Jambands.ca

Winter Olympics Vancouver 2010

nibbler

I lived on Vancouver Island for a couple of years. I freaking loved the winters there' date=' and in Vancouver because , well, to be honest, THE WINTERS DON'T EXIST. When they gave the Olympics to Vancouver I immediately said it would be problematic considering WINTER DOESN'T EXIST IN VANCOUVER. Now they have to import snow. To the winter Olympics. Think about that for a second. Sometimes I feel like Im the only one who ever gives a shit about anything.[/quote']

Cypress Mountain just had the warmest January in recorded history and Vancouver just had one of the warmest on record, I've heard rumblings of another el nino. All the Vancouver events are indoors, Whistler is famous for having metres of snow, and Cypress Mountain generally has tons of snow as well.

Like, do you really, really think these people didn't check to see if snow is normal and expected for these areas?

Of course I did, I was just making a joke. They are importing snow to the winter Olympics. Thats funny dammit.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived on Vancouver Island for a couple of years. I freaking loved the winters there' date=' and in Vancouver because , well, to be honest, THE WINTERS DON'T EXIST. When they gave the Olympics to Vancouver I immediately said it would be problematic considering WINTER DOESN'T EXIST IN VANCOUVER. Now they have to import snow. To the winter Olympics. Think about that for a second. Sometimes I feel like Im the only one who ever gives a shit about anything.[/quote']

Cypress Mountain just had the warmest January in recorded history and Vancouver just had one of the warmest on record, I've heard rumblings of another el nino. All the Vancouver events are indoors, Whistler is famous for having metres of snow, and Cypress Mountain generally has tons of snow as well.

Like, do you really, really think these people didn't check to see if snow is normal and expected for these areas?

Of course I did, I was just making a joke. They are importing snow to the winter Olympics. Thats funny dammit.

You're right, my apologies.

I suppose I'm a little edgy 'cuz I'm excited to be experiencing the Olympics for the first time and everyone seems to be kinda negative about it.

I suppose I'm a little edgy 'cuz I'm excited to be experiencing the Olympics for the first time and everyone seems to be kinda negative about it.

Not everybody, I am excited as hell...I have a lot of friends from PEI that are there now, mostly bandmates and friends who are playing shows there. Have a great time, I wish I was going.

http://www.snopes.com/travel/foreign/olympics.asp

Q: I have never seen it warm on Canadian TV, so how do the plants grow? ( England )

A. We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around and watch them die.

Q: Will I be able to see Polar Bears in the street? ( USA )

A: Depends on how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Vancouver to Toronto - can I follow the Railroad tracks? ( Sweden )

A: Sure, it's only Four thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Canada ? ( Sweden )

A: So it's true what they say about Swedes.

Q: Are there any ATM's (cash machines) in Canada ? Can you send me a list of them in Toronto , Vancouver , Edmonton and Halifax ? (England )

A: No, but you'd better bring a few extra furs for trading

purposes.

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Canada ( USA )

A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe Ca-na-da is that big country to your North....oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Calgary Come naked.

Q: Which direction is North in Canada ? ( USA ) A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Canada ? ( England )

A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? ( USA )

A: Aus-t ri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Vancouver and in Calgary , straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: Do you have perfume in Canada ? ( Germany )

A: No, WE don't stink.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Where can I sell it in Canada ? ( USA )

A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Can you tell me the regions in British Columbia where the

female population is smaller than the male population? ( Italy )

A: Yes, gay nightclubs.

Q: Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada ? ( USA )

A: Only at Thanksgiving.

Q: Are there supermarkets in Toronto and is milk available all year round? ( Germany )

A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of Vegan hunter/gathers. Milk is illegal.

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Canada , but I forget its name. It's a kind of big horse with horns. ( USA )

A: It's called a Moose. They are tall and very violent, eating

the brains of anyone walking close to them.. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? ( USA )

A: Yes, but you will have to learn it first.

A) No worries!

B) I've noticed the negativity too and its sad that people feel that way about something that really promotes a lot of good. So Im sorry, didn't mean to come off that way. I'm very excited about the Olympics, and very jealous that you get to go! I watched a show (Olympic propaganda to some people) about how ecologically friendly these games are, and it made me happy because some people like to equate the olympics with killing puppies. When your there, if you get a chance, you should check out the skating facilities - they're pretty awesome, and built with a conscience.

I'm all for you having a good time, so I hope I don't contribute to a downer, but I don't really care if the games are ecologically sound or buildings are consciously-built (kind of a funny term), but there are real concerns about the games and BC's finances. There are teacher layoffs, the downtown east side and many more issues that I'd argue are more important that a ton of gleaming sponsorship messages and a bit of sport thrown in.

Since the games are going to happen and nothing will

change that I'll be watching and cheering etc, but the billions of dollars could have been better spent to help people who need helping.

Isn't there a chance that all the spending in Vancouver kept a lot of people working? A glance at the Cultural Olympiad makes it look like a lot of artists are making a few bucks off this too.

The Olympics are an investment in sports and health promotion, culture, and international relations.

Of course if the Olympics weren't happening in Vancouver the Harper Gov't would be going on a social service spending spree, right? Yeah, right!

It looks like the Olympics are proof that people love to complain.

Also, I urge you to be on a lookout for corporate advertisements at the games. I think you'll notice the boards surprisingly barren.

The olympic party scene will be rockin. So will the protests. Cops posted on every street corner in Vancouver sounds like they're expecting some big noise! (not to mention spending a big security budget!)

If I was going out west for such a trip I'd be sure to take in the olympic vibe from both perspectives.

To all planning on attending, have fun, be safe, and please share the stories with us less fortunate ones!

Isn't there a chance that all the spending in Vancouver kept a lot of people working? A glance at the Cultural Olympiad makes it look like a lot of artists are making a few bucks off this too.

The Olympics are an investment in sports and health promotion, culture, and international relations.

Of course if the Olympics weren't happening in Vancouver the Harper Gov't would be going on a social service spending spree, right? Yeah, right!

It looks like the Olympics are proof that people love to complain.

Also, I urge you to be on a lookout for corporate advertisements at the games. I think you'll notice the boards surprisingly barren.

All this is obvious. People are just jealous.

I'd be there if it was feasible.

I'd be there too ... especially if it didn't cost anything ;) That's the rub. How many activities/events going on will be open to the public without the need to spendspendspend to get in??

My sister is heading out next week for a few days and she mentioned that all the medal ceremonies at night, and the music events are pay to get in. I think $50 or something????

The most fun would be infiltrating and partying with all the athletes i think.

At this point, being a downer about what's behind the games is fairly ineffective.

I'd have an easier time not grumbling about the olympics if VANOC and the BC Gov't actually came through on their promises.

Of course The return on this investment is nonexistant but they could have come through with at least a few pluses.

Wish I were there for all of this.

I'd be there too ... especially if it didn't cost anything ;) That's the rub. How many activities/events going on will be open to the public without the need to spendspendspend to get in??

My sister is heading out next week for a few days and she mentioned that all the medal ceremonies at night, and the music events are pay to get in. I think $50 or something????

The most fun would be infiltrating and partying with all the athletes i think.

There's tons of free entertainment - Jim Cuddy told me both of Blue Rodeo's shows are free to the public - go to the Olympic website and click the link for the cultural Olympiad.

As phorbesie said the medal ceremony/concert tix were $26 each, and an amazing thing is how low the service charges were. I forget exactly what they were, but across the board they were the cheapest ticket service charges I think I've ever paid, maybe 5% or something. Sure we paid a lot for the Gold Medal hockey game, but it's the fucking Gold Medal hockey game!

It's great to see both sides are representing - "This is costing too much money," and "They shouldn't be charging anything, the Olympics should be free."