Jambands.ca

The Raptors just traded...

Jaimoe

JYD, Antonio Davis and Chris Jefferies to the Bulls for...

Jalen Rose, Donyell Marshall and Lonny Baxter.

I like this deal. They needed another scorer to off-set Vince. Rose will be that scorer, plus he's a good point-guard. Antonio Davis had become a malcontent, under-achieving whiner. I like JYD but he was over-paid. His personality earned him his large contract.

Here's the story:

THE CANADIAN PRESS

The Toronto Raptors and Chicago Bulls completed their long-awaited deal Saturday, but it won't be made official until Monday, a source has told The Canadian Press.

The Raptors have sent power forward Antonio Davis, forward Jerome Williams and little-used forward Chris Jefferies to Chicago for star forward Jalen Rose, forward Donyell Marshall and forward Lonny Baxter.

The source said the deal won't be finalized until the league's head office in New York re-opens Monday following the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday.

Davis and Williams were left out of the lineup for Toronto's game in Miami on Saturday night.

Reports of a blockbuster trade reached a fever pitch last Friday when numerous sources reported the Raptors were on the verge of a deal with the Bulls that would involve Rose, Davis and others.

Chicago had long been rumoured to have been shopping Rose, a small forward in his 10th NBA season. Rose, averaging 13.3 points a game, will bring much-needed offence to the Raptors.

Davis, in his 11th season, had said that he would not mind being traded from Toronto. He is averaging just 8.6 points for the offensively inept Raptors, who are among the lowest-scoring teams in the NBA.

For Davis, Chicago is the perfect place to be traded to. His family already lives there after Davis sold his Toronto home last summer. And he nearly signed there three years ago.

Williams, a fan favourite in Toronto nicknamed the Junk Yard Dog, was hoping not to be traded.

"I live for the city of Toronto," Williams said last weekend. He had been very active in the community.

Jefferies, a first-round draft pick of the Los Angeles Lakers in 2002, has appeared in only two games with the Raptors this season.

The 6-9 Marshall averaged 8.7 points per game and 6.2 rebounds in 16 games this season while the 6-8 Baxter averaged 4.3 points per game and 2.5 rebounds in 14 appearances.

quote:

Originally posted by Chewie:

ok...can the raptors PLEASE score more than 69 points in a fucking game!
!!!
!
[Mad]

and vince is a bitch...the guy has a glass jaw.
[Mad]

he's the nba's eric lindros

I agree that Vince is fragile, however I don't consider Lindros to be. He has taken some huge hits in his career, hits that would give anyone a concussion. Eric has never been knocked-out in a fight and he's fought a lot of the heavyweights: Chris Simon and Brashear to name a few. One thing Eric doesn't do is to keep his head up when he crosses the blue-line or when he charges into the corners.

Raptors deal - sure helps scoring, but they just lost their two best rebounders. Sounds like there will be another trade - with Mo Pete playing well lately he has a little more value to trade for a rebounder / inside player.

Vince compared to Lindros - I am not too sure about that one. Vince (aka Wince) can be real baby, but he also takes the team on his shoulders and flat out wins games on his own (see Atlanta last week). I don't think you can say the same for Lindros.

quote:

Originally posted by Chewie:

ok...can the raptors PLEASE score more than 69 points in a fucking game!
!!!
!
[Mad]

and vince is a bitch...the guy has a glass jaw.
[Mad]

he's the nba's eric lindros

I watched part of last nights game (during commercials in the leafs game) and I see it as a real turning point. I think after the season is over you'll be able to look at that game to pinpoint when vince went back to being the wimp he was last year...

Whats he get, 16 million a year. Think of the stud defenceman my leafs could have got...

Man, I can't believe someone stole my "Wince" nickname, but I'll get over it.

I think it's a great trade...Antonio Davis wasn't happy in Toronto, plus he's getting old and probably only has a couple of productive seasons left in him. The Raps will miss his rebounding...

JYD is a loss from an energy and rebounding perspective, but the Raps were in desperate need of offense...

Chris Jeffries never showed anything when he had a chance to play. Who knows if he'll develop into anything.

In return, Jalen Rose is a proven scorer and veteran player. I hope he gets to play some point guard, because Alvin "Boogie" Williams has no boogie in his game these days and has been struggling with chronic injuries the last two or three seasons, and Milt Palacio can't throw it in the ocean...

Donyell Marshall can score and rebound, though he's not as good a rebounder as either AD or JYD. Jerome Moiso should get some more playing time.

And finally, Lonny Baxter is, as Leo Rautins said, the "x-factor" in the deal. He's young, burly, and can score around the rim. He's got some good upside I think.

I think Mo Pete and Alvin (and/or Palacio) need to be traded for another big man, or another point guard...

quote:

Originally posted by bsherman:

Gotta say, I liked this trade immediately. Good job Glen!

However, Glen's " other " past deals may eventually cost him his job. I like Glen ( who is a ringer for new Toronto mayor David Miller by-the-way ), but he's made some bad moves in the recent past.

Let's hope this trade saves his job.

These three don't count anymore: Antonio Davis's long-term deal, JYD's re-signing to a huge contract and drafing Chris Jefferies.

Here's some of the reasons why Glen is still taking heat in Toronto:

Signing Hakeem to a long-term deal

Signing Yogi Stewart to a long-term deal

Drafting Michael Bradley ( Zack Randolph, Jamaal Tinsley and Tony Parker were all taken after him in Round 1 of 2001 )

Hiring Lenny Wilkins and signing him to a long-term deal

Other than Bradley, these other deals have all but killed the Raptors' salary cap room.

I'm just saying Glen's being watched.

I don't want him to get fired, but he dug his own hole to some extent. He's a good guy and a Canadian citizen, but he needs to get results from this latest trade or he'll be looking for work in the new year.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Here's some of the reasons why Glen is still taking heat in Toronto:

Signing Hakeem to a long-term deal

Hiring Lenny Wilkins and signing him to a long-term deal

ok...i fully agree w/ you on the whole hakeem thing...that was a stupid move but c'mon...lenny wilkins? don't tell me you weren't thrilled to have a hall of fame coach and player with the clipboard? i know things didn't work out but that was a killer move at the time.

Yes Chewie, I was pleased with the Wilkins signing, but not with the length and the salary: 5 years at a million annually. That's too long and if you get fired ( like he was ), you are stuck with his contract ( for 3 more years ). That hurts the cap HUGE.

Hey, what about Bradley and Yogi Stewart? Thoughts?

Stewart is not a player. Bradley should not have been drafted in the first round. Jefferies was a gamble because of his bad knee. However, O'Neill is a great choice as coach. They needed defense and they are definitely better in that area, and now their shooting is getting better because of the trade.

I love the Raps so I hope this trade pays off. They won't be able to get a centre because there aren't any to be had. Name 3 good centres in the East? I can't. I don't think the Raps need a centre to win the East anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by larry jr.:

IMO, Glenn's worst move was not trading Crazy McGrady when it was clear to anyone who was not a delusional crack addict that there was no way in hell he was coming back to TO. Relying on Vince's mom to try and convince him to stay was not a good plan. They could have gotten a lot of talent in return, and instead got zero.

good call on that one lawrence! i can't believe i forgot about that...maybe i've tried to push it out of my pysche cuz i'm so filled with murderous rage over t-mac.

couldn't he see the raps were a heart-beat away from everything the players, management and the fans desired? i mean, hell we were a bucket away from the eastern final

Archived