Jambands.ca

Corel word...

Velvet

Hi everyone,

I have a floppy disc (I recently discovered that they are obsoleting) with a Corel word file on it - nothing sneaky, just a bunch of musical quotes - and when I pop it into my computer I'm told I don't have Corel (I had it on an old 'puter), and of course Corel wants money for me to download their program.

So if someone out there has Corel, I was wondering if I could send you the file so you can open it and send it back to me.

If you can help drop me a line with your email address.

Thanks!

This may not help with an older file, but its worth a shot...I found it online so I haven't actually tried it:

1. Select Start | Control Panel.

2. In Windows XP, open "Add or Remove Programs." In Windows Vista, open "Programs and Features".

3. Select the entry for Microsoft Office, whichever edition it is.

4. In Windows XP, select the"Change" button.. In Windows Vista, select "Change" at the top of the window above the program listings.

5. For both Office 2003 and Office 2007 select "Add or Remove Features."

6. For Windows 2003 check "Choose advanced customization of options," then "Next."

7. In both Office 2003 and Office 2007 expand the entry for "Office Shared Features" by selecting the "+" next to it.

8. Change the setting for "Converters and Filters" to " Run All from My Computer."

9. For Windows XP, select "Update." For Windows Vista, select "Continue."

10. When the update has completed, close the control panel windows.

Now, you can open a WordPerfect document in Word.

1. Open Word.

2. Select File | Open.

3. Change the "Document Type" to "All Files."

4. Browse for the Wordperfect document.

5. Select it and then select "Open."

Lord have mercy on my soul!

Mr. Photogeek, I tried what you suggested and it totally worked. Usually I hate computers but today you made me love!

As a treat, here is one of the pages of quotes I was magically able to open:

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."

Frank Zappa

"I think people who can live their life in music are telling the world: 'You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don't need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it's the very best, and it's the part I give most willingly."

-George Harrison

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, ‘You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.’â€

-Douglas Adams

“With an art form, there’s no right or wrong, man.â€

-Lenny Bruce

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music."

-Jimi Hendrix

"There are only two kinds of music - good and bad"

-Duke Ellington

"Without music, life would be a mistake...I would only believe in a God who knew how to dance."

-Tasheen Friedrich Nietzsche

“With an art form, there’s no right or wrong, man.”

-Lenny Bruce

haha.... that's a really good one. if lenny was alive today, I am sure his entire act would be based on him spewing out really wrong humour in this politically correct climate.

I'm bet that Michael Richards may took that quote literally.

Well, if you liked those, here's a few more:

"Aside from purely technical analysis, nothing can be said about music, except when it is bad; when it is good, one can only listen and be grateful."

-Wystan Hugh Auden

“The challenge for me is writing an instant composition while I’m playing.â€

-Frank Zappa

“Those people who say ‘I can improvise easily’ - they are amateurs.â€

-Jean Langlais

"I'd rather be a flop at show business than to be a success at something I didn't like."

-George Burns

“Silence is more musical than any song.â€

-Christina Rossetti

"All good music resembles something. Good music stirs by its mysterious resemblance to the objects and feelings which motivated it."

-Jean Cocteau

“If you’re not going to look interested, there’s no reason to expect the audience to be interested.â€

-Clint Eastwood

“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.â€

-Frank Zappa

"Music is so naturally united with us that we cannot be free from it even if we so desired."

-Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius

"There are only twelve tones. You must treat them carefully."

-Paul Hindemith