Jambands.ca

Anit-Social Behaviour and Skate Parks: Thoughts?

Hal Johnson

The skate park in the community where I live is in danger of being shut down due to "anti-social behaviour". I know that there are far more kids that use it for it's intended purpose than those who do not. I'm thinking that there's got to be some intervention ideas out there that have worked in other communities, that are cost efficient and keep the riff-raff from ruining it for everyone else. Any ideas?

I saw the other week that here on the escarpment in Hamilton (Rymal Road aka Hwy 53) they put the skate park next to the new police station. n Perhaps not the solution for your community I suppose, but it keeps out the bullshit element sometimes associated with those places. There was a ton of kids there too.

There is a HUGE debate going on about skateparks in Guelph right now. They had one a couple of years ago but it was shut down because of after-hours problems and the fact that it was situated right behind houses.

Where the park is actually located seems to have the greatest impact on people with respect to almost every issue, including anti-social behaviour ... but that's a moot point in your case, Hal, it is where it is.

My understanding is that once a park exists, the only two factors that seem to discourage anti-social behaviour are lighting and regular patrols by police. That said though, if the park is already located near houses, all-nite lighting becomes problematic because neighbours dont want to be lit, so police patrols are essentially the only deterrent. And that ain't exactly cost effective.

also, this website was referenced by a few people ... seems to be the most informative site re: design and impact.

Edited by Guest

My understanding is that once a park exists, the only two factors that seem to discourage anti-social behaviour are lighting and regular patrols by police.

That my just be the problem here then - the Police have effectively said that regular patrols aren't going to happen. Seriously, they said that. And about the lights, they used to have lights, but the councellors viewed them as invitations to frequent the park after hours and cause even more trouble, so they got rid of them.

Also seems that the one's causing the trouble are usually small in numbers but have large, negative personalities (bullies). One community I found on-line noted that

"when a recognised group of people band together, those that isolate [bullies] the others [their victims] have got to take on a group that is interest focused, working collaboratively and cohesively to support the groups aims and objectives. This group could be in the form of a team or a club. "

All sound very after-school-special-y, but I'm thinking it might be a somewhat legit approach. Bring in some actual instructors, for a club, do some comps and what-not.

The skate park in the community where I live is in danger of being shut down due to "anti-social behaviour". I know that there are far more kids that use it for it's intended purpose than those who do not. I'm thinking that there's got to be some intervention ideas out there that have worked in other communities, that are cost efficient and keep the riff-raff from ruining it for everyone else. Any ideas?

lolnewminas

It took them years to build the damn bowl and now they want to get rid of it!? That land was supposed to be a new community center going back to when I was a kid and they only thing the village could decide on in 20 years was that shitty skatepark. So what is this anti-social behavior that's got them all so worked up?

Here's an idea New Minas, instead of covering every square inch of our town in pavement and getting kickbacks for saying yes to every big box store that wants in, how about creating a new park or some other form of green space, or extend the skate park so its not just piece of shit bowl that only one or two people can use at a time while the rest hang out and potentially cause trouble or maybe actually build that community center so kids in town have options for places to go and structured environments to keep them from being dicks.

Guaranteed this has more to do with business owners complaining than any residents considering there are no residents around this particular skatepark. And I'm also guess this isn't an issue at Wolfville's skatepark 15 minutes away right?

The skate park in the community where I live is in danger of being shut down due to "anti-social behaviour". I know that there are far more kids that use it for it's intended purpose than those who do not. I'm thinking that there's got to be some intervention ideas out there that have worked in other communities' date=' that are cost efficient and keep the riff-raff from ruining it for everyone else. Any ideas?[/quote']

lolnewminas

It took them years to build the damn bowl and now they want to get rid of it!? That land was supposed to be a new community center going back to when I was a kid and they only thing the village could decide on in 20 years was that shitty skatepark. So what is this anti-social behavior that's got them all so worked up?

Here's an idea New Minas, instead of covering every square inch of our town in pavement and getting kickbacks for saying yes to every big box store that wants in, how about creating a new park or some other form of green space, or extend the skate park so its not just piece of shit bowl that only one or two people can use at a time while the rest hang out and potentially cause trouble or maybe actually build that community center so kids in town have options for places to go and structured environments to keep them from being dicks.

Guaranteed this has more to do with business owners complaining than any residents considering there are no residents around this particular skatepark. And I'm also guess this isn't an issue at Wolfville's skatepark 15 minutes away right?

lol, Freaker, you hit the nail on the head!! It IS a crappy park, but that's neither here nor there. And you're absolutely right - there's a bunch of land around it that could be used to build a better park, that's for damn sure. All that being said - the kids LOVE it. They're there every day, morning to night. Thing is, the place is up for sale. They are building a new community center. IM thiking that the decision to shut down the park before the civic center sells will mean no new park at the new place though.

haha, all good DB!

They actually did that with the classical music at a strip mall by my old house in Etobicoke and it seemed to have worked quite well. Not sure of the lasting effect, haven't been there in a while.

But ya, Im working for the rec dept in this town and the debate has been ongoing for the past few weeks. Freaker brings up a really good point though, in who exactly is complaining. Seems it could just be city staff who work close to the bowl, because, like he said, there's no one else around. Drug paraphenelia is found on the grounds rather consistently though, and enough of the kids don't wear helmets (liability issues However, the giant warning/rules sign is supposed to protect the civic center from such things...) so whoever doesn't want the bowl to be there has a case.

I am trying to find some examples of other areas where this has happened and how they've coped with it so I can help the little buggers keep skatin!

Well, appears the solution is to hire a security guard. I fail to see how this will "solve" anything.

what are you looking to do then? change the behaviour of the trouble makers? get the complainers to relax?

of course patrolling does not 'solve' any root problem, but short of turning your city into Stepford, what possibly could?

Well,kind of what I said before. Have and actual "pro" come in and teach. Maybe organise some regular competitions. I guess the security guard will stop the 14 yr olds from smoking pot and leaving their zigzag packages lying around, but I also think the guy or girl will have a mental breakdown by th end of the first month. Or, it will make the city council happy to know they guys there, and the kids will stop showing up; which will make them REALLY happy. But, really I have no idea, will have to see how it plays out. I shouldn't jump to any conclusions though, your right.

My thoughts are this.... sounds cliche but you need to get the community involved. First off the skaters need to get together and make it known these activities are not welcome. Take some ownership in the park.

Get there parents involved. Maybe the presence of some adults would help.... A lot of folks simply dump the kids off at the park for the day.

Possibly get some older skaters involved..... maybe they come out skating during problem times.

Any local shops? Get them involved, hold some contests..,giveaways.

Not sure on cost, but bring a pro in... maybe a team.

I think building a strong positive skate community will push your riff/raff out.

As per the Security Guard, its probably gonna be the same guy(s) all the time, so its probably best to work with them, as he is there to help your park. Probably a good idea to teach the kids he's actually on their side, so try not to razz him to much.