Jambands.ca

WORLD CUP

Guest Low Roller

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Davey Boy have you watched the France vs Canada game? Damn we lost 1 - 0 and hit the damn cross bar.

I hope I didnt ruin it for you ;)

That and the 2001[2000?] Gold Cup were the most glory this poor ole country has seen on the int'l soccer front

on another note- so Shrek McRooney's "injury free"? incredible, I wonder how that's going to play out. Also if Gerrard's 50-50 for the match tomorrow I hope he doesn't start and only comes on if things are going south...

That and the 2001[2000?] Gold Cup were the most glory this poor ole country has seen on the int'l soccer front

February 2000.

This is my favorite bit from that tourney:

In the group competition Canada finished in a three-way tie with Costa Rica and South Korea but won the tie-breaker coin toss.

Destiny baby. Destiny.

Germany owned Costa Rica in the first half, effectively shutting down Costa Rica at mid-field.

They did but they didnt look good doing it. They scored some nice goals but they looked like training ground goals against the reserve team. Costa Rica wasnt even in Germany's league. Germany needs to pull its defence and center half together real quick or they are going to be exposed alot. Getting beat up the middle like that for the first goal made them look like they were all lost. I hope they stick with Jens Lehmann in goal though. He shoud have had the first goal he just went down the wrong way. Unless they can turn the ship right around I dont think this will be Germany's year.

That was alot better this morning. Even though i hope England get totally embarassed on their way out of the tournament, I think they played well. Ashley Cole was about the only one who I would change for the next game. He just doesnt look confident. Its not his doing, you cant have a player that misses almost a full season and comes back for the last 3 games come out and be ready to play at that level right away. Rio had a fantastic game and the midfield was solid. Too bad the referee had a hard on for Peter Crouch because he had a great game and a well deserved yellow card. I would have been arguing

by that point too. If Rooney is fit for the next game there might be no holding them back.

So. How's the refereeing from your perspective, thus far?

I'd say overall they're doing alright, I like the way the dives are getting largely ignored. I LOVE how the one guy 'appealed' for the ref to give the guy that had just tackled him a card then got one himself for the appeal– that was awesome.

That said, there have been a few questionable refereeing decisions. Crouchy's card in particular was a disgrace, the 6 or 7 calls against him when he was cahllenging for headers were also absurd.

But yeah like i said i'm fairly happy overall

So. How's the refereeing from your perspective, thus far?

I think it has been great, considering I have only seen 3 full games thus far and parts of 4 others. I agree on the Crouch calls. I couldnt figure those out.

That England game was dull as fuck. They had better up the ante if they want to fair well in this tournament.

Everyone has World Cup fever here in Korea too for sure. There are high hopes for their team to repeat their breakout performance from 2002. Judging from their pre-Cup games, I'd say its not looking so good! Korea plays their first game tonight vs. Togo, the one game where they have a very good chance of winning. The city is going to be insane tonight!! I'm going to head down to City Hall to watch it. In 2002, 1 million people gathered there to watch!

Last night I could hear raging cheers going on outside my window whenever the Aussies scored against Japan -- Koreans hate the Japanese.

After Togo, Korea plays France and Switzerland.. They are gonna get toasted! But ya never know, no one thought they'd get to the top four (right?) in 2002.

BE THE REDS! (Korea's team slogan)

Your Jambands.Ca Korean World Cup Correspondant,

KevO

edit to add: I went to the Korea vs. Senegal pre-Cup friendly match here in Korea, it was wild! I'd never been to a big game before, and it was pretty intense to be there with 65,000 screaming Koreans. The game itself was a bit dull.. Score was 1-1. Park Ji-Sung is Korea's star player, a guy who usually plays for Manchester. He didn't play in the Senegal game but whenever they flashed his face on the screen, the whole place erupted.

Edited by Guest