Jambands.ca

Listen In To Hightime Tonight....

secondtube

quote:

What was before One Step Beyond??

Definatly wasn't acoustic...

Kevin Breit. More specifically, DuMaurier Jazz Festival 07/01/01.

He's an amazing guitarist from Toronto.

Track List:

Sugarman 3

Antibalas

Modern Groove Syndicate (bochi balls)

Miracle Orchestra (thriller)

Kevin Breit

Doug Feaver (war)

One Step Beyond

The Slip

Europe '72 Good Lovin > Caution > Who Do U love > Caution > Good Lovin

Victor Wooten Solo (ride sally ride, Dance to the music, play that funky music whiteboy)

Fatties Frontier Town

Sugarman 3

Bears Choice - remastered and reissued.

[big Grin]

the slip track was from the third disc 10.31.98 (thanks del for the selection).

lemme find the setlist....

the OSB was from a Radio Mixer they sent out...No title on the mixer....just One Step Beyond Mixes...

Hope you all enjoyed it...and will have a shout-out to our Western folks next week.

Steve

As far as I know, both One Step Beyond CDs (One Step Beyond and Life Out There) are out of print.

Jamie was the only member of the New Deal to have been a member of One Step Beyond. I have no idea what the current OSB line-up is, or if they are around at all anymore. I could handle it when Jamie left, but once the original guitarist (Andy Scott) left, and they replaced him with that long-haired heavy metal dude, I lost a lot of interest.

Those years are hazy but I believe Jamie Shields is the only member of TND who was part of One Step Beyond. They used to play the Comfort Zone in T-Dot quite regularly, and in this persoon's opinion they were far more engaging musically than the New Deal.

Of course pot was a whole new thing to me then so maybe that explains the happy memories.

used to drive to every One Step Show up to 200 miles away 10 years ago... started up in a restaurant on College St. in Toronto dancing with 20 other freaks who knew a good thing when they heard one and ended up with line-up around the block... the first player who left the band was their sax player... he just decided he'd had enough, not upset, just done... packed it up and moved out east... that was the beginning of the end... the band actually eventually split over philisophical differences regarding corporate sponsorship, as well as Jamie was interested in broadening his horizons

to me Jamie Shields was the center of One Step, certainly composition-wise but also energy-wise... as dancing freaks the sweet spot was always in Jamie's corner so you could be there when he unleashed on the moog... not to belittle Andy Scott or anyone else in the band's playing as all were huge talents

love to see a reunion

Damn, I'm pretty sure it was the One Step Beyond track I was really digging, how do I get a copy???

You should dig up some music that was played out here for next weeks show, I know Burt Neilson has a wicked show from the Night Gallery a couple years back, Themasses just got some crispy sounds from their recent tour and I'm sure there's plenty more availible, just a suggestion, wicked show by the way.

peaceinjam.jamesd.

well,,,,maybe marcO could help me out with this....

Before tNew Deal went tND, they were One Step Beyond. My approximations would be approx. 94-98.

In that time they released at least three cd's...all very good. We have a copy i borrowed off Hamilton, and we've been giving it some airplay.

Anymore info just ask. People love talkign about OSB, especially now that the chance of a reunion is possible...

wow, found it on the first site i checked.

http://idm.metalab.unc.edu/pub/multimedia/jamz/SBDs/osb97-11-27.shnf/

One Step Beyond

11/27/97

Barrymore's Music Hall, Ottawa, ON

Source: SBD>Cass0>DAT>SHN

SBD>Marantz PMD 430 analog deck

Master Analog>DAT: Marantz PMD 430>Sony DTC700 with SBM

Taped and tranferred to dat by Blane

Transfer: DAT>Midiman 24/96>Wav>SHN by Drew

NOTE:

This show was originally recorded on analog tape. I switched tapes after D2t4, and you can hear

that there is a missing bit of music. I have faded the cut so that it isn't to disruptive. Also,

I used a metal (type IV) tape first, then a chrome (type II) tape second. You can hear that there

is more distortion on the tape after the switch. It was my first time taping, and I didn't think

to lower my recording levels to account for the the change in tape type. Sorry! Still, I think

this is still a fairly good listen, and a nice rariety.

Disc 1:

Disc 2.

ENCORE:

quote:

Wednesday, November 26, 1997

One step to accidental career

By BEN RAYNER -- Ottawa Sun

If sound career-management advice is what you're after, stay away from One Step Beyond.

Since loosely coming together as a shape-shifting house act at a Toronto club two years ago,

the funky, instrumental jazz ensemble has stumbled into what can best be described as an

"accidental career." "Originally, we never thought further than the $10 and the pitchers of

beer we'd get every night," says band-leader and keyboardist Jamie Shields. "The band sort of

became everybody who enjoyed it the most and who would show up every Monday. We never set out

to be a band -- we just became one ... "Everything we've tried to plan out doesn't work, so we

don't do it. But it seems to work." To wit: The seven-piece now finds itself a staple on the

national jazz-festival and club circuits, and has long since abandoned comfort and stability

for endless days and nights spent driving to tour dates up and down the continent.

The band shows up here at Barrymore's tomorrow to fete the release of its second CD,

Life Out There, an album recorded last summer during a fittingly hectic week off from touring.

It's a slick, tuneful sampler of One Step Beyond's equally "unplanned," improvisational sound

-- a percussive, Latin-flavored and horn-heavy brew that skirts, but never falls completely into,

the commercially unfashionable realm of jazz. "If we're looking to become major stars, we've

picked the wrong kind of music to play," admits Shields. Still, he adds, the band's relative

success tells him where it shouldn't be pigeonholed. "If we drew eight people and sold one CD a

year, then we'd fit right into the jazz format."

Archived