Jambands.ca

A "Psychological" Optical Illusion

Kanada Kev

http://www.eyes-and-vision.com/influence-of-culture-on-visual-perception.html?rss.do

A "Psychological" Optical Illusion:

The influence of culture and environment can have an effect on our visual perception. This theory was first explored by Robert Laws, a Scottish missionary working in Malawi, Africa, during the late 1800's. Take a look at the picture below. What you see will largely depend on where you live in the world. After you have examined the picture, scroll down for a more detailed explanation.

opticalillusion.jpg

So What Did You See?

What is above the woman's head? When scientists showed a similar sketch to people from East Africa, nearly all the participants in the experiment said she was balancing a box or metal can on her head. In a culture containing few angular visual cues, the family is seen sitting under a tree. Westerners, on the other hand, are accustomed to the corners and boxlike shapes of architecture. They are more likely to place the family indoors and to interpret the rectangle above the woman's head as a window through which shrubbery can be seen.

i feel that it is too shitty of a drawing to make an accurate judgement . The next question should be "which of the people depicted in the shitty drawing are male, and which are female?"

Precisely what I thought. Though I did think one kid and one woman looked white while the rest did not....wtf does that say?...exscuse me...caucasion.

Edited by Guest