Jambands.ca

phish vs. bonnaroo

NewRider

That is kinda the same dilema I had last year. I decided in the end not to go because of cost and the band conflicts.

What I really don't like about going all the way down there is that you have to make these decisions on wether you want to see something like String Cheese or Karl Denson. I can't make a decision like that, I love seeing them both so I'd rather wait until they come close and catch a full show with way less people there.

I think it would be a really fun time, but I can't spend the money to go down there knowing over half the acts will come close in the next 5 months and I could see a full show then.

I have NO IDEA how anyone could ever contemplate seeing phish 3 days in a row, or two days in a row at one of their festivals over seeing that whole lineup at Bonnaroo???

I mean, don't get me wrong, phish is fun, and they throw a good weekend bash, but come on. 30-40 bands, music from what was it last year, saturday from noon until 8am!!!! And I mean, we've seen that phish can do this down at big cyprus, but you never fill up the 10 disc car changer with just one band, you mix it up a little!!!

Bonnaroo all the way baby..

Persoanlly, I love Phish. They were/are a life changing band for me and I am beyond excited to see them again.

but.

Bonnaroo has too many bands and too many memories. Gotta go w/the 'roo and work throughout the Phish tour to do that-

where there is a will, a hungry stomach and my super heady grilled cheese, there's a way!

Don't skip this festival for phish. If money is an issue, I can say from last year that this festival is worth every penny and more. The ticket is the biggest cost and it is more than reasonable considering a dead or phish ticket is $70-80CAN per show.

Bonnaroo accomodation is free, you can bring all your own food, as well as beer etc. The only place you can't bring your own alcohol is into the main two stages but so many of the other great acts play the tents that this is not a problem.

I think the five day trip last year cost me well under 400 canadian, probably closer to 300.

I don't whether this has been stated already but I'm pretty sure we won't have to make this choice as Phish tour will no doubt be in July and August. Bonnaroo, this year as last, appears to fall right when I'm wrapping up my school year. Boo-urns.

2003 Bonnaroo Confirmed Artists:

The Dead

Widespread Panic

James Brown

The Allman Brothers Band

Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals

Jack Johnson

moe.

Galactic

The Roots

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones

Medeski Martin & Wood

Sonic Youth

Yonder Mountain String Band

Robert Randolph & the Family Band

Nickel Creek

G. Love and Special Sauce

Tortoise

Sound Tribe Sector 9

O.A.R.

North Mississippi Allstars

Warren Haynes

Keller Williams

Garage A Trois

Mix Master Mike

Kid Koala

Z-Trip

Particle

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra

Smokey and Miho

The New Deal

RJD2

The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players

Again, boo-urns. I suck. Have fun.

As for the financial side of Bonnaroo.. I'd say last year cost me 750 ish...

But the one thing I will say is bring an RV with AC. I know a lot of people were okay without this last year, but not me... I spend the monday morning puking my brains out because of heat stroke (yeah, heat stroke, thats what did it, honest). But really TN is HOT and AC is necessary to sleep during the day... it was rough...

I talked to some Torontonian's downthere last year that said with gas and rental and km's the rented an RV for $2000. slept 8 I think?

We had an old school RV that had to be plugged in for AC (no generator) and so we plugged into newer RV's but kept blowing fuses....

Anyways...

ps. does needing AC to camp/party with no shade make me a yuppie? hope not...

When I was down there last year, I had a friend call me up to tell me that it was 46C in Manchester, TN. Now let me tell you, I am a sun worshipper: Though and through. But, 46C is so unbelievably hot that it made almost everything impossible. I was there with one of my best friends and her and I are HEAVY drinkers yet, it was too hot to drink. I've never known that kind of heat. I'm not sure what I'll do this year: I want to drive my VW down there again but I remember being so jealous of those people with A/C.

The wife and I just confirmed the 'Unconfirmed'

Bonnaroo Or Beyond Tour

Phish - Limestone Maine Aug 16-17 (unconfirmed)

Evolve - where-ever Aug 22-24 (hopefully rules fall into play)

MoeDown - Turin, NewYorkski's Aug 29-31 (hopefully rules fall into play)

The deal is, if she has the same job, she quits it............that is going to be our 2nd honeymoon with more moons to come.

Happy fuckin Valentines Day!

[Razz]

Ummm... I don't think it would be that tough a choice for me. If Phish played a 2 or 3 day festival like The Lemon Wheel in Maine I would be there in a second. Yes Bonnaroo would be great but stop talking about all the bands that will be there. Do you actually think you will see every band. Its annoying when there is 3 stages and you can't decide. As for the heat well its summer time but I will say that OSWEGO '99 was the hottest 3 days of my life that I wish to forget. To me it just seems like too much. Bonnaroo doesn't need 500 bands. I will also say one more thing: Bonnaroo was new last year so there was a limited number of people. This year it will be crazy with twice as many people and twice as many headaches.

3 night run at Deer Creek here I come!

Sorry not trying to be negative, just making my choice.

Archived