Jambands.ca

WORLD CUP

Guest Low Roller

Pre-match: Wayne Rooney received a tremendous roar from the England fans as he went out to warm-up for his first start in seven and a half weeks in the World Cup Group B clash with Sweden.

Rooney is restored to the starting line-up ahead of Peter Crouch after convincing Sven-Goran Eriksson he had regained sufficient match sharpness after recovering from his broken metatarsal.

Eriksson is looking to Rooney to reignite the form of of his strike partner Michael Owen, who had laboured against Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago.

As expected, Owen Hargreaves starts for England for the first time in 27 months in place of Steven Gerrard - who is not risked as he had already collected a yellow card.

Rio Ferdinand wins his 50th cap as England look to end a run of 11 games without a victory against the Swedes stretching back to 1968.

Marcus Allback replaces Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who is not considered fit enough to start in the Swedish attack after a groin injury.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THe England defending was atrocious, they;re definately going to have to step it up a notch, lickety split.

So anyone wanna come on by the Gap of Dunloe (Bank & Cooper) for the Netherlands-Argies game today? Should be the best game of the first round (barring a tentative approach by both teams).

[color:red]edited to change venue for watching the game- now Biddy Mulligans, @ 303 Bank and MacLaren, due to the Gap of Dunloe not being open...

3:00 kickoff, Creemore on tap

Hup Holland!

argentina.jpg

England's woes explained

Edited by Guest
...i hope they have Creemore on tap...

As The Economist recently noted of America's disregard for football, 'behind all this lies a bigger debate about America's cultural idiosyncrasy...America's exceptionalism has provoked a fierce debate between 'red' Americans, who are proud of their country's oddness, and 'blue' Americans who think that America should pay more attention to the rest of the world.'

The opening lines of twincities.com World Cup editorial- the website of the leading newspaper for the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul in the heart of middle America- suggests that it is redder than the sunburnt cardinals standing in front of the Red Sea eating tomatoes:

'If the government really is serious about identifying illegal immigrants, it soon will be provided a unique opportunity to record their whereabouts.

'All the Department of Homeland Security has to do is monitor the city-by-city television ratings of this month's World Cup soccer tournament. Agents should be dispatched to any area in which the ratings reflect an unnaturally high level of interest. That likely signals a concentrated pocket of illegals.'

As for 'real' Americans, 'We don't like soccer because we do understand it. And it's awful.

'It's time to quit apologizing and tell the truth. When it comes to soccer, we're right, and the rest of the world is wrong.

'Many spectators in soccer-crazed countries warm up for a big match by hitting their neighbor in the head with a brick. And as soon as little Nigel or Fiona is old enough, mum and dad take them out back and practice squishing them against a chain link fence.

'Yes, America may be the only country that doesn't go goofy for soccer. We also are the only remaining super power. Don't you see a connection there?'

America is also the most-despised country on earth. Perhaps the more pertinent question is whether they can they see the connection there.

[color:red]edited to change venue for watching the game- now Biddy Mulligans, @ 303 Bank and MacLaren, due to the Gap of Dunloe not being open...

I'm on course today and should be able to get out a little early. I might drop by for the 2nd half. What are the implications of this match?

holy fack did graham poll (Brit ref of the Croatia- Oz game) ever have a bad game yesterday- i only cuaght the last few minutes, but for him to have given that croatian dude 3 yellow cards?!? WTF?!?! AND he blew the for full time as Oz was firing the ball into the net! bizarre

That's his last game I'll bet, what a way to be remembered... rough year for him

Edited by Guest
rickets

The winds of shit are in the air tonight in Korea.. Its 10pm on a Friday night, and at 4am the big game commences.. Korea vs. Switzerland, do or die! Korea is the underdog, but people are pumped. I hear the chanting on the streets below. I'm going to a friend's gig and then hopefully gonna make it down to City Hall, drunken and beligerant. More to come!!!!!

Guest Low Roller

Koreans know how to throw-down.

France vs. Togo tonight as well! Maybe France will finally win one?

Both games are on at the same time, which one to watch?

You could feel it last night, the way the shit was clinging to the air... Well its 2:43pm the next day now, shit winds have subsided, leaving a shit-residue that will not fade until 2010. Korea lost 0-2 against the Swiss, and France won 2-0 against Togo, so Korea is out. I went to City Hall with a few friends (including Sarahbelle), double fisting bottles of soju, and we got smack into the middle of hundreds of thousands of people and couldn't move an inch in any direction for at least an hour. It was the biggest crowd I've ever been in; a really cool experience. The chants were extremely loud and the hollaring the famous Korean catch phrase "FIGHTING!!!!!!" was often heard. Fighting they did, but with no luck. I thought Korea was outplaying the Swiss for most the 2nd half. Anyways, it was a good time and a sad disappointment all at once. Took me 2 hours to get home and I rolled in at 7:45am. Until next Cup, signing out from Korea,

Captain KevO