Jambands.ca

Gay?

dancingbear

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is this thread just a general thread for any and all gay news...

Wife gets divorce after husband has affair with another man

Last Updated Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:20:18 EDT

CBC News

A Vancouver woman was granted a divorce Tuesday after her husband had engaged in an adulterous affair with another man.

A B.C. Supreme Court judge decided that that amounted to adultery even though adultery has not included affairs by people of the same sex.

Traditionally, adultery involved voluntary sex between a spouse and someone of the opposite gender, to whom the person is not married.

But Justice Nicole Garson said she had been persuaded that she had the authority to make a change in the definition.

According to the woman's lawyer, the judge's decision could have far-reaching consequences across the country. The increasing number of same-sex marriages will inevitably lead to same-sex affairs, said barbara findlay. (The woman's lawyer spells her name using all lower-case letters.)

"It's likely to happen a lot because same-sex partners are predictably more likely to have affairs with other people of the same gender than with people of the opposite gender," findlay said.

Adultery is not defined in federal legislation. So judges hearing similar cases in other provinces will be persuaded by this decision, findlay added.

Findlay noted that her 44-year-old client, who cannot be named, had been married for almost 17 years. The woman filed for divorce after she discovered last October that her husband was having an affair with a man.

When Justice Garson was approached earlier this year, she did not know if she had the authority to grant a divorce based on an affair by a husband with a man. In February, she asked the woman to hire a lawyer to argue that adultery should include same-sex affairs.

The judge was convinced and issued Tuesday's ruling.

One thing I found curious about the school system was that when somebody threw around words like "faggot", "queer", or similar, it was treated as though they had said "jerk" or "asshole". That is - not pursued in the disciplinary fashion in the way that the bigotry of an ethnic slur would be pursued, but rather addressed in a "be quiet and stop being mean" kind of way. It carried the implicit suggestion that being a "faggot" or a "queer" was, in fact, a terrible thing and it was calling someone such a terrible thing that was the primary trespass.

It has been awhile, but the last time I saw my one sister, she was in the habit of using "gay" in a derogatory way. To me it seemed like a weird 80s throwback, and difficult to stomach. Much like the use of "jewed" to mean ripped-off raises my blood to an uncomfortable 39c (measured rectally, if you're wondering).

There are few people from the board that I would be offended by using the term. But most people I hear using the word "gay" in this way are of the 15-20 year-old "tough guy" variety. They are the same people that call each other "faggot" or "cocksucker" to get a rise out of each other. There is a definate suggestion of homosexuality - not a word that has "moved beyond its origins".

I sometimes say something like "hmmm ... that looks kind of faggy, though, dontcha think?" to illicit a laugh in appropriate company. Intent is a large part of it, and assured understanding another. I would never say something like that to somebody who wasn't either a) gay or B) known to be sympathetic to the plight of gays/lesbians. But it's quite another thing to throw it around on a bus or in a classroom or somesuch where somebody who is already suffering needs to suffer more because you are beating them deeper into the ground with your choice of words.

Interesting side note...(?)

And remember:

"It has been suggested that the gender-specific term "manhole cover" is not politically correct, but the gender-neutral version "person-hole cover" does not seem to have caught on. Alternative suggestions include "inspection cover" and "access hatch". One proposed name is "Maintenance Hole" or "Maintenance Hatch", which doesn't require changing the acronym and hence many city maps."

This sort of thing never really happened.

An official movement to rename maitenance equipment?

Whose job would this be?

This is a sort-of cautionary tail that gets told to deflect the actions of well-intentioned activists.

A boogey-man for the powerful. (Not unlike the current gay conspiracy to bring down Christianity)

The give away is the non-specific attributation "it has been suggested..."

The powerful don't fight for equality they fight for the status quo. Anything else feels like failure...even if it's righteous.

Jef

P.S.--For more info on fear tactics and the myth of the politically correct revolution read Barry Glassner's book "The Culture of Fear"

(Not unlike the current gay conspiracy to bring down Christianity)

I'm a little too drunk to trust my own judgement, so I'm just assuming that this is in purple, and that all is well with the world.

[edit: I understand what you were saying now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- don't mind me]

Edited by Guest
delayed comprehension and contextual blindness

Hey.

I'm always amazed when people who are the "majority" (in this case not gay [or jewish?]I suppose)react to having their unfair advantage pointed out to them.

There's always this sort of offended exspression followed by the acusation that the person who brought it up is somehow uptight or radical.

Like people are trying to spoil the party.

It makes people scared.

The myth of the political correct revolution was born out of this.

It's interesting.

Jef

Agreed, bald guy. There are some responses to these arguments that defy all reason. One of them is the "go find something important to think about" response. How arrogant!

This is a message boards with many things to talk about. If you've found yourself in a thread that you find unimportant, move on, but don't be so obnoxious as to tell other people their discussion and concerns are unimportant. Unless you're just The Coolest Person EVER. Because if you're The Coolest Person EVER, than go ahead, I guess we should take stock in what you deem to be worthy of our debate or not. Otherwise, there's always the option not to contribute and go talk about how some music sucks or how Jerry Garcia burned out in the mid-1980's, or something enlightening like that.

Who fuckin' cares they're only words. If you're happy with who you are there is absolutely no reason that derogatory language should be found offensive. If you are offended, you are most likely a manic depressive and have self-esteem issues or quite simply mentally retarded.

here here, words are meaningless and only have value based on context, you bunch of gay jewy fags! I use gay all the time and I mean gay, like that or this is gay (as in BAD.) Gays, Jews, crooks, politicians whoever, relax and teach your kids what you think their values should be. Gay used to mean happy right? So why didn't everyone get made when queers co-opted that word? Because it doesn't matter worth a sh!t.

Worse things happen to better people every damn day, the last thing we should spend our time and energy on is offending someone with words. I'm offended when people think the homeless have only themselves to blame. bullsh!t.

Gays, Jews, crooks, politicians whoever, relax and teach your kids what you think their values should be.

[color:purple]Absolutely! And when people use words that describe you to mean things like "lame" or "cheap" or other derogatory things, just ignore them! "It doesn't matter worth a shit!" You are completely wrong to be offended and should simply remain silent and allow the majority to speak of you however it wishes. Know your place in our unofficial caste system, people, and don't speak out of turn!

Hey.

I'm always amazed when people who are the "majority" (in this case not gay [or jewish?]I suppose)react to having their unfair advantage pointed out to them.

There's always this sort of offended exspression followed by the acusation that the person who brought it up is somehow uptight or radical.

Like people are trying to spoil the party.

It makes people scared.

The myth of the political correct revolution was born out of this.

It's interesting.

Jef

Agreed' date=' bald guy. There are some responses to these arguments that defy all reason. One of them is the "go find something important to think about" response. How arrogant!

This is a message boards with many things to talk about. If you've found yourself in a thread that you find unimportant, move on, but don't be so obnoxious as to tell other people their discussion and concerns are unimportant. Unless you're just The Coolest Person EVER. Because if you're The Coolest Person EVER, than go ahead, I guess we should take stock in what you deem to be worthy of our debate or not. Otherwise, there's always the option not to contribute and go talk about how some music sucks or how Jerry Garcia burned out in the mid-1980's, or something enlightening like that.

[/quote']

so its not ok for me to say a discussion regarding verbal offense is unimportant(which i didn't, i said there are more pressing matters) but you can go right ahead and belittle my opinion on the matter? its the exact same thing. and then the "coolest person ever" personal attack, as well as the reference to jerry's bad 80s playing(also me) all i did was voice my opinion like everyone else(negative or otherwise) and you respond with personal attacks. seems like you're the one who needs to think about the things he posts.

its people like you who make me antisocial.

Edited by Guest
"not"

djed,

you said any one who thinks calling something gay should relax, and its here to stay so move on to more pressing things. to me this equates with thinking something is unimportant and belittles my thoughts and feelings on the matter. i don't see how it is constuctive at all.

i really dig this community we have going. i would hope that if someone took offence to something i was doing, that they would speak up so i could consider what i was doing. if in reflection i thought it was wrong, and even if i didn't why keep doing it if it bothers another? kinda wish the laws were like that. do whatever the fuck you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. that's why i started this thread, cause some posts were bothering me and i did not see the humour in them.

dbear thats true, and i apologize. however this is a debate and i went with the 3rd option as thats how i feel. i made other valid points so its not like i'm trolling or anything. i think i was pretty civil for the most part. i'm not the one who resorted to personal attacks, which does nothing.

anyway, i'm starting to think my negativity belongs elsewhere.