Jambands.ca

Kinnie Starr - Hamilton - Sunday 8 pm

paisley

with Lilly Frost, Hunter Eves, Mike Clark

The Underground

$8

early show 8 pm

(if you need tickets let me know, I'll have a few left at the Fat Cats Saturday night... Kinnie puts on a great show, as does Hunter Eves (don't know the other two)... should be a great night... something a little different)

Starr began making her presence felt around 1995 with edgy visual arts, graffiti, rhymes, outspoken race and gender politics, decidedly unorthodox performances, stunning good looks and envelope-pushing, beat-slamming recordings. This combination earned her a well-deserved and devoted fan base, a record contract with Mercury/Island/DefJam (1996-1999), and an immediate connection with critics and consumers alike.

Kinnie has found no shortage of accolades. "Hip-hop, aggro-groove," wrote L.A.Weekly at the release Tidy in 1996, while Canada's national paper The Globe and Mail declared her, "raw, funny, and definitely an original." After much courting, she signed to the majors but the cookie cutters of the music business pushed the fiercely unique album Mending to the margins, where it remains. Naturally Kinnie walked, dusted herself off and unleashed Tune-Up her second CD, with the same independent spirit with which she had begun. A juggernaut that Toronto's NOW magazine described as rich with "visceral rhymes, napalm delivery, spoken word montages and eagle-eyed surveillance of the three S's --- sexuality, spirituality and society."

Kinnie Starr

Lily Frost

Hunter Eves

i am *SO* there!!!!

it'll be a virgin listen for all 3 ladies in the lineup, but i've heard only good things about each of them... i am very excited.

plus i was fortunate enough to get to meet hunter eves, and she is a very, very cool girl.

(thanks,paisley! [smile] )

i am totally looking forward to this show. an entire night of sassy frassy ass kickin' lassies... *NICE*!!!

if anyone from k-dub wants to hit this up, i have room in my car.

glad you're coming PalacePrincess, think you'll have a great time [Cool]

ya you should come out for the change of scenery Esau, you can be one of the Hunter Eves dancers with me, we can work on some costumes (now, if we can only get Kung, MarcO and hamilton then we'll be a troupe)

*daytime edit and bump

um, in all my excitement to come to this show, i just realized i have no clue where the underground is. could some nice & wonderful person please help a girl out with directions? i'll be taking 6 south (i'm coming from k-w), then i guess 403 hamilton... should i exit on main street? someplace else? what do i do next? please help!!!!

sweet night of music

Lily Frost is an unbelievable wordsmith/performer

she's playing Guelph sometime later in the week (20th or so) and on Mike Bullard towards the end of the month with the full band

do yourself the favour

all four acts were totally on, great vibe... so much to hear, acknowledge and take in

Hunter was solid and wondrous... a treat

Mike Clark - really cool, fun and melodic...

Lily Frost - see you at the Guelph show - everyone in the room was riveted and moved

Kinnie was sweet and true... suprise was her playing a fair bit of guitar while singing... super sweet spoken word, poems, catchy song and echo rhymes to pre- and live mixed beats

right on PalacePrincess and company, SarahBelle and the rest of a great crowd

[Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

******* KINNIE STARR FUCKING RULES!!! *******

i am in love. if there is a kinnie starr cult anywhere out there, sign me up. the woman can do anything. and she does it all with grace, style & wit. hand her a microphone, she doesn't even need back up -- she'll have your full body in goosebumps with her beautiful, melodic voice, then a split second later you will be going OFF -- the girl can bust some rhymes! (thorgnor, you would love her!) my gosh. add to the fact she is also one of the absolute *COOLEST*, humble, low-key-yet-when-she-walks-in-the-room-you-can't-even-tear-your-eyes-off-her, nice, *REAL*, most talented & amazing people on the face of this whole planet, with soooo many IMPORTANT (and funny!) things to say......... well, just colour me a collasped heap of "oh my god, is this girl real?" on the floor. wow.

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou hunter eves for hooking me up with this show (and to paisley too, for hooking me up with hunter eves!). i am still reeling in amazement at this incredible night of music. i am absolutely frothing with excitement to see each act of the night once again.

hunter eves IS a delight. she more than held her own with the stunning amount of talent on board last night. her solo set was enough to sell me completely, and yet it fully piqued my curiosity as to what her full band sound is like. wow, i was definitely impressed -- i enjoyed her music as much as i enjoyed hanging out with her at the show (which was a lot). when she grabbed me & pulled me to the front of the stage to dance with her to kinnie's set, i thought i was gonna lose it. the closer you get to kinnie, the more amazing she is & i had a blast sharing this with such a great girl as hunter.

lily frost is also an astounding amount of talent -- her voice is so sweet & soothing, i am definitely looking forward to seeing her again. mike clark was also a treat, his voice is incredibly melodic, he also seems like a genuinely nice guy, and as an added & unexpected bonus to the night, all three (mike clark, kinne & lily) helped each other out, sitting in & participating in each other's sets. it really was a great show, kinnie has this astounding ability to bring everyone in the room together & make you all part of the experience.

what an awesome night!!!

Archived