Jambands.ca

Atkins Madness (an extension of meat talk)

AdamH

The Atkins diet is getting to be ridiculous these days, and I'm sure others have noticed that the fast food companies are jumping on the bandwagon. The biggest jawdropper is that KFC is promoting their chicken as "recommended for low carb diets" which, at least to me, points out the INSANE DANGERS OF HIGH FAT FOODS. Never mind that you're reducing Carbs to zero then adding back...that is perfectly fine...its the overcompensating with high-fat proteins and no limitations that seems a little nuts. So for the drastic and immediate weight loss you get from Atkins, in exchange you increase your risk of heart disease and cholesterol-related illnesses, and since most of the people I know who are on atkins don't exercise, the danger is exponentially higher.

Have you read the Atkin's method yet?

If you haven't, I'd suggest it. I've only read snippets, but he's got some reasons behind fat and how doesn't clog you up.

I want to get a copy and read the whole thing. It's a very interesting diet, but the catch is, if you adopt it, it's pretty much for life. After you've gone through the various stages, you don't reallly end up eating only meat. Good carbs a slowly reintroduced into your diet, but your primary source of calories is coming from protein.

it is definitely getting out of hand and so many people don't realize that completely cutting carbs from the diet is soooo bad for your body. What that does is raise ketone levels to an unhealthy state. I can't begin to remember how many times i was told the evils of this diet during my first year studying herbology...especially in my nutrition class.

here is a quote from a site i found

Ketoacidosis

Ketoacidosis is the result of not getting enough glucose. When you go on low-carbohydrate, high protein diets it causes a lack of glucose in your body. In order for the citric acid cycle to function properly it requires glucose. Without glucose our bodies think that we are starving and CoA from the citric acid cycle as well as the breakdown of stored fats that produce ketones. The produced ketones lowers the pH level of the bloodstream. Acidic ketones continue to build up as the person unknowingly poisons themselves. If your body becomes to acidic or to basic many enzymes won’t function. In extreme cases of ketoacidosis people can go into a coma state or even die.

Diabetics are more suscceptable to ketoacidosis. People with diabetes lack sufficient insulin, a hormone needed to allow the body to use glucose for energy. When glucose isn't available, body fat is broken down instead. Ketones are the by-products of fat, so when fat is metabolized, ketones build up in the blood and "spill" over into the urine.

Diets which don’t provide enough carbohydrates or glucose, produced from carbohydrates, are very dangerous because the citric acid cycle is held back causing the body to slowly poison itself. When on these diets you must monitor your ketone levels. "

People seem to think there is this quick fix for being fat. There is no quick fix but it is really simple....lots of veggies, fruit, fibre and properly portioned protein...and of course exercise...if ya want to lose weight, ya gotta move.

please people...don't completely cut carbs. It really puts your body out of whack and could seriously harm you.

That state is definately BAD for a prolonged period. But the Atkin's method only places you there for a short period of time...at the very beginning. I don't think that the diet EVER completely cuts out carbs. The first stage takes you down to almost no carbs, but the main goal is to completely knock out all them bad carbs.

Again, gradually adding good healthy, vitamin rich carbs back into the diet is what you're required to do in the following stages until you get to a balanced point for you body.

I couldn't live without peanut butter on whole grain toast though. Maybe for a month...but that would be it.

Bouche I have read how it works. Basically it's zero carbs and you add them back until you stop losing wieght. The trouble with that is it does not distinguish nutritionally useful carbohydrates (such as those in fruit...which is not allowed at the beginning since all fruits have natural sugars). There's also no accounting for vitamins and nutrients in individual fruits and vegetables, so you take people like my Mom who figures she can just take vitamin pills while on Atkins...not a great strategy as the vitamin content is marginally absorbed.

I do find it strange that fruits like apples, oranges and bananas are not considered in the diet at all.

I just got my hands on an electric copy (pdf format) of the book through the magical internet and had a breeze through the appendices and the "Atkin's Kitchen".

He basically tells you to load your fridge with Vegetables and Berries. There is no fruit at all.

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

I do find it strange that fruits like apples, oranges and bananas are not considered in the diet at all.

It's because all of these fruits have very high natural sugar levels. Dropping my carb intake worked for me last winter I dropped 20 pounds. It's damn hard being a low carb veggie.

Archived