Jambands.ca

If you could ask the New Deal....

MarcO

Who thought up the 'live progessive breakbeat house" thing.. and how important do they think having that tag has been for their success?

How lucky are they to have the big friendly and farrow on crew?!!

What do they think of Particle?

HOw does it feel to be blown off the stage by Grand Theft Bus? [Wink][Razz]

I gots another one! This could be a good follow up to a Canadian jam band scene question if his reply to that was something along the lines of "i'm more into the electronic scene, i've never been the biggest jam music fan myself". [Note that I may be getting Darren confused with Dan here, but I'll leave the homework up to you [Wink] ]

So, anyways, if Darren is the one who is really into electronic music, I'd be interested to know how he began collaborating with Shields, who was at the time into a very different kind of music than Darren was.

yes, on 2/4 at Fanshawe. It was open to students and guests, and was apparently very poorly attended, unlike 2001, when it was pretty busy.

They haven't played a non-educational venue in London for a long while, though. Are there any decent ones out there that are of relatively larger capacity than Call The Office or The Embasy??

Club Pheonix is a sweet idea for a place. I even had a good time at the Wave up at the university. I unfortunately didn't hear about the Fanshawe show. Personally I don't really enjoy being at fanshawe considering I was there for a few too many years.

Keep on Rocken tND

• 3 months later...

Before I go on somehow my hard drive just played Lazy Lightning> The Hurt (Aceyalone)> Supplication from the same fucking show no less out of like 750 possible tracks. If this shit wasn't happening all the time around here I'd be freaked.

The piece in the Echo is ultimately what came out of that interview but there was alot of broader stuff and technical stuff we covered which I have detailed notes on. Here's a couple of leads technically as to developments in their sound. Seems the boys 'no sequencers/samplers/overdubs' schtick has faded a bit - I guess even Jerry needed his MIDI choral flute noises to sound like a pup again. Darren has a new snare and kick drum too I believe.

Nord Lead

http://onstagemag.com/ar/performance_roland_vbass/

> Camel Walk

I've seen TND about five times now, and while I've had a good time at every show (I think the last time I saw them was the best time), I would have a hard time justifying $17 to see them again. Their music also seems a bit predictable after a while... After seeing bands like Nero, Diesel Dog, Slowcoaster, Jimmy Swift, GTB, etc. and paying a lot less, I just don't know. As far as Ottawa goes, the best thing about seeing them, apart from the good beats, is the bigger venue/bigger crowd they get to play in, which makes for a better atmosphere.

As for a question, I'd want to know about potential collaborations with other musicians. Personally, I'd love to see them expand their sound a little. How about another percussion player, or a dj, or horns...???

Ask them why they hate playing Toronto. Since me and my girlfriend got into tND, they've played Toronto 3 times. I know bands want to move beyond their hometown, but when I see that they'll play Guelph or out east (no disrespect to either), it makes me wonder why they pass up on a chance to let more people see them (and make more $$$) in a bigger city. Are they too good for us?

In the past they've played T.O. about 6 to 8 times a year.

I bet they're holding out for a big CD release party come the Fall. At this point, this is the longest they've gone without doing a T.O. show.

They are playing Kee To Bala in July.

sorry, i initiallythough this interview was yet to take place.

also:

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

"Coke and hookers, discuss"

^^^^LMFAO!!!!!!

i would ask them what it was like having someone as humbled and talented as brad barr join them onstage during the creekside jamboree.

also, ask jamie if there are there any more plans for Laverneus Cool*. Any gigs lined up in place of the cancelled relix gig. if they got to gether and rehearsed and what not yet. and if any other get togethers are being looked into. namely anything with marc friedman....lol.

*Laverneus Cool is:

Jamie Shields

Al schnier

Marc Brownstien

Joe Russo

Archived