Jambands.ca

This might be it (virus)

Velvet

My computer is fucking up again. It sorta doesn't recognise the mouse, like the curser moves around and such but it won't click anything.

I try and run a virus check - the virus checker says my last virus check was (will be?) 11/11/11, and it says my last virus checker update was (will be?) 11/20/11. (AVG free virus checker)

I checked my calendar and it's set for today's date.

Any suggestions?

I honestly think if this computer craps out I'm gonna try very hard to resist buying another. I go nuts supporting an industry where "More than half of these units will crap out on you the first year" (the sales pitch I was given while computer shopping).

If this is it, I'll still check the internet from work a few days a week, so I'll still be around.

Honestly, that sounds like the mouse is dying or has died. Usually (although not always) non-responsive "clicks" are due to something inside the mouse giving out, usually from regular old wear and tear or because it was a cheap mouse. Almost always it's the "left clicks" that stop working.

Try a different mouse as suggested. If it still the same, then we'll check other options. Process of elimination etc etc...

I was misleading regarding the mouse comment. The mice I have work fine.

I point my curser at things and click them, but nothing happens. Once I alt/ctrl/del the clicking will work again.

My virus protection (vt) says the date is incorrect, but I can't figure out how to correct it. When I try to update my vt it won't complete it, and when I do a vt scan it gets almost done then tells me the scan has been cancelled. It suggests I restart the scan but gives me no way of restarting it.

Special thanks to phishtaper, DB and sloth for reminding me that if I do indeed find myself without a computer that I won't be missing much.

First thing, what operating system are you running? (XP, Windows 7, Vista etc).

It could be due to the time being incorrect, and when the program tried to access certain files they are mis-dated which will cause issues.

I know a good site for online scans, but it can take quite awhile, but it's thorough (more then AVG) and trusted, but I'd rather try to solve this without doing that yet.

Once I know your OS, I'll post how to reset the time. I found a bunch of people who have had this issue of the mouse not working - in some cases, uninstalling the mouse and restarting the computer worked, for others it took reinstalling the OS and in some cases a hardware issue was the culprit, but none were due to viruses.

Here's this link to the online virus scanner, in case you'd rather just scan for a virus. Make sure to disable AVG when performing the scan.

http://go.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Follow the instructions in "Step One" (The Step Two is for purchasing) and your go to go, but be warned depending on your hard drive size and number or files/problems this scan can take a long time. But this company is one of the better security/anti-virus companies.

For me the scan took 6+ hours - but I had 3.5 TB scanned.

When I start my computer it says "Windows" somewhere along the way, so I assume my op is windows?

The computer clock is set properly.

The AVG security thing is the part with the incorrect date setting. The AVG claims my last scan was 11/11/11 and my last update was 20/11/11.

Again, my computer is set to the proper day and time.

XP, Windows 7 and Vista are all Windows. But different operating systems and have different ways to resolving problems.

Regarding your AV issue: According the the AVG forums, if your scanner logs are showing wrong date they recommend deleting the old scan files. Otherwise, uninstall AVG and reinstall. AVG (and any AV program) get the time from your computer, so if at any time your computers time was wrong, the scan logs will still be wrong after the computers time is fixed.

Best I can offer with no info to go on, sorry.

Special thanks to phishtaper, DB and sloth for reminding me that if I do indeed find myself without a computer that I won't be missing much.

Except of course for the whatever the hell you were surfing that gave you this potential virus. Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink.

How disabled is your system? Can you google?

If so, google your exact symptoms. Someone may have already solved this for you.

Second, boot into safe mode (hold down f8 during a reboot). Run AVG in saf emode.

Third, did this just start? If so, do a system restore. You're probably either running vista or xp. In vista it's under all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore. I can't remember how xp does it so google it. Restore it to a date where this shit wasn't happening.

Do you have another working computer in the house (ie Heather's laptop) and a usb stick? If so I can probably save your Luddite ass yet again but only if you promise to write a song about how awesome iPhones are. I'll accept a song about how awesome tablets are. Call me tonight but only after all the stipulations have been met.

Now I understand some of you don't know Sarah Jane, so I'll tell you a little bit about her. She's a lesbian eskimo midget albino. she went to college and she started the lesbian eskimo midget albino student union, and 400 people signed up! There they were, hundreds of 'em - lesbian midget left-handed eskimo albinos. Did i mention the fact she's left handed? She's left handed alright. Girl's got some strange hobbies. One of her hobbies is lowering children into open man-holes. Which is kind of difficult cause a lot of the children are taller than her, her being a midget and everything - or her being a left-handed midget - or her being a left-handed lesbian midget - or her left-handed lesbian albino midget - or her being a left-handed lesbian albino midget eskimo. Life can be really difficult on that young lady. She bit me once, you know. Right here. You see this? Left a mark. She was lowering a friend of mine's kid into the sewer. I run up and tried to stop her, I said "listen there you lesbian midget left-handed albino! You stop right there!" And she bit me. I'm afraid I'm gonna... I'm gonna turn into a lesbian left-handed midget albino when the moon is full. Oh my god the moon is full tonight! I can feel myself shrinking. I can feel myself getting left-handed. I can feel myself getting the urge to build an igloo. I can feel my skin turning white and my eyes getting red. I can feel - I can feel the urge to buy a Suzanne Vega album! Noooo!!! Noooo!!!! Noooo!!!! Auuggghhh!!! Oh, okay, it was just gas.

I honestly think if this computer craps out I'm gonna try very hard to resist buying another. I go nuts supporting an industry where "More than half of these units will crap out on you the first year" (the sales pitch I was given while computer shopping).

Guy was probably just trying to sell you the extended warranty. As soon as you say no to that the sales person will tell you that your purchase (computer, TV, etc.) is likely to die within a year. Don't listen to them so much. My laptop is over 5 years old and I've never had a problem with it.

Regardless of what you buy next, be informed. Macs can get viruses too.

Thanks very much folks. I'm going to start trying your suggestions one at a time.

I'm sure many of your suggestions will involve restarting and I will pay close attention at that time to see what my OS is.

Sloth: kind offer though I'm still weighing the payment options.

Seriously though, a friend at work said he would take a look at it on Thursday. I'll bring it to him then, hopefully everything will already be fixed from your suggestions, but if there's still a ghost in the machine I'll start working on your cellphone appreciation song Monday.

Thanks again. If this works I may change my name to:

iTod

Safe mode is freaky.

I deleted the scan history and ran AVG in safe mode. It found a virus that it hadn't found previously.

I'm doing another scan right now and will have to experiment with other suggested solutions later.

Gotta practise my G chord for tonight.

I just remembered my neighbour had a problem last summer and was freaking out. When I went to try and detect, and remove a virus I had no access to run virus software, or install any. Her virus actually targeted virus scanners.

Ultimately, I had to go into safe mode and was able to reinstall avg and clean out the virus. There were registry entries etc that the virus screwed with to disable certain functionality.

So basically, viruses can disable the ability to run virus scans, or even make you think that nothing was found.

If you can get AVG to run clean through in normal mode you should do a subsequent scan with Malwarebytes, it's not an active scanner but it's more thorough.

Here's a download link (click the green download button on the page, not the trick red download buttons)

Malwarebytes

Install it and click "Finish" with both option boxes checked (update and launch boxes). Once it updates and launches select "Perform Full Scan" then click scan. You should be good after it has done its magic (just take its advice if it finds something else).