Jambands.ca

Bluesfest has begun

bagochips

Scroll down for funny Steely Dan comments and sad Brian Wilson comments

Limo ladies chill with Snoop

Chris Cobb, The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Saturday, July 12, 2008

Veteran rapper Snoop Dogg and his posse of 20 some musicians, managers and security guards partied the night away after their early Bluesfest show on Sunday. The rapper's management had ordered five vans to ferry the group back to the hotel at around 8 p.m. but were still cavorting in their four-room trailer three hours later.

After the show, a limousine appeared at a backstage gate and out poured a bevy of young women. Who they were remains a mystery. Why they were there is easier to figure out.

Snoop had asked for a stereo system so he could listen to the soothing, melodic music of Marvin Gaye while he and his band partied with the limo girls. Part way into the festivities, the lights suddenly went out. Backstage manager Sandra Monsour, concerned there had been a power outage, opened the trailer door, only to be met by Snoop's giant of a bodyguard, James.

"You ain't goin' in there," James said. So she didn't.

"But it was all very discreet," commented Monsour.

An hour later, the lights came on, the boys and girls trooped out into the night.

Snoop, who had arrived five minutes before going on stage, was "very friendly and very pleasant" added Monsour. She did, however, fail in one mission: To connect Snoop with ailing blues veteran Johnny Winter who, for reasons unknown, told her that he admired Snoop and would like to meet him.

"Snoop arrived late and after his show wouldn't leave the party to go over (to the River stage). And Johnny, who went onstage late, isn't too mobile. So it didn't happen."

- - -

The vans used to ferry artists to and from hotels, are sometimes mistaken for hotel transportation, as Richard Thompson and his tour manager, soundman and friend Simon Tassano discovered as they walked toward the van booked to bring them to the Bluesfest site last Saturday. Inside were four tourists waiting for a ride to the airport. They apologized and as they were climbing from the vehicle one turned to Simon and asked:

"Are you Walter Becker?"

"Why yes," responded Mr. Tassano.

"Would you have your photo taken with me?"

"Sure," replied Simon, "let me finish loading this equipment."

The tourist left, happy to have posed with one of Steely Dan's founding members. One day he will show it to a Steely Dan fan.

- - -

It was clear to anyone watching Brian Wilson perform that the ravages of drugs and mental illness have left him impaired. While driving to the gig with Wilson on Wednesday, one of his entourage spotted a huge building on Wellington Street and asked his driver,"What church is that?"

"It's not a church," responded the driver. "It's our Parliament Buildings."

"Ah, yes, this is the capital isn't it?" replied the visitor. He then turned to Wilson: "Brian when you're on stage say 'It's good to be in Ottawa.' Got that. Now say it back to me Brian."

Minutes into his show, Wilson repeated the exact words.

Backstage, the writer of the Beach Boys' most memorable music was subdued, but clearly delighted by the homemade chocolate chip cookies that were requested in his contract.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have eaten of the gumbo. Go see Sauce Boss today if you get the chance: River Stage, 1:15pm.

What are people excited for today? I'm a big fan of Mr. Something Something (7:45pm, Black Sheep Stage), but there aren't any other standouts for me today (there's enough stuff to make me want to wander around, but nothing I have a burning desire to try to be at).

Aloha,

Brad

I think the blacksheep stage will be filled with lots of rhythm in the afternoon. My friends drumming group, Baobab will be performing so I'll be catching that at 4:00. There's also Jam Clinic on that stage at 1:30, kind of curious as to what that is.

Then Robert Randolph at 8:00. And if I'm feeling adventurous I may even check out Sean Paul at 6:00. Get busy.

Sad that it's the last day and kind of rainy though :(

It was clear to anyone watching Brian Wilson perform that the ravages of drugs and mental illness have left him impaired. While driving to the gig with Wilson on Wednesday, one of his entourage spotted a huge building on Wellington Street and asked his driver,"What church is that?"

"It's not a church," responded the driver. "It's our Parliament Buildings."

"Ah, yes, this is the capital isn't it?" replied the visitor. He then turned to Wilson: "Brian when you're on stage say 'It's good to be in Ottawa.' Got that. Now say it back to me Brian."

Minutes into his show, Wilson repeated the exact words.

Backstage, the writer of the Beach Boys' most memorable music was subdued, but clearly delighted by the homemade chocolate chip cookies that were requested in his contract.

to come to the defense of a Beach Boy, this is classic here-say. fucking might as well be published in the enquirer.

Wyclef was fun in the pouring rain. Fun not musically mind bending, just fun. He played snippets of tonnes of songs every knew (In November, No Woman No Cry, several Fugees songs, Redemption Song etc). And I mean pouring not raining, by the time I got home on my bike my clothes easily outweighed my body.

That is the first BF performer I have seen that went beyond ackowledging the freeloading fans out on the street- he and Akon actually waded through the crowd went over the fence and performed a song from the streetside. Security looked to be unaware it was going to happen, and clearly the lighting guy wasn't sure what the hell to do. Good show, great fun!

S

Mofro were great. Can't say the same about Wyclef. I wanted to see Tom Wilson at the Barney Danson Theatre, but the lineup looked too long by the time Mofro's set was over.

I really like some Fugees stuff that I've heard and I really enjoyed his performance on Storytellers. But, apart from some brief moments, I couldn't get into his set. Lots of "let's see those hands!" chants from Wyclef. That actually reminded me a bit of Franti. A lot of the music seemed to have this Carribean (I guess Haitian) dance feel to it. Not my thing. I left at about 10:30.

Not planning to see any shows today. Need to get some work done and get some rest.

this was one of the best nights of the festival!

we (me & velvet) arrived just as anders osborne was starting on the black sheep stage, and couldn't tear ourselves away for his entire set. rockin southern blues with jams reminiscent of the dead. then we only got to red volkearrt for the last song, but it was jessica and was great.

after some food we caught robert randolph's set, which was incredible. he had so much energy that by the end of it he actually had ALL the lawnchair people up dancing...nuff said. that is in my top 3 shows of the fest this year.

we saw the start of donna summer's set, and she appeared onstage from behind a revolving panel, dressed in purple sparkles. the stage had a bunch of screens on it showing castles in the clouds and swirling blue and green light behind donna as she sang.

we popped over to the black sheep for the moroccan drummers but it wasn't for us and so we went to tony D's set. that wasn't grabbing us either, so we wandered over to the river stage just in time to catch don mclean doing vincent and american pie which was a huge singalong. it was fun.

donna summer was still playing so we watched the end of that which was pretty rockin...she works hard for the money> hot stuff> bad girls.

a great night to end a PERFECT bluesfest! :)