Jambands.ca

Cheap CDRs?

colinw

A while back people had posted links to some very resonably priced Japanese FUJI discs on ebay. I made my way through all 200 of those and I need some more. I am pretty loyal to the Fujis as they never seem to fail for me.

Anyone seen any good deals similar to the last one? I know secondtube and some others bought as well.

Thanks,

Colin

Just so you know, Fuji has recently changed their discs and the new ones are made in Taiwan rather than Japan like the old ones. When I was talking to Tungsten a couple weeks back, sounds like the Japanese Fujis do last longer than most others but the consensus is that the new ones aren't any better than any other cheapo that's out there.

All that being said, if you're looking for a cheap deal, Future shop has spindles of Memorex Black discs on for $24.99 and you get a free 50 pack of sleeves which normally costs $5, so that's a pretty decent deal far as things go. No idea how good they are, but they seem to work OK anyways.

hmm, I had heard Fuji was stopping making discs in Japan but I wasn't sure when.

Anyone got any insight into a similar quality disc to the Japanese Fujis? I have used these for years and burned hundreds and hundreds of them with no problem. I would like to find something similar in quality.

What do you all use for burning discs?

Colin

yep, they switched quite a while ago now.

only remaining stocks left will be japanese made.

if you want, you can order Tayo Yuden (sp) discs wholesale (the company that made the fuji japan discs), but you'll have to do some searching....

and it wont be coming from Canada so you'll have to add shipping and duty (and brokerage fees).

no longer a savings.

i can't find japanese discs anymore, so i just simply stopped using them. been using Generics since Christmas....no problems so far.

no coasters, but i have a feeling the quality issue will show in the longevity of the discs, not the coaster factor.

Steve

Some places do still have some stock of the Japanese ones, so stock up if you find them. Don't usually seem to be on sale though which is the bummer.

Anyhoo, far as what is best to use for quality and longevity, Mitsui(not to be confused with Mitsumi) are supposedly the best of the best. VERY difficult to find, and not cheap by any stretch. You can find them in Toronto at the CCBC, Computer Consumables Buyers Club which is on King street, across the road from the MEC, toward Spadina. They have a decent website, so you can check their prices online.

I just bought a spindle from NCIX.com. There was a promotion on HP discs and I got 50 for 22.98 before tax, plus a 50-cd case. I'm not too sure of the regular price for these discs but it sounded like a good deal.

On one hand you will pay for shipping with NCIX. On the other hand there is no PST as they are in B.C., plus they are very fast and extremely reliable (I ordered all the components for my PC from them a few years ago and they're still in business...wa ha!)

I've been using the Fujifilm coloured discs. The ones that have like five different colours in the spindle and say fujifilmmediasource.com on them. I don't know if they are Japanese made or not but just looking at the recording surface of them they look like better quality than the silver Tiwanese Fuji's.

I have been doing some research and its seems that most people are using Taiyo Yuden discs for longterm archiving and burning. They seem to be a standard for quality. They manufactured the Fuji line in Japan before Fuji got cheap and moved their manufacturing to Tiawan and inferior discs.

Anyway, I found a cool online store in Canada selling Taiyo Yuden discs for a decent price. Usually you can only find these in the US online stores and they charge an assload for shipping and then you pay tax and duty on top of that.

This guy will ship 200of these bad boys anywhere in Canada for about 125 bucks, taxes and shipping included.

I am going to order 200 and see how it goes. Just thought others may be interested. It seems liks a good deal for a quality disc.

Colin

I just got my discs from blankmedia.com. They arrived today, 4 days after I ordered them, well packaged and safe and sound. 200 shiny new Taiyo Yuden blanks which look to be great replacements for the Fuji discs I was using. 200 super high quality blanks delivered for 129 Canadian. It is supporting a Canadian retailer which is cool too.

I would buy from them again in a minute.

www.blankmedia.ca

• 3 weeks later...

well, thanks for the info on this link...

i was able to very quickly purchase 200 blanks from them, total cost, with shipping:

Order ID: 3119

Order Date: Mon Feb 16 21:45:11 2004

Name: CD-R 32X TAIYO YUDEN 74MIN IJP

Quantity: 200

Total: $ 87.00

Shipping: $13

Tax: $15

Grand Total: $115

not too shabby...they come in spindles of 50. four of them. Ordered on Monday, arrived on Wednesday...

Pretty damn fast if you ask me.

Thanks again Colin!!!!

Archived