their cars? I think that's a good metaphor for our political climate, but I can't quite put a fine point on it.

With no promises, I can make a feeble attempt to sharpen it for you (while, conveniently, twisting your words to validate my point .. amazing how that works .. where's my heady religion forum?)

People think that they are making private decisions in private places because they confuse personal with private. The consideration of the actual 'public' of it all doesn't occur during that moment when you've got a serious itch to scratch or nose to pick.

Politics is a minefield of personal decisions.

The car is a personal (though not private!) space that belongs to you. You act in ways that you act in private spaces, in those moments that you forget that you being in your car is actually a shared experience between you and everyone on the road around you.

I think you could pretty well tie that back to the original post. It doesn't mean that picking your nose is bad per se, or even if that it is seen as bad that you ought not do it anyways, and you could certainly make a defense of it if called on to do so - but it is the illusion of individual action being somehow isolate from shared experience that prompts the behaviour, I'd gather.

Or, actually, scratch that. In most cases it is probably 'fuck it, I'll never meet these people anyways' which is probably a much more apt tie to the political climate. I should have lead with that.

With no promises, I can make a feeble attempt to sharpen it for you (while, conveniently, twisting your words to validate my point .. amazing how that works .. where's my heady religion forum?)

Or, actually, scratch that. In most cases it is probably 'fuck it, I'll never meet these people anyways' which is probably a much more apt tie to the political climate. I should have lead with that.

A metaphor for your post. Nothing more.

...not too shabby. (groan)

I had two stupid nonsense posts in a row, and you were correct to call me on them, tongue firmly in cheek. Don't fuck off. There is no 'fuck you' here.

I'd be more flagrant about my apology, except then we step back into the personal vs. private territory. Anyways, that was a shit thing of me to say. I hereby hand this thread back to its rightful owners.