Jambands.ca

Festival Express DVD

AdamH

So many people received this DVD, and I'm wondering what y'all thought of it? I hadn't actually watched it until this weekend, and although it was good I was disappointed with the lack of train footage...as I was with the theatre release. I suspect the reason for that is that none of the living artists would allow compromising footage to be included...if Rick Danko were still here he'd have probably nixed the scene with he, Jerry and Janis too. So I'm thankful for at least that. It's just unfortunate that you have to listen to the artists, the promoters and everyone else rave about the train ride, and yet see so very little of it.

The additional concert clips and interviews were good. My girlfriend said it almost seemed like the whole thing was a eulogy for Janis Joplin in that her performances were such standouts.

We got the DVD at Xmas time, and I was surprised at how excellent it was. How cool is that vintage Band footage?!?

Anyway, am I the only one who felt that Ken Walker was a bit of a prick in the interview segments? What an unpleasant man. Every story he tells ends with him pushing someone down a flight of stairs, or wrestling with a mayor, or generally just boasting about how "hard" he was. Chill out, Kenny.

The promoter (I'm assuming that's Ken?) was a creepy-looking bugger but I'm glad he did what he did...and I'm sure he did it because he was a huge admirer of these artists.

Must say though, the clips from some of those jams are incredible and I'd have loved more of that...I don't need more footage of drunken rick danko but I would've loved to see what else transpired with Buddy Guy and company. Smokin' smokin' hot stuff from the 20 seconds they left in there.