Jambands.ca

New Orleans is Sinking

guigsy

Here's a link to one rescuers assessment of the evacuation efforts.

I was personally questionning what officials were doing to ensure that people with no mode of transportation or money could evacuate during a mandatory evacuation order.

The poorest 20% (you can argue with the number -- 10%? 18%? no one knows) of the city was left behind to drown. This was the plan. Forget the sanctimonious bullshit about the bullheaded people who wouldn't leave. The evacuation plan was strictly laissez-faire. It depended on privately owned vehicles, and on having ready cash to fund an evacuation. The planners knew full well that the poor, who in new orleans are overwhelmingly black, wouldn't be able to get out. The resources -- meaning, the political will -- weren't there to get them out.

[color:purple]the most the city did for it's people was provide free shuttles to the superdome. That quote there, bouche, from the resue worker, that makes me sick....And now, these people who were left to drown and are starving and dehydrated are now being shot to death for "looting" because they're "stealing" essential survival needs from shops. That pisses me off.

I've had the Tragically Hip song stuck in my head too. Problem is, you won't hear it on the radio (at least not in Ottawa): www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/08/31/1195132-sun.html

One more thing. I didn't know the guys at Popular Mechanics were into the Hip (check out the publication date... creepy): www.popularmechanics.com/science/research/1282151.html

Now let us open our hymn books to a little ditty by brother John Fogarty...

I hear hurricanes a-blowing.

I know the end is coming soon.

I fear rivers overflowing.

I hear the voice of rage and ruin.

nice...

I always think:

Just like New York City,

Just like Jericho

Pace the halls and climb the walls

Get out when they blow

was kind of prescient of 9-11

and the walls of Jericho came tumbling down

I get saddened by many news reports of whats happening all along the Gulf, but also somehow think the poorer people who survived maybe have had a slate cleaned which maybe may provide an opportunity to reclaim something more than they had before from their connection to the spirit of the land there

maybe just cheap drunk too long awake optimism

goodnight

Fats Domino among the missing.

By the way - lucyinthesky - I just wanted to point one thing out to you, and please, I don't mean an ounce of harm or disrespect in pointing this out, but on this board, a purple font on a post is a sign that the post is meant sarcastically. I just thought that should be brought up because in reading your responses, I'd be surprised if you indeed were being sarcastic, and you don't deserve to be misinterpreted.

Here's a different perspective on the disaster...

This is a snippet from a much longer broadcast email that was sent out by a law professor at a university in Baton Rouge, LA. It is thoughts on what may lay ahead for the State of Louisiana overall in the aftermath of this disaster. She is focusing on the less obvious victims of Katrina, and it really puts into perspective that we can't even anticipate how far-reaching this will be and exactly who will end up falling victim in the end:

Our state supreme court is under some water - with all appellate files and evidence folders/boxes along with it. The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals building is under some water - with the same effect. Right now there may only be 3-4 feet of standing water but, if you think about it, most files are kept in the basements or lower floors of courthouses.

What effect will that have on the lives of citizens and lawyers throughout this state and this area of the country? And on the law?

The city and district courts in as many as 8 parishes/counties are under water, as well as 3 of our circuit courts - with evidence/files at each of them ruined. The law enforcement offices in those areas are under water - again, with evidence ruined. 6,000 prisoners in 2 prisons and one juvenile facility are having to be securely relocated. We already have over-crowding at most Louisiana prisons and juvenile facilities. What effect will this have? And what happens when the evidence in their cases has been destroyed? Will the guilty be released upon the communities? Will the innocent not be able to prove their innocence?

here's an interesting little article about the team from Vancouver that trekked 2200 miles to the destruction zone and made a whole wack of new friends.

Great action of their parts without a doubt & very honorable.Poor form on the whole "Canada beats the US" thing though in my opinion.I'm glad it came through reuters and not directly from Canadian media.

Appears they are killing the stray pets now (local cops) while the military is collecting them & trying to keep them alive until the SPCA or other organizations arrive to save them.

Not graphic,you hear shots & the reporter say the killed dog(s) but dont actually see it,but still depressing.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/photography/2005/katrina_video/straydogs.html

Got this info from here:

http://forums.petfinder-network.com/viewtopic.php?t=74177&sid=e1350b80b3967ff2683e6d7036d21683