Jambands.ca

Five CD Changer For A Dreary Wednesday...

secondtube

quote:

Originally posted by shainhouse:

The only time I heard Television it left a sour taste in my mouth but I'll give em' another chance.

If I had heard Television when I was in my late teens or early 20's I probably wouldn't have given them much of a chance. I didn't really " get " the Talking Heads, The Ramones, The Clash and Patti Smith either, until I hit my late 20's. My tastes have evolved/changed over the past 15 years to the point where most jambands out there do nothing to inspire me - they are too predictable and familiar to me. I get bored. I need to look elsewhere, whether that being in new underground punk bands or influential bands of a certain era that I never really had an ear for when I was growing up.

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

quote:

Fareed Haque "Deja Vu" >>Part of the Blue Note Cover Series of albums. Fareed plays the CSNY classic.

One of my best The Beat Goes On scores ever...

8 bucks for Fareed playing Deja Vu...

Wow.

Yep, its pretty fun. Ever listen to Charlie Hunter play "Natty Dread" ??

"My tastes have evolved/changed over the past 15 years to the point where most jambands out there do nothing to inspire me "

Jaimoe:

Come on now.............

You need a New Years resolution!

I know what your problem is, and it has been for years. If it is labelled a 'Jamband', you immediately dismiss it, unless you listen to them for more than 45 seconds and those 45 seconds fit your bill.

First of all, get RID of the labels, start smoking some herb and "mellow out man."

Good music is good music. That's it. You like good music, and whatever you think, most of the bands you like fit that *Jamband* label. Deal with it.

What is pissing you off are the labels more than anything cause most bands you love are *Jambands* and what the hell are those?

A stupid label.................

I am also sick of:

"If I had heard Television when I was in my late teens or early 20's I probably wouldn't have given them much of a chance."

So, you are so much smarter now than when you were young? What the fuck is that? You like what you like when you are a certain age. Pay attention to what you like now, it may change.

You may dig Phil Collins later..........are you better for it?

People like what they like, that's it.

Sorry Jaimoe, you asked for it [Wink]

and I will probably be stoned...........

[Wink]

Dave, I honestly know what you are getting at, and lets leave it here until Saturday. Your delivery has been questionable since your 'Second Tube -Dickey Betts' rebuttal.

Well, in my mind anyways.........

I have sent this link to my email addy so we can talk about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

Well, fuck.

Who's stoned now?

Ahem..... -

Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Guest Low Roller

This thread is getting fucking good. Beats that SNL thread.

I am behind Jaimoe on this one. When I was 17 all I knew was that Pennywise and Bad Religion were the shit. If I had listened to the Grateful Dead back then, I highly doubt I would've liked them. Whether it be an age thing, or some form of musical refinement, it is true than not all can appreciate certain music at certain points in their lives.

"I am behind Jaimoe on this one."

You fucktard...........if you were ANYONE else, I would let this go.

Did you see what he wrote the other day to ST?

THAT was my point. In essence, I agree with him as well. Ask DaveO, he'll explain. I am sure he got 'it'

I was being 'subtle'.

Looks like a King Of The Ring is coming boys. The first one is this Saturday night in Kingston.

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

I am also sick of:

"If I had heard Television when I was in my late teens or early 20's I probably wouldn't have given them much of a chance."

So, you are so much smarter now than when you were young? What the fuck is that? You like what you like when you are a certain age. Pay attention to what you like now, it may change.

You may dig Phil Collins later..........are you better for it?

People like what they like, that's it.

Sorry Jaimoe, you asked for it
[Wink]

What Jaimoe's saying makes sense to me. I think musical tastes evolve rather than just change.. EG I bought Bitches Brew about 6 years ago and listened to it once and didn't know what the hell was goin on! I thought it was crap. I went back to it about 6 months ago and now its one of my favourite albums. Haven't you had the same thing happen before Booche?

quote:

Look, I know you are a lot younger than me so you wouldn't necessarily have a point of comparison between line-ups, but this incarnation is more or less an Allman tribute band.

I personally loved that line. Of course i wouldn't have a point of comparison; i'm much younger.

[Wink]

Only thing i can say is, when i'm Jaimoe's age, i know I will have listened to tons of cool music.

That’s all.

quote:

If I had listened to the Grateful Dead back then, I highly doubt I would've liked them. Whether it be an age thing, or some form of musical refinement, it is true than not all can appreciate certain music at certain points in their lives.

well i can tell you i AM currently 17, and i agree that not ALL can apreciate certain music at certain points in their lives. just as most 40 year olds i know dont like the dead, or most other jambands, most 17 year olds i know dont as well. i've always kind of seen the jamband culture as a kind of fringy culture, so it makes sense.

its certainly not an age thing, its obviously a personal preference thing. as booche said

quote:

you like what you like when you are a certain age

but i dont think you anyone can say that only after a certain age can one become capable of apreciating certain music (im not implying that low roller was getting at that). i was lucky enough to stumble across kind of blue album when i was 13, become a huge jazz fan, meet new people through that who in turn introduced me to jazzier jambands like mmw and sco, which then instilled an interest in me for jambands, and i was brought to today where i cant get enough of it. i listen to all sorts of music still, but my musical heart and soul truly rests in jambands. i dont think im a special case or 'enlightened' or something like that, ive met people who find it strange that a younger person digs alot of these bands, and some who assume i simply know phish and dmb and grow my hair long and wear birkenstoks to try and fit into some sort of social trend [Wink] . i dont even know what im getting at but i wanted to throw in my 2 cents, or dollars aparently, as a representative of my age.

word.

Archived