Jambands.ca

Euro 2008

M.O.B.E

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a lot of glum faces on The Danforth today (and last night). However, what great atmosphere on the street. Almost every restaurant (and there's upwards of 90 in a 15-minute walk) has the Euro matches blaring on TV - you can walk by any patio and watch or hear the in-progress matches. Great stuff.

My folks are in Holland now, they were walking down a street during the game on Friday and could tell when the dutch goals were scored from noise levels.

and yes i lambasted them for not watching the game themselves.

interesting setup for tomorrow though, Van Basten will rest most of the first team i'm sure, the other game will be intriguing

crazy stuff yesterday, can't believe Cech dropped that...

I think its in the Dutchs' best interest to give Romania a chance to go through...Romania win = qualification. If Romania and the Dutch draw and same result from France/Italy, Romania go through. Either way if I was Dutch I would be doing everything I could to pull Romania through. I think we can pretty much write France off but who is to say until 90 minutes is up.

Im wishin Hagi was 15 years younger right now.

Real competitors would rather play agianst real competition, a title means nothing if you beat the worst team available to get it.

Not in this game. Real competitors are real tacticians. Is it smarter to take a team through with you who can beat you and has beat you everytime you played them in the last 40 years or take the sure road to the Final. I know if I was Dutch I would have wanted Italy gone. The whole idea of being a competitor is to elimate your closest competition and to do it quickly.

Football is like a war...if you want to win the war you have to pick and choose your battles. Italy is never a smart battle to choose.

Football is like a war...if you want to win the war you have to pick and choose your battles. Italy is never a smart battle to choose.

I guess the New York Football giants would have preferred if the Patriot's were simply disqualified and they didn't have to play the superbowl to get the trophy? Meaningless.

I guess the New York Football giants would have preferred if the Patriot's were simply disqualified and they didn't have to play the superbowl to get the trophy? Meaningless.

My personal experience is you play whoever is placed against you. However there is also some tactical apsects in a tournment like Euro 2008. If you qualify for the next round and a 3rd win will not improve your position for the playoffs your team has EVERY right to rest players. If by chance you loose that game etc Portugal vs Switzerland so be it.

i think the war analogy has more to do with tactics, not loss of life or anything.

the itnerviews i read from van basten leading up to that Romania game had him saying that he didn't want to lose momentum at all.

Spain-Italy is looking like a cracknig game- there's loads of history between the two countries with an overarching theme of Spain claiming to play attractive positive fitba while looking down their noses at the Italians despite the Italian history of success