Jambands.ca

Talking Funny - Seinfeld, Louis, Gervais, Rock

Kanada Kev

I really wanted to like his sit com but it sucked.

His stand up is hilarious.

The HBO sitcom....Lucky Louie? I thought that was hilarious.

His latest HBO show wasn't the same type of humour but I really enjoyed that too...but that wasn't the same type of humour.

+1 for enjoying lucky louie

It was way funnier than two and a half men but it was on HBO. Had it been on a network we wouldn't have to hear about Charlie as much - but wouldn't likely have the same awesome Louis CK to laugh at.

If we start using Two and a Half Men as a reference point for comedy, then we're all in big trouble.

• 1 month later...

I just saw this thread now, by chance and co-incidence. FWIW, "Louie" does not get funny until the third episode, but it is hysterically funny when it hits its stride. The last episode isn't anymore worth watching than the first (ie, neither are funny) .. not sure what happened there. But 3 - 12 deserve your time if his humour is your type of thing.

The really cool thing is that it isn't just his stand-up recycled, which Lucky Louie was. It is new material with actual character development.

if i take a look at a piece of dog sh!t in my yard twice, I'm certain that if I go back for a third look it'll still be a piece of dog sh!t.

Yeah, but dog-shit isn't a laborious process of writing and a lot of network-execs to navigate. I'm going to guess that after the show was tanking, the execs said "fine, you know what, just roll with your initial vision before we pull the plug, we've got nothing left to loose". Dogs just shit.

This looks like it will be a f'in riot

Not a riot, now that I am about half-way through, but I really like it. People didn't like Comedian either, but I liked that it was about the grittiness and hard-work of the business.

Seeing Seinfield try to deliver Louis C.K. lines is priceless. He's entirely too wholesome to pull it off!

I don't understand the internal process of comedy as I am just about the most unfunny person in the world - I tend to want shit to be so painful upon their realizations that you want to fix it, and fast. Comedians are really interesting in that they can call attention to things - even awful things - in a way that is pleasurable. Carlin was supremely good at this, but I digress.

Louis CK: sex is such a confusing thing in in my life.

Therapist: Listen, sex is something very simple. The man takes his penis, puts it into the womans vagina, and she dies.

Louis CK: She dies?

Therapist: Oh, I was thinking of something else.

[much later]

Louis CK: I can't .. I just can't get organized. I feel like my whole life .. I'm just overwhelmed by everything that I have to do.

Therapist: Have you ever heard of someone dying, and then you got an erection?

Louis CK: What? No! That's never happened to me.

Therapist: That happened to me.

I do love to see the internal machinations of what happens to make funny happen (my interest in 'machinations' of any sort likely being the very reason that I am the most unfunny person in the world)