Jambands.ca

SECRETS: IPOD

bouche

I've got one Bouche...yikes!

But if he bought it 18 months ago he would have a 2nd generation iPod...I've got my fingers crossed that they've fixed the problem for the 3rd gen...they likey have as this whole marketing push followed the release of the 3rd gen...However, my biggest complaint about it is in fact the battery which is advertised as having 8-10 hours of life after a full charge and I can only squeak 6-8 hours out of it. Nonetheless the damn thing hasn't left my side since I got it and I could easily make back the cost by selling all my CDs which I have no use for anymore...

No, I don't have one, but I always thought I'd like one if I had shitloads of money to piss away.

Looks like Apple is dealing with it this way with the IPod Battery Replacement Program.

If your iPod fails to hold a charge and it's more than a year old, you may need a new battery. Click Continue to order iPod battery service for $99 USD. This program is not available in Europe at this time.

That is a pretty ridiculous thing to have to replace. This site among others sell replacement batteries with instructions on how to DIY.

iPods work with windows now too...iTunes is available for windows as well and I think it is the most kick-ass music player I've had. Highly recommended.

2nd Tube - in order to put the tunes on the pod you have to host them on your harddrive. Right now I've got the best of my CD collection converted to AAC files on my computer's harddrive and plan on burning those to CD sometime in the future. I have also raided a number of my friends CD collections...I've also been buying CDs, ripping them and then trading them in for more CDs...I'm drowning in music right now and the whole collection is smaller than a pack of smokes...losing the data is not a concern.

I'm so impressed with the iPod and iTunes that my next computer will certainly be a Mac.

I haven't tried any others but, the perfect compatibilty with iTunes is a huge plus. None of the other mp3 players have comparable software. Also, the AAC (mp4)files that iTunes convert to are smaller and sound better than mp3s and I'm not sure, but I think the iPod is the only player that can play them.

The look and interface of the iPod is super simple and super attractive too.

I noticed two ads for players I hadn't heard of in the last Rolling Stone. They seem to be comprable in harddrive size (20G - 40G range, it wouldn't be worth it to buy anything less) but not in physical size (looks like they're as big as a walkman.) One of them is geared at Napster's relaunch (which doesn't compare to Apple's music store, another huge plus when its released in Canada.) They're probably cheaper too. iPods will go down in price after xmas for sure.

There are plenty of accessories for the iPod too... if you're into that kind of thing...

I'm worried about the battery now though [Frown]

I'm at my brother's place right now trying to convince him to switch to iTunes. I just found this bit which just may help my cause:

quote:

The Washington Post's recent review of online music services (iTunes, MusicMatch, Naptster) concludes: "Last, but most important, Apple simply provides a better music program, whose sole (but not surprising) shortfall is its lack of Windows Media compatibility. In iTunes, Apple has accomplished what has eluded the entire PC market -- it's shipped a free, elegant, easy-to-use program that copies CDs in either AAC or MP3 format, offers numerous, thoughtful ways to organize a music library, lets you buy music conveniently, plays back Web radio and burns CDs and even DVDs -- and does it all without turning your desktop into a billboard for other products and services."

Elegant - that's the word I've been looking for! The iPod and iTunes are totally elegant [big Grin]

Archived