Jambands.ca

WEEN, DBT and more at TURF

Velvet

• 2 months later...

I have to say I really enjoyed that Ween set on Saturday. It was my first time seeing them and definitely my first time 'getting' them.

Thanks to all who gave me song titles, smiles and made the trek from Ottawa.

Highlights of the weekend (in order):

1. The Rheostatics who totally made up for the near disaster that was the Massey Hall show back in the spring with a glorious and loose set

2. The Hold Steady for getting the band back together and rocking the West Stage for the second time since the festival's inception. So nice to see Franz on the keys again.

3. The aforementioned Ween set which surprised and delighted

4. Dwayne Gretzky doing The Tragically Hip was spot on and kicked off my weekend in grand fashion

5. Explosions in the Sky for putting on an amazing instrumental set coupled with a great stage and light show

Dishonorable mentions to a few of my favorites:

Drive by Truckers who played too many new or slow songs and just didn't give me the jolt I expect from them

Okkervil River whose new lineup and album are more country-ish and down tempo and who rearranged old favorites (read: slowed the fuck down) much to the chagrin of many in attendance

The Felice Brothers who, while great musically, chose not to play their many 'hits' including Frankie's Gun (seriously?!). They should consult the Jimmy Buffet "Songs You Know by Heart" setlist creation rules

And finally no talk of this festival would be complete without mentioning the steady and spirit breaking (and business dampening) rain all day on Saturday.