Jambands.ca

The Sadies recording live album THIS WEEKEND!!

AD

Article from Chart Magazine: (ps I'm getting so pumped for Saturday)

The Sadies Put Out An APB On Andre Williams

Tuesday January 31, 2006 @ 06:30 PM

By: ChartAttack.com Staff

The Sadies

Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt your regularly scheduled ChartAttack fix of Blood Brothers, Massive Attack, Futureheads and Ice Cube. Sadies guitarist, singer and songwriter Dallas Good has a very urgent request.

"If anybody knows where Andre Williams is, please let us know. We've got a million different phone numbers for him, and we've tried every one. He's one of the only people that we've just been absolutely unable to find. We've sent word with every mutual friend."

Why, you ask, is this man making a heartfelt plea to find one of the godfathers of bacon-encrusted '50s R&B?

After years of touring all over the world, The Sadies have decided to commit two shows to tape for a double-disc set that will be released this summer. If you've ever been to a Sadies show, you know that these guys always make use of whatever friends and family members are in town that night. It only makes sense that if you want to document that particular idea, you might as well go all out. Unfortunately, Williams is one of the few people they haven't been able to track down. Despite that, Good is still blown away by how many people have said they'll be there.

The list runs the gauntlet of past Sadies collaborators. There will be members of Blue Rodeo, The Deadly Snakes, Heavy Trash and, of course, the Good Brothers. You'll also see Jon Langford (The Mekons, Waco Brothers), former Jayhawk Gary Louris (who will produce The Sadies' next record), Neko Case, Kelly Hogan, their Unintended partner, Rick White, and some surprise guests.

The recording will be done at shows on February 3 and 4 at Toronto's Lee's Palace (the same venue that Case used to record part of her The Tigers Have Spoken live record with The Sadies and others), with Steve Albini and Don Pyle producing.

One thing that Good wants to stress is that The Sadies aren't breaking up. "This isn't The Last Waltz," he says.

"I don't want any comparisons to that. It's not a variety show. The point is to make a Sadies live record, and we're just seizing the opportunity while we have tape and all our friends are around. There will be new material as well as the songs we have always played live but never recorded. Best of all, there isn't a lot of pressure because playing live is what we do best."

The band spent a lot of 2005 working on the soundtrack for Toronto director Ron Mann's upcoming Tales Of The Rat Fink documentary about artist and hot rod designer Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, working on Case's forthcoming Fox Confessor Brings The Flood album and, of course, touring. Good says the band "wanted to get caught up, and this is a good way to get caught up."

But Good still wishes that Williams could be there for the two-night party.

"He must know at this point that we're doing it. It must just not be conducive. We'd love to hear from him. Andre Williams and The Sadies had a really great experience together. We really wish he could be at this one."

2 more articles for ya:

Eye Magazine

It's a Friday afternoon at Mitzi's Sister, and the only ale Dallas Good is drinking has the word "ginger" in front of it. The Sadies guitarist isn't just detoxing; he's no-toxing. No smokes, no bourbon -- he's even retired from coffee.

It's not that Good's getting older; he's just been getting ulcers. Amazingly, they haven't discouraged him from organizing this weekend's two mega Sadies shows at Lee's Palace, where the Toronto roots-rock treasures will mark 10 years of the powerhouse Dallas 'n' Travis Good, Sean Dean, Mike Belitsky lineup by recording a live album with plenty of help from their friends.

In honour of the occasion, Good is talking us through The Sadies' confirmed guest list, and in doing so, highlighting what makes The Sadies so damn special: who else could throw a party with members of Blue Rodeo and the Blues Explosion, Steve Albini and their mom? But don't call these concerts The Sadies' Last Waltz-- this band's still got a whole lotta dancing left to do.

BRUCE & MARGARET GOOD (Canadian country music legends; also known as "mom and dad"): "When we first started playing, Travis and I had this arsenal of country and bluegrass standards that really formed the backbone of what The Sadies became and that was entirely their influence, of course. But I didn't know I could sing those songs until I was twentysomething. We sing out of tune perfectly together!"

ANDRE ETHIER & MAX MCCABE-LOKOS (The Deadly Snakes): "They were at our first show at the Cameron, and they weren't old enough to get in; I had to say they were my cousins. When they told me their band was called The Deadly Snakes, before I had ever heard them, I vowed they would be my favourite band, and they didn't let me down!"

STEVE ALBINI (notorious producer): "Steve had worked with Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet; I had been in a band with two of those guys called Phono-Comb. We hired him to make to the first three Sadies records, so with this live record, we're bringing in Steve to do sound. I feel that he knew how to capture us as a live band, but at the time [we worked with him], we probably should've been more of a studio band!"

NEKO CASE (enlisted The Sadies for a 1998 tour, the 2004 live album The Tigers Have Spoken and the upcoming Fox Confessor Brings the Flood): "I was her guitarist on the first-record tour-- she called me up cold, I had never met her-- and I wasn't that comfortable with a bunch of pick-up guys, so The Sadies toured with her immediately following that. It's a testament to us thinking alike that we can go six years without working together and then make two records and then go back to the way we were -- she's got a new band now."

JON LANGFORD (leader of roots-punk royalty The Mekons and The Waco Brothers; recorded 2003's The Mayors of the Moon with The Sadies): "If you had told me 10 years ago that I would one day work with Langford, I would laugh in your face. I've always held The Mekons in really high regard, even though I didn't listen to them much growing up. We are the Canadian Mekons, quite literally: we're on their Punk Rock record, we did their 25th anniversary tour as The Mekons, doing a set of their songs. I knew Jon made so many side-project records that I just told him one day, 'If you send us some lyrics we'll give you a record,' and he did just that. He's been really great for the band; he brought us to England for the first time on The Waco Brothers' dime."

KELLY HOGAN (Chicago indie-country crooner; appeared on 1999's Pure Diamond Gold): "She was somebody we had almost overlooked, but then we saw her recently in Chicago and couldn't believe we had forgotten her. And she was willing to drive up here, so she's in."

GREG KEELOR (Blue Rodeo) & RICK WHITE (Eric's Trip/Elevator; both play with The Sadies in their acid-rock offshoot The Unintended): "Our link to both Greg and Rick is that what they do as individuals and what The Sadies do as a group is basically different takes on the same genre. We've come together in a million different ways: Blue Rodeo had taken us under their wing for a long time, and that's lent itself to Travis guesting on their records. When Rick first moved to Toronto, we lived together. It doesn't feel like 'The Sadies plus those guys' when we all play together [in The Unintended]. It's hard for The Sadies to do longer, slower songs in a set -- we try to provide atmosphere in a nightclub where the booze is cheap."

GARY LOURIS (formerly of defunct alt-country faves The Jayhawks; will co-produce The Sadies' next studio record): "Gary brought The Sadies on tour with The Jayhawks before they disbanded, and we became really good friends. I was like, 'Well, we're doing this live record,' and he's like, 'When is it? Can I come? Is there floor space for me?' Everybody is doing this for the love of the game. Everybody we called said 'yes.' It wasn't like, 'How much?'"

JON SPENCER (founder of garage-punk legends Pussy Galore and the Blues Explosion; now fronts rockabilly ramblers Heavy Trash with Matt Verta-Ray): "The first big Sadies show was opening for the Blues Explosion at the Opera House in '95. It was a big deal to us because we had done maybe five shows locally. I loved the Blues Explosion, and Pussy Galore to this day are one of my favourite bands. But we'd never crossed paths. Heavy Trash signed to Yep Roc [The Sadies' US label] and they needed a band. They came to see us at the Bowery in New York one night and that was the [deal-maker] as far as they were concerned. I was intimidated before meeting him, for sure. I gotta say, it was cold -- we didn't know him when we first got the call. Whether it would work or not was a total roll of the dice. But it soon felt like we had known each other for a long time, because we have a similar sense of humour. Jon's not some spoiled rock star -- he slept at my apartment in the middle of the heat wave on a shitty futon."

THE SADIES AND FRIENDS PLAY LEE'S PALACE (529 BLOOR W) FEB 3 & 4. $25 FROM TICKETMASTER, THE HORSESHOE, ROTATE THIS, SOUNDSCAPES.

thesadiebunch.JPG

Toronto Star Article

Sadies shows pull in pros

Good lineup for a festival

Band recording live album

Feb. 2, 2006. 01:00 AM

VIT WAGNER

POP MUSIC CRITIC

Sharing a stage with the likes of alt-country diva Neko Case, punk veteran Jon Langford of the Mekons and the Waco Brothers, Blue Rodeo, Gary Louris of the Jayhawks and Jon Spenser of Blues Explosion fame is nothing new for the Sadies.

Headlining on a bill that includes all of the aforementioned — and a bunch of others — is a more novel experience.

The Toronto roots rock quartet — made up of singer/guitarist siblings Travis and Dallas Good, bassist Sean Dean and drummer Mike Belitsky — has invited a few of its friends to help with the recording of a live album, Friday and Saturday at Lee's Palace.

"When I first saw the poster for the show," says Travis Good, "I said to (Blue Rodeo's) Greg Keelor, `Geez, that's a good lineup. That could be a major festival anywhere in Canada.

"The only difference is that normally our name would be in the tiny print down in the bottom corner.'"

The program, also featuring Chicago singer Kelly Hogan, the Deadly Snakes and members of the Good Brothers, will include two sets: the first performed by the Sadies, the second with the hosts backing up various of their invitees.

Steve Albini, the legendary engineer/producer who has worked on three studio albums by the Sadies, will run the board.

"I think he'd be good doing a live record," says Good of Albini, whose resumé includes albums by The Pixies, Nirvana and a slew of others.

"He seems to be good at every kind of record he makes."

The set list will include covers and originals, although Good is reluctant to divulge many specifics.

"I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to give away the set list. I feel kind of funny about doing that."

The idea for the project was partly inspired by The Tigers Have Spoken, a live disc recorded by Case in 2004, with the Sadies as accompanists.

"I've always thought our strength was our live show. And doing a live record was fun," says Good.

"We'll see how Friday goes. If it goes smoothly, we might do the same show Saturday. Or maybe we'll change it up. I'm not sure."

The album is due to be released in the summer by Outside Music.

It's shaping up as another eventful year for the characteristically hard-working Sadies. The band recorded the instrumental soundtrack to Tales of the Rat Fink.

The Ron Mann biopic about custom hot-rod maker Ed "Big Daddy" Roth has its March premiere at the SXSW fest in Austin.

"The only rule was we had to date the music," Good says. "There were timelines we had to use.

"There were certain scenes that had to be '40s, certain scenes that had to be '50s and so on. Other than that, it was pretty much open to interpretation."

Later in the year, the band will record a new studio album, some of it with Louris as producer.

"We keep ourselves busy," says Good. "That's how we end up hooking up with all these people in the first place."

I'm going to try and meet up with some jayhawksfanpage members at the Brunswick House tonight at 7-7:30PM.

Ah, thanks for the invite but I'm coming down to Toronto tomorrow for that show, I'll still be in Ottawa tonight. I'm also meeting up with some friends before the show tomorrow, but I will keep an eye out for you at Lee's... I think I remember what you look like. Chances are I'll be holding a beer. And I wanna get up real close to try out my new camera as well.

I'll PM you tomorrow before I leave to give you more hints about spotting me...

AD