Jambands.ca

The Sadies recording live album THIS WEEKEND!!

AD

February 3rd and 4th at Lee's Palace in Toronto. The Sadies will be joined by the following.

HOLY SHIT

the good brothers

neko case

blue rodeo

rick white

heavy trash (jon spencer & matt verta ray)

jon langford

kelly hogan

gary louris

steve albini

I have a feeling this will be epic.

AD

I've heard of them, but only heard one track, the one for which they had a video (shot outdoors, in the winter, in the woods; I can't remember the title, though; it used to be in rotation on Bravo!), and, well, it didn't impress me much. I think I might go see them if I could in Ottawa, but they're not on my list of bands I'm aching to see. (That said, I won't argue with anybody who's hyped for this show.)

Aloha,

Brad

I've heard of them, but only heard one track, the one for which they had a video (shot outdoors, in the winter, in the woods; I can't remember the title, though; it used to be in rotation on Bravo!), and, well, it didn't impress me much.

i've never seen a sadies video, but the way you describe it really makes me think of the Unintended album... which is the sadies w/ greg keelor from blue rodeo... dark countryfried pyschadelia. love it. but a little different from what the sadies typically do.

From my 'review' the last time I saw them:

"The Sadies must have pumped out 30+ songs (some of them even exceeded the 3 minute mark!), plus another 8-10 as an encore. Covers included Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil), Astronomy Domine (Floyd!!), Lazy Days (Parsons), Wasn't Born to Follow (Byrds), something from the Nashville West Album and traditional tunes like Pretty Polly and There’s A Higher Power."

http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/225436

The Mekons,

Jon Langford will be with the Sadies in February, don't know if you posted the Mekons because of this but yeah... Awesome.

BradM - the Sadies are the shit. The best band in the country. The best live show in the country. Next time they're in Ottawa I'll pay for your ticket and time if you don't enjoy the show.

AD

Thanks. I'll definitely try to get out and see them. I recall now that they (or some of the band) did some work with (at least some of) James McKenty And The Spades: "The Rising Sons" was the name IIRC. Since I figure that I'll probably like anybody who works with a band I like, they're now on the list of bands I want to see.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

I think Dallas has played with the Spades a few times, yeah.

AD

Actually, it's Travis Good that has played with The Spades as has Greg Keelor. A live album from The Sadies is worthy of all the attention and anticipation that it gets....a great live band.

I just bought my tickets for both nights!

I love the Sadies and I'll be looking forward to being at the shows that they record a live album for.

Also the Jayhawks are one of my favorite bands of the past fifteen years and to be at a gig that is to be recorded and Gary Louris will be on stage at is historic for me.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Still looking for an extra ticket for Saturday night, if anyone can help me out I would be very grateful.

Article today from the Toronto Sun:

Sadies calling on friends

By MARY DICKIE -- Toronto Sun

Sean Dean, left, Travis Good, Mike Belitsky and Dallas Good are The Sadies.

The Sadies are the city's most beloved country-surf-rock-psychedelic-punk band. Perhaps they're the city's only country-surf-rock-psychedelic-punk band, but no matter -- they're still beloved. And why shouldn't they be? Besides their ability to straddle the genres, they've developed some snazzy musicianship thanks to playing together for years and frequent touring, not to mention Hall of Fame genes in the case of singer-guitarists Dallas and Travis Good, sons and nephews of the Good Brothers. As well, they've collaborated with countryish chanteuse Neko Case, R&B singer Andre Williams, Mekons founder Jon Langford and many other legends and semi-legends. And they always like to give an audience its money's worth.

This weekend it will all come together when the band records a live album at Lee's Palace, with the help of an impressive group that includes Case, Langford and the extended Good family as well as Jon Spencer, Kelly Hogan, most of Blue Rodeo, the Jayhawks' Gary Louris, Elevator's Rick White and members of the Deadly Snakes, plus producer Steve Albini.

"We're going to do two sets, with the same lineup both nights," said Travis Good over the phone from his rural home last week. "One will be a Sadies set and the other will be us playing with our friends. It'll be one singer at a time, but these things all call for some some sort of ridiculous rock 'n' roll finale at the end. I guess what we're shooting for is a double album."

According to Good, the material will include new and old Sadies originals, as well as songs by the guests and covers. It's a big project, but not too big.

"We've been writing some songs, but it's a live record and I don't want to get too ambitious," said Good. "We're learning a couple of covers, and I don't want to take on too much.

"We've basically worked with everybody already, so it feels like we've already got a few rehearsals in. We'll stick with our strengths -- we know what we do best with each of these people, or what we think is best, anyway."

Over the past several albums, The Sadies -- Dallas and Travis plus bassist Sean Dean and drummer Mike Belitsky -- have been moving away from instrumental songs and relying more on the Goods' brotherly harmonies. But they recently finished a slew of instrumentals for the soundtrack to Ron Mann's new film about hot rods, Tales Of The Rat Fink.

"It was really cool," said Good. "Finally I've worked watching television into the equation of sitting on the couch and playing guitar and calling it work!"

The Sadies play Lee's Palace Friday and Saturday.