Jambands.ca

AD on the Discovery Channel

AD

that looked like an intense project. I would want plenty of afghani hash her sure. few questions.

who payed for this? or what company hired you?

and why? I understand they need new nfrastructure but how does having a detailed survey help? you have to replace the road anyway, why not just go ahead and do so?

quote:

Originally posted by purple foot:

that looked like an intense project. I would want plenty of afghani hash her sure. few questions.

who payed for this? or what company hired you?

and why? I understand they need new nfrastructure but how does having a detailed survey help? you have to replace the road anyway, why not just go ahead and do so?

First, you wouldn't want plenty of hash, unless you want to keep the Taliban in business, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Who payed for this? Well, USAID (United States Agency for International Development) paid our client (The Louis Berger Group) to rehabilitate the infrastructure of Afghanistan (roads, electricity, irrigation, dams, schools, health clinics, etc...)

Why? Because for Afghanistan to get back on their feet they need the basics.

Why not just rebuild the road? Well, to rebuild something you have to know the following:

1. What's there at the moment. You need to know where you're going and what's there before putting crews out working. Just like a symphony needs sheet music before they sit down to play. You can't replace something without knowing what's there.

2. Materials. With our survey you can plan how much aggregate, asphalt, etc.. you need down to the cubic foot. Our survey is accurate vertically to 5cm, horizontally to 15cm.

3. Safety and Speed. Road conditions are harsh out there; with our data you can view the road out in the middle of the desert from the comfort of your office. Great for safety. No road survey crews means no kidnappings, ambushes, traffic accidents. Also, our survey is very very fast (fastest road survey ever was done by us in Afghanistan). Timelines are very tight over there and we were the only solution, plus our data is more complete than any other type of survey.

Hope this answers your questions. If not, post again and I'll answer again.

Cheers

AD

quote:

Originally posted by paisley:

you going back over?

If we go back (kinda tense right now, there was an ambush on the weekend that killed a pilot friend of mine and seriously wounded another friend), it would be mid to late March.

I hope we go back, but it really depends on the security. Election coming up and Taliban does not want that to be successful.

AD

Thanks for the link AD. I've only read about your job out there, and saw a few pictures, but that piece really put it into perspective.

That's some MAJOR hitech gizmos y'all work with.

How does that bouncing around and wavering action of the laser mount affect things on those roads?

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

How does that bouncing around and wavering action of the laser mount affect things on those roads?

Well, inside the same box as the laser is an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) which tells us the Pitch, Roll, and Yaw (the attitude) of the sensor at 200 Hertz. The IMU is the same instrument that guides guided missles... It's got 6 laser-ring gyros inside it, so it always know exactly what heading it's on, 200 times a second.

So even though the laser mount may be bouncing around like crazy, there is an instrument measuring these 'bounces' and accounting for them when we process the data.

Hope this answers your question.

ad

nerosaturdaynerosaturdaynerosaturdaynerosaturday

Archived