Jambands.ca

Chicken Soup

jaybone

I roasted a big chicken on Saturday and made stock from the bones last night.

So, tonight I'm making soup. What interesting variations do you enjoy in chicken soup?

I usually add onion, celery, carrots and sometimes throw in peas and corn.

Then there is the whole noodle vs rice debate. I have been adding orzo lately. Looks like rice but eats like noodles.

Does anyone have any suggestions to liven it up a bit?

i made this chicken noodle soup the other day with a thai twist...velvet loved it (must be the PB).

1 garlic clove, finely chopped

2 boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/4 tsp hot chilli powder

1/2 cup creamed coconut

4 cups hot chicken stock

2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice

2 Tbsp crunchy peanut butter

1 cup thin egg noodles, broken into small pieces

1 or 2 spring onions, chopped

handful of fresh coriander, chopped

s+p

dried coconut and chopped fresh chilli or hot chilli flakes to garnish

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in pan and fry garlic for 1 min. Add chicken and spices, stir fry for 3-4 min. Crumble the creamed coconut into the chicken stock and stir, then add to the pan with lemon, pb and noodles. Cover and simmer 15 min. Add spring onions, coriander, s+p and cook gently 5 min. Meanwhile heat the dried coconut and chilli in a pan until toasted and fragrant. serve the soup sprinkled with the coconut and chilli.

Edited by Guest

i like a latino style chicken soup. i put some rice, lime, cilantro, and big hunk of avocado in there. something to spice it up too. i had a soup like that in guatemala called xochotli or something like that and it was kickass!

oh and green onions and a corn tortilla on the side is good too!

Edited by Guest

FYI- I made the soup just like my Mom used to, only I add more salt and pepper.

I also threw in the heel of a hunk of parm as it finished cooking. The cheese adds some pretty cool flavour.

The other key is dried savory from NFLD. If you can't get the Newfie savory, don't bother. It adds a certain something to soup, stuffings etc that I just love.

I made a pot of chicken noodle soup this evening for our ailing household. In addition to the standard carrots, celery and onions I added leeks and thinly sliced mushrooms. Used tubetti pasta as noodles. Rubbed the chicken with a homemade (stolen from Emeril) cajun seasoning mix before cooking. I think it was a success.