Jambands.ca

anyone receive this Microsoft warning?

NewRider

To:

CC:

Subject: Use this patch immediately !

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:55:08 +0000 (GMT)

Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!

There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!

More than 500.000 already infected!

patch.exe

Anyone know if this is bullshit or what?

I've recieved emails like that today too, not from Microsoft but other people, including the good folks at Jamaholic.com. [Wink]

The latest round of viruses Bagel J is quite brilliant I think. When I saw the email I was like huh? What's this?

----

Dear user of e-mail server "Jamaholic.com",

Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized access.

For more information see the attached file.

In order to read the attach you have to use the following password: 40435.

Sincerely,

The Jamaholic.com team http://www.jamaholic.com

-----

Virus emails have come along way, this is the most convincing I've ever seen. But I'd still never open something like this up. Not to mention that I think I'd remember sending out an email like that from Jamaholic.com to myself... [Roll Eyes]

Guest Low Roller

We're getting spammed like crazy at work. The new trojans are rather ingenious, so more than ever you have to be very careful about opening attachments.

Basically NEVER open attachments with .exe, .vbs, or .scr as extensions... and look out for files with double extensions like .txt.exe... those will fuck you up too.

Also, if you use Microsoft Outlook, it's recommended that you turn off the preview pane, as some virii open in the preview pane automatically.

More than ever your home computer NEEDS a firewall and anti-virus software. It's worth buying some good software in those areas.

I never open attatchments unless I know who's sending it even then its best to check with the sender to ask if they meant to send it... many a modern virus will immediately e-mail itself to everyone on your address book with you as the sender

and yeah, not too damn likely microsoft is going to send you a personal e-mail unless you wrote them one they're responding to

this is kind of interesting

the different virus' (worms actually) spreading around today have insults written in the source code to the other worm authors

quote:

And now the authors of MyDoom.G, spreading today, have included comments in the worm's code insulting Netsky.

A similar message was found in Bagel J, also discovered today, which ended: "Don't ruine our bussiness, wanna start a war?"

Netsky's authors responded with the following message in Netsky.F: "Skynet AntiVirus - Bagle - you are a looser!!!"

"We have three different groups fighting here," said Mikko Hypponen, director of antivirus research for F-Secure.

I thought February was over [Confused]

Link to story

source: boing boing

You should also stay away from opening emails that have attachments that end with .pif or. sit unless you know who is sending it to you and why. .sit files are stuff-its, but apparently people have figured out how to send virus in it.

I received a number of emails at work today saying it was from our .com management team that claimed if I didn't open their file my email address and account were to be terminated. Definitely untrue, so watch out for that.

Brief Description:

W32/Bagle.j and W32/Bagle.k

Please be aware that there is a mass-mailing worm entitled W32/Bagle.j and W32/Bagle.k that is presently circulating over the Internet. The message has a random subject line (warning about your email account, important notify about your e-mail account, e-mail account security warning, e-mail account utilization warning) and contains an attachment with the file extension .zip along with a password.

More info from Symantec

Archived