U.F.Productions

Friday Jan 30th

King Sunshine

The Gratefully Deadicated Sound System

@ Pepper Jack's

38 King William st.

Hamilton

905-525-6666

Free entry with a non perishable food item or a $5 suggested donation.

King Sunshine, The Gratefully Deadicated Sound System, Pepper Jack's and U.F. Productions brings an evening of great music, for the friends in our community that have suffered the tragic lost of a home.

This will be a great night to come out and support are friends.

--Shane

[ 01-23-2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Booche ]

"Free entree with a non perishable food item or a $5 suggested donation."

Sorry - I just noticed this. We get food????

Seriously, did you mean "entry" or "entree"??? I need to know whether or not to come hungry (hint: try Pepper Jack's chicken tenders; the best I've ever had!)

Here's a little write up about King Sunshine

Acid jazz and funk is nothing new; however, “live electronica,” in the vein of The New Deal and Sound Tribe Sector 9, is a style of music that’s still fresh, and waiting to be explored in a larger, fuller arena-one by, say, a ten-piece band. Enter King Sunshine, the jazz/house collective that is considered Toronto’s premier live house music experience. Currently touring in support of their debut self-titled CD on Soul Motion Recordings, King Sunshine has been bringing underground dance culture to the live club stage. Since early 1998, the band's unique performances have been moving audiences with infectious grooves and seamless live sets throughout Ontario and Quebec.

Boasting a five-piece rhythm section (drums, bass, guitar, keys and percussion/ sequencers/samplers), three-man horn section and soulful vocals (courtesy of soul diva Christie Nelson), the group summons up sounds of 70’s rare groove and disco with a modern twist of electronica. Utilizing triggered electronic percussion and synths, the band's sound is a futuristic vision of electronic music with the intensity of a high energy funk/soul band.

Moving into the uncharted territory of live acoustic house, King Sunshine’s eclectic blend of deep Funk, Soul, Acid Jazz and Latin, driven by a constant four to the floor translates into a fresh new sound. And much like a DJ, there are no breaks between tracks, instead the music takes the listener on a musical journey, a soulful uplifting live dance experience that has helped the group develop a growing and dedicated fanbase across Canada.

Since they broke into T.O’s club scene in the late '90, King Sunshine’s deep style of house thye have opened for legendary house figures such as Dj Sneak, Mark Farina, Ron Trent, Theo Parrish, Frankie Feliciano and Alton Miller, as well as sharing the stage with Kenny Bobien last fall. They include in their performances live acoustic remixes, along with soulful original material. The result is a live journey that embraces all elements of groove music as King Sunshine gives music lovers a possible glimpse into the future of house music.

Who is King Sunshine?: Dave Austin (keyboards), Phil Cada (guitars), Lorne Lampert (percussion), Marc Shapiro (bass), Roger Berman (drums), Christie Nelson (vocals) , Charlie Finlay (sax), Steve Dyte (trumpet), Shiranta Beddage (baritone sax) and Joel Green (trombone)

man what a great show last night

thanks to king sunshine for the sweet sweet grooves, too bad you cats didnt play longer.

thanks rory for some great dead tunes to fill in the gaps

and THANK YOU to everyone who brought food, we collected 3 boxes last night, and thanks to everyone who donated some cash to Fire Fund.

good to see people gathering together to help others [big Grin]

it was good to finally meet some more boardies too,, onthejourney, the pleasure was all mine [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

talked to ken last night...apparently we did very well raising money that night...

congrats to everone who donated...

i believe it,, i was on the door all night clicking,, i think i stopped somewhere around the 130-140 range,, i was clicking any food donations or the 5$ donations,, these 2 girls donated 20$ to you guys, i went to give them change but they said well isnt it a donation? just take the 20.

realllly nice people that night, not like alot of uncle fungay shows where its just a bunch of crack monkeys that shane deals to [Razz]

i hope it helps you guys get back on your feet

Archived