Jambands.ca

Courtney Love on Aoxomoxoa

bouche

That's old news, Brotha! ;-)

Her Dad was in "the Family"...

If you've never seen the flick, "The Mayor Of Sunset Strip" you must check it. It's essentially the story of/a doc about Rodney Bingenheimer, with tons of great stories, tidbits, and gues appearances, including an interview with CL (it might have been a Bonus Feature, can't recall). She recounts some weird stories about her Dad, including him giving her LSD at a young age! Sick!....but it explains a few things....

yeah, nothing original about courtney love. completely derivative. LOL. jaimoe, you are wrong. once again.

Wrong once again? I'll take that as a compliment coming from a Phishhead.

And you are a lunatic if you can't recognize Patti's influence. Of course, her husband helped her out a bit too. I'm not a Courtney hater by any stretch. I think the second Hole album is outstanding and Courtney is a fantastic rock front woman (perhaps the best of her generation), but it looks like her relevance is nearing an end, at least commercially.

Courtney is/was great - but is anything completely original? For sure she follows in the 'lineage' of Patti Smith, and for look/'tude/aesthetic, *many* of the punk/post-punk frontwomen like Siouxsie, The Runaways, Nina Hagen, even Poison Ivy... For sure she's derivative on that level.

But.. she did take some things further.. Those gals (with a few exceptions) would never engage in brawls the way she used to on a regular basis at every gig! So she was for real on that level!

I agree that the second Hole album is great! Some outstanding tracks. For that one, there was a writing team, headed by Billy Corgan, and Michael Beinhorn's touch is hardly subtle... That was a *produced* album if there ever was one - the 1st Hole album is more of a genuine 'band' album.

And yes, her commercial relevance is on the wane, for sure. She got booted out of the primo room at NYC's Electric Ladyland Studios (an almost unheard of move in the studio biz) a few years ago to make room for.... Metric (a great band, btw!). The absent Michael Beinhorn was still producing, but on a casual, drop in basis... Not like the "Celebrity Skin" days, that's for sure.... Not sure if that album has even come out yet...

As usual, my Humble $0.02....

LOL, yeah, im just an unworthy phishhead. do you even bother read any of the things i post here? LOL. i guess the difference between us is that i tend to not knock other people's taste by claiming some musical superior knowledge. but please dont let me stop you, haha.

I've read lots of your posts over the years and agree with many. Sure, I'm a music snob, but I like lots of different styles and genres - and respect and even admire bands I hate with an unholy passion such as Genesis, The Cure and Depeche Mode. I've grown tired of most jam bands though, other than The Dead and Allmans. And I hate to admit it, but I think I'm done with The Mule, Phish and Black Crowes.

I love many bands that borrow heavily from their heroes. The Black Keys sound is heavily influenced by Junior Kimbrough and we all can guess who some of Jack White and MMJ's heroes are.

I agree that the second Hole album is great! Some outstanding tracks. For that one, there was a writing team, headed by Billy Corgan, and Michael Beinhorn's touch is hardly subtle... That was a *produced* album if there ever was one - the 1st Hole album is more of a genuine 'band' album.

Which do you consider the second Hole album? It sounds like you are talking about Celebrity Sking which is the third.

Pretty on the Inside

Live Through This

Celebrity Skin

I consider Nobody's Daughter a Courtney Love solo album. I wish she'd released it as such, like she did with America's Sweetheart.

Sorry again about that... Much of previous $0.02 still stand, except make that "the 1st _two_ Hole albums are more genuine 'band' albums".

I do think "Live Through This" has a few great tracks, but "Celebrity Skin" is the stronger album.

And, I gapped again... the Electric Lady 'incident' was during the making of "Nobody's Daughter"...

Peace.