Jambands.ca

What has Dave Matthews Band done for you lately?

Jay Funk Dawg

Guest Low Roller

Can't say I've gone out of my way to listen to him at any point in the last few years, but I still have some friends that remain loyal to his touring schedule.

I revisit the back catalogue from time to time and enjoy the nostalgia trip and reminding myself of why I was pretty into them for a while. I stumbled upon a lot of other great artists through them back when I was first expanding my musical horizons, so I'll always be greatful for that. A few fun roads trips to their shows as well during the university years. Last I saw them was Rothbury '08, one of Jeff Coffin's first shows, and I had a great time.

I see that Béla Fleck is sitting in with them at SPAC in July. If the venue wasn't so brutally oversold every time they play I might have tried to make that happen.

I caught them last summer too and it was decent for sure but I am out of touch with much of his content also.  Have to say Some Devil is a fantastic album and when I do dig it out I still thoroughly enjoy it.  But that's 12 years old now!!  Crazy!

I'm surprised he has new material, i know he milked those first few albums with live and acoustic album versions for years.

Yes and no. There was a fair bit of overlap between Recently, Remember Two Things, and Under the Table and Dreaming, but since the last of those was released in 1994 the studio output has been consistent and not overlapping (although having not listened to any of the studio output since Some Devil - which if we're being sticklers is a solo record and not a DMB record - I can't speak to the calibre of any of the more recent releases). There have been plenty of live releases too, but it looks like they are career-spanning and not for the purposes of milking the early releases:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Matthews_Band_discography

• 1 month later...

Caught them again last night and did they ever blow the doors off of last years show for me. I scored a pit ticket at 230 yesterday afternoon and made my way into the city. Tim Reynolds, Tim Ries (Rolling Stones Sax) and the Lovely Ladies added so much to the show. The Ants Marching stole the show for me, but the whole second set was hot.

Dave Matthews Band at Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto, Ontario - 7/21/15

Set I: Little Red Bird*, Rye Whiskey*, Oh+, One Sweet World, Funny The Way It Is, Snow Outside, Satellite, Typical Situation, The Song That Jane Likes

Set II: Minarets, Rooftop^, Stay^, Everyday^, Black and Blue Bird, Jimi Thing^^, You And Me^, Dancing Nancies > Warehouse, Digging a Ditch, Be Yourself^, I Did It^, Grey Street

Enc: Halloween (Tease) > Ants Marching

Notes: *Dave Solo +Dave and Tim ^with the Lovely Ladies ^^with Tim Ries

• 3 weeks later...