Jambands.ca

WORLD CUP

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

It's one week away, and the excitment is discernable everywhere in England. Flags are waving proudly everywhere, and it is hard not to get caught up in the game... I'm definitely going to be hitting the pubs are partaking in local celebrations cheering on England (while also secretly cheering for Poland)

I've joined a pool at work, where you need to pick a side (either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3) for the group stage, with 3 transfers possible for the playoffs. The catch is that the team salary cap is £50M.

That being said, what players would you pick?? Obviously players like Ronaldhino and Thiery are world class, but end up being very expensive.

My current line-up is:

K Dida Brazil 4

D1 Roberto Carlos Brazil 4.6

D2 W Gallas France 4.1

D3 Luisao Brazil 3.6

D4 A Friedrich Germany 3.6

M1 Z Zidane France 4.5

M2 C Ronaldo Portugal 3.7

M3 Gilberto Silva Brazil 3.3

S1 H Crespo Argentina 6.6

S2 Ronaldo Brazil 6

S3 D Trezeguet France 7.4

TOTAL 51.4

So I'm over by £1.4M... I need to get rid of some players... Any advice?

Edited by Low Roller

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roberto Carlos- shite, waay too old and slow. and i'd expect ronaldhino to take the free kicks instead of him so there's little value there

Zidane- love him to pieces but see above (although he might take some free kicks so he may get you some points there)

and call me crazy but i'd take arjen robben over ronaldo or trez (check out this tastey quote):

"I think it's all down to a lack of knowledge. After all, what is fat?" - Who else could it be but Ronaldo?

also, i hate gilberto silva, i'd lean toward Xabi Alonso, sniejder or gerrard (mark my words he's going to have an Amazing WC)

i don't think france will do all that well, brasil will probably win it but it'll be ronaldhino carrying them not ronaldo anymore. also brasil's defence isn't great, don't expect too many clean sheets from them. if van der saar is cheaper i'd take him...

anyway just my humble opinions

Guest Low Roller

Cool. cool. That's exactly what I need! I need all your inputs to show those limey brits that Canada knows their shit in footy, or SOCCER as I proudly call it to their face.

Guest Low Roller

Given that I can transfer up to three players after the group stage, I'm purely trying to focus on the easy groups to predict such as C (Argentina, Ivory Coast, Serbia & Montenegro, Netherlands), D (Mexico, Iran, Angola, Portugal), F (Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan) and H (Spain, Ukraine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia). Every other group seems to have a debatable result.

Group E (Italy, USA, Ghana, Czech) is the group of death so I am avoiding any players from those teams.

Clean sheets are BIG points for keepers and defenders, so although you say that Brazil has weak D, just look at their competition! Weak! Which team has the highest chances of three clean sheets in the group stage?

The scoring system is thus:

All players

+2 pts for appearing in the starting XI

+1 pt for appearing as a substitute

+3 pts for a Key Contribution (playing a significant part in setting up a goal)

+5 pts for scoring a goal (including penalty shoot-outs)

+3 pts for being named as the Man-of-the-Match by the Telegraph journalist at the game

-5 pts for missing a penalty (including shoot-outs)

-3 pts for an own goal

-5 pts for being sent off

-2 pts for a booking

Goalkeepers and defenders only

+4 pts for a full match clean sheet (including extra time)

+2 pts for not conceding a goal during a part-appearance

+5 pts for a penalty save (goalkeepers only, including penalty shoot-outs)

-1 pt for each goal conceded (not including shoot-outs)

"I'm purely trying to focus on the easy groups to predict such as C (Argentina, Ivory Coast, Serbia & Montenegro, Netherlands)"

There is nothing easy about that group. I'd say this is the "group of death" not the yankee group.

you best be taking Robocrouch.. I hear the robot is sweeping the nation over there.

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

hahahahaha.... Prince William forced Crouch to do the dance at a Team England practice yesterday which was hilarious.

Argentina and Netherlands are making it through, S&M have too many internal problems due to the recent political rift to be focused enough to complete, and the Ivory Coast is just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can't see any reason to think of C as the group of death over E.

Tricky actually, in that serbia/monte finished top of their group in the qaulifying round, higher than than spain and the Ivory Coast are the African Cup of Nations runners-up

anyway i do't htink there's anything easy about predicting this kinda crap, go with your gut is what i always say (maybe that's why my gut's been growing so much lately :P)

yeah saw the prince william thing last night, maybe its gonna sweep the world.

I wouldnt write off the serbs. they did finish ahead of spain in qualifying. i doubt the team gives a shit about the politics right now.

the ivory coast is a scary team. they wont go through but could cause an upset to push through the serbs.

Guest Low Roller

Ok, here is my squad after a little more research, and 'gut feel':

E van der Sar Holland 3.6

G van Bronckhorst Holland 4

M Salgado Spain 3.6

J Sorin Argentina 3.9

Lucio Brazil 3.7

S Gerrard England 4.7

C Ronaldo Portugal 3.7

Gilberto Silva Brazil 3.3

H Crespo Argentina 6.6

Raul Spain 7

J Borgetti Mexico 5.7

That's £49.8M... I can change Raul for Van Nisterlrooy... Should I? Any other suggestions?

Koller's half-crocked, has been on and off the injury list for the last few months

this is pretty tough eh LR?!?!

Bit'o'trivia:

The league best represented at this year's WC is England with over 102 of the 736 registered World Cup players being members of English club squads, a confident lead over nearest challengers Germany, with 73

funfunfun

Edited by Guest
don't let go the coat

Guest Low Roller

yeah, tell me about it. Because of the salary cap I don't have a single Brazilian striker, which is where the sure points are for the group stage.

If you want I can e-mail you the official pool spreadsheet I'm using for selecting my team if you want to play along... or run a seperate World Cup pool on this board.

Guest Low Roller

Ok. I have to submit my team by midday tomorrow, and so far this is my line-up...

E van der Sar, Holland, 3.6

L Thuram, France, 3.8

J Terry, England, 4.1

J Sorin, Argentina , 3.9

Lucio, Brazil, 3.7

A Robben, Holland, 3.5

C Ronaldo , Portugal, 3.7

Kaka, Brazil, 4.3

S Gerrard , England, 4.7

H Crespo, Argentina, 6.6

R van Nistelrooy, Holland, 7.1

TOTAL 49

I still have £1M to play with if need be. I can fit Viera in Midfield over C Ronaldo, and I am £100K away from being able to replace van Nistelrooy with Adriano... worth it?

id take Adriano over RVN. Though either way your team looks pretty good.

Sad World cup news..

Cisse from Liverpool broke his leg yesterday in a friendly with China. Open fracture to the right fibula, two broken legs in two years for the guy.

Wasnt a bad challenge or anything, he was falling studs stuck in the grass and leg broke just above the ankle.

YNWA Djib

Edited by Guest